Can you tip a stewardess

I was on the train and I was able to tip the train steward. Or whatever you call them. I think that some tipping is excessive But some people don’t get tips at all. Who in service industries do you think is not tipped enough. The folks who clean your room at a hotel was another one I thought of

my wife always leaves a few dollars for room cleaners no matter where we are

https://youtu.be/M2_SjB016e4?si=6WzwK9D0NIckyGb6

^^^ that’s my first thought, too ^^^

Biased opinion, and not exactly what you’re asking, but having worked as a busboy and back waiter for a little while, I thought (and still think) bussers and dishwashers should get tipped, or at least get a cut of tips at the end of the night.

The waitstaff where I worked pooled tips and split them at the end of shift, but the grunts weren’t included.

I was irritated on my own behalf, but I really felt bad for the Ecuadorians in the back of the house. I was just a college kid making some extra money for a while. Those guys flayed themselves 12-14 hours a day scrubbing dishes and floors, hauling leaking bags of garbage, etc., trying to get enough to send some cash back home, and they didn’t get anything beyond minimum wage (if that - I suspect they weren’t here legally, and I suspect the employer took advantage of that fact).

When I worked in a restaurant, the highest earning servers always tipped the back of house well. I don’t think it was a coincidence that those servers always had their tables cleaned first by the bussers, their food and drinks were run out first, the kitchen staff was super quick to fix any mistakes for them etc.

To me that’s leadership 101. Take care of your people and they’ll take care of you.

The person who delivers our newspaper probably does not get tipped much, even though they serve our house every day, at early hours, and sometimes in nasty weather. OTOH, it is not a personalized service and we almost never see them. No idea how their compensation is set.

When I worked in a restaurant, the highest earning servers always tipped the back of house well. I don’t think it was a coincidence that those servers always had their tables cleaned first by the bussers, their food and drinks were run out first, the kitchen staff was super quick to fix any mistakes for them etc.

To me that’s leadership 101. Take care of your people and they’ll take care of you.

Yup. I once dated a woman who worked at some of the nicer restaurants in Boston, and that was her attitude as well.

In contrast, my experience was working at a Midwest country club that thought it was all fancy, but was (and still is) just a pretty standard polo-shirted douchebag reservoir that wanted to be cool but wasn’t really. They didn’t exactly get the cream of the restaurant business talent.

Best story I have from my time there was when I accidentally spilled coffee on Oscar G. Mayer Jr. (grandson of the original Oscar Mayer), who was decked out in immaculate tennis whites. I was sure I was going to get fired on the spot. The guy could not have been nicer about it - didn’t make a big deal at all, told me not to worry about it for a second, made a point to tell the manager not to chew me out.

Yup. I once dated a woman who worked at some of the nicer restaurants in Boston, and that was her attitude as well.

In contrast, my experience was working at a Midwest country club that thought it was all fancy, but was (and still is) just a pretty standard polo-shirted douchebag reservoir that wanted to be cool but wasn’t really. They didn’t exactly get the cream of the restaurant business talent.

Best story I have from my time there was when I accidentally spilled coffee on Oscar G. Mayer Jr. (grandson of the original Oscar Mayer), who was decked out in immaculate tennis whites. I was sure I was going to get fired on the spot. The guy could not have been nicer about it - didn’t make a big deal at all, told me not to worry about it for a second, made a point to tell the manager not to chew me out.

I bet after he left, he made a couple of phone calls and bought the country club just to fire the manager who hired you though, right? :wink:

I bet after he left, he made a couple of phone calls and bought the country club just to fire the manager who hired you though, right? :wink:

Probably. He looked like he knew his way around a bank account. He also looked like he had consumed a fair few hot dogs in his life - definitely looked the part of a sausage baron.

It’s not a practice that I’m aware of. Please don’t start it.

It’s also my understanding that flight attendants are not really in a service job. They may