Canada and America fail at EV rollout

Both gov’t supposedly wholly committed. Due to basic incompetence more than anything else epic fail. Hybrids would have made much more sense as primary focus. And mass transit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-solutions/2024/03/28/ev-charging-stations-slow-rollout/

Add to this both gov’t imposing 100 percent tariff on cheap EVs that the masses might buy to drive locally maybe as a primary vehicle with a gas backup for longer drives.

Add to this both gov’t imposing 100 percent tariff on cheap EVs that the masses might buy to drive locally maybe as a primary vehicle with a gas backup for longer drives.

Cheap EVs from China which a) are shitty for the environment b) would kill jobs here

For me personally a plug in hybrid makes the most sense due to weather and driving patters. There also aren’t enough large SUV vehicles either.

I strongly considered one last time I bought a car, but it was during the pandemic so I bought what I could get.

For me personally a plug in hybrid makes the most sense due to weather and driving patters. There also aren’t enough large SUV vehicles either.

I strongly considered one last time I bought a car, but it was during the pandemic so I bought what I could get.

Plug in with on board generator like the OG Volt and BMW i3 with range extender makes the most sense to me.

Both gov’t supposedly wholly committed.

Ummm… nope. They absolutely half assed it. And it was clear from the beginning that they were half assing it.

Why are you blaming the government?

It’s the auto companies who have screwed the pooch. Tesla has proven that smaller efficient EV’s will sell like hotcakes, but the Big Auto Companies decided that huge ev monster trucks are the way to go. Guess what, EV drivers don’t want a monster truck and Monster Truck drivers don’t want an EV.

Add to that the fact that GM announced the Silverado EV almost 3 years ago and still is barely making them. The put a Blazer on sale with so many software problems that they had to stop selling them, they show a smaller EV but don’t seem to have any for sale. And the one small EV that was popular, they cancelled

The Ford lightning is already obsolete and it’s way to big

Chrysler is still showing drawings.

So where did the government screw up. To me, it’s just corporate incompetence.

Counterpoint. EVs have 7-8% total market share, and the 2nd best-selling car in the U.S. is an EV. 5th overall after the 3 big trucks and the Toyota RAV4.

Has EV adoption slowed? Yes, it has. But it’s still growing.

The tech is still evolving. At some point there’ll be an inflection point where that 7-8% goes to like 50-70%. That last 20-30% will be tough, as some kinds of truck/RV stuff will be hard to make cost-effective for EV, even after we get amazeballs solid-state battery stuff.

The U.S. could have not done all those EV subsidies…but that might have just handed the market entirely to China. It’ll be hard enough to compete with China even with the subsidies. But a lot of amazing battery tech is brewing in U.S. universities and labs.

Ironically, EVs finally seem to almost make sense from a purely consumer driven economic perspective…

Stupid Americans and Canadians:

“Now we will never by EVs. That would prove that we think about stuff before we do it. We can’t have people thinking that.”

Ironically, EVs finally seem to almost make sense from a purely consumer driven economic perspective…

Pretty close. Speaking about the U.S. the Tesla Model 3/Y, in particular, even without subsidy are pretty damn competitive just by the numbers. We paid a bit more for a Ford Mach E just because…Elon. The other car is intentionally gas, though, given we do a lot of mountain and desert driving where chargers can be hard to find.

In China it’s practically an no-brainer, I think with out cheaply BYD, et al, can churn those things out.

There are some horrific environmental costs, but they’re stll marginally less horrific than the equivalent ICE car.

Still anyone who guys either a Cybertruck or a Hummer EV should have their “green card” confiscated and shredded in front of them. Those things are abominations, particularly since 90-something% of their use is as single-occupant urban commuter. I’m a bit of an off-roader (to get to trails for hiking/running/cycling), and I’ve yet to see either of those things off road.

People buy what they want
Not what is most practical.

People want to be “rugged country men.”
That’s why they buy “rugged country men” vehicles.

People buy cyber-trucks and EV SUVs because they want to be “modern rugged country men.”

It’s the auto companies who have screwed the pooch. Tesla has proven that smaller efficient EV’s will sell like hotcakes, but the Big Auto Companies decided that huge ev monster trucks are the way to go. Guess what, EV drivers don’t want a monster truck and Monster Truck drivers don’t want an EV.

Add to that the fact that GM announced the Silverado EV almost 3 years ago and still is barely making them. The put a Blazer on sale with so many software problems that they had to stop selling them, they show a smaller EV but don’t seem to have any for sale. And the one small EV that was popular, they cancelled

Why is nobody coming out with a PHEV pick up? That seems like the best of all worlds. Save money on driving around town doing the soccer mom thing or short trips that are usually the worst on fuel economy but you can still tow a trailer/boat hundreds of km on the weekends etc. Seems like a no brainier.

Bcitri…

I know it sounds like I am just being argumentative…

But read my post…

Most people don’t by the car that makes the most sense.

They buy the car they want.

What people usually want is the product advertisers are selling the hardest

Advertisers push the products with the highest margins, the hardest.

Very few people need a SUV or a pickup!

What most people need is a used Nissan Versa.

But there is very little margin in that!

There is a huge margin in SUVs and pick-ups.
That’s what people want!!

A PHEV probably make sense for a trades person.

A product that “makes sense” doesn’t usually have a huge margin.

The big money is in selling a people what they want!

Why is nobody coming out with a PHEV pick up? That seems like the best of all worlds. Save money on driving around town doing the soccer mom thing or short trips that are usually the worst on fuel economy but you can still tow a trailer/boat hundreds of km on the weekends etc. Seems like a no brainier.

Yes, this. I have a Bolt EV for around town, an older Nissan pickup for hauling bikes, dirtbikes, etc, and an SUV that is used for long family trips. I could get rid of the truck and the SUV in exchange for a mid sized crew cab PHEV. I’ve heard Toyota is working on a hybrid Tacoma, Chevy has a Colorado in the pipeline and Ford has a Ranger brewing, but I believe none of them are PHEVs, just hybrids. That’s a step in the right direction and will help with MPG, but I would love to run full electric around town. Even 50-60 electric miles would meet most of my daily needs.

Hybrid Tacoma is out this year I believe. However, the hybrid tundra really doesn’t pay off in terms of improved mileage. Looks like they shat the bed there. That makes me question whether or not the Tacoma will have similar issues.

It astounds me that the same company the built the Prius, arguably the most durable and proven hybrid car ever, is missing the mark on hybrid trucks.

Why is nobody coming out with a PHEV pick up?

This has been Stellantis’ approach. The Wrangler 4xe is doing pretty well. Not a pickup, but they’re bringing out the Gladiator 4xe for 2025. And I believe that vs. other Stellantis EV/PHEV vaporware because the Gladiator is pretty much the same as the Wrangler.

The RAM 1500 REV is, on paper, imminent to the market. Q4 2024. Looks interesting.

Edit: I meant Ramcharger, not REV, the pure EV. The Ramcharger has a big-ass 3.6L generator, so you can literally drive it at highway speed with a dead battery. But the 92kWh battery is large enough to go well over 100 miles on just battery. It’s intriguiging, but also seems bananas. A 3.6L engine and a 92kWh battery??! The Ramcharger is supposedly coming in cough 2025.

If we were a one-car family, the 4xe would make sense. But we decided to get the offroad-capable pure-ICE car, and then get a pure EV for local trips and longer trips where chargers will be available.

The best of all worlds can also be seen as the worst of all worlds. You get all the complexity and maintenance requirements of ICE, plus all the weight, size, and cost of pretty-big LIon batteries.

To me its the charging NW that has failed the EV market. So many towns are spending all kinds of money installing these slow chargers. Great idea except for the fact that no one wants slow charging which is the limiting factor to people purchasing an EV.

A proper NW and infrastructure for more fast charging locations is needed.

The best of all worlds can also be seen as the worst of all worlds. You get all the complexity and maintenance requirements of ICE, plus all the weight, size, and cost of pretty-big LIon batteries.

Good point. However, I know quite a few PHEV owners and they all rave about them. I guess the demands and potential problems with size and power are amplified by the needs of a truck, but it seems to be a pretty solid option in the small SUV category.

I agree the ram charger seems odd.

My wife got a Rav4 Prime about a year and a half ago. We both drive it for everything and my Nissan Frontier sits in the driveway. It averages about 45 miles per charge and it gets 50 mpg on a highway trip. If they’d come out with a Tacoma Prime, I’d jump on it.

I’d rather have a midsize of smaller EV pickup with a 6 ft bed, but it doesn’t look like anything like that is coming anywhere soon.

I’m very happy with the Rev, but I’d rather cut the gas hose entirely. I’ve been getting screwed over by the oil companies for most of my life and I’d like that to be over.

Bcitri…

The big money is in selling people what they want!

Your last sentence doesn’t jive with the rest of the message.

FIFY…

The big money is in telling people what they want, and then selling it to them.

Bcitri…

The big money is in selling people what they want!

Your last sentence doesn’t jive with the rest of the message.

FIFY…

The big money is in telling people what they want, and then selling it to them.

Yes.

Well said.

It’s best of all - when people start repeating the advertisements to each other.

Don’t get me wrong, though.

I would rather have more money, than less!

So, I understand where the car companies are coming from.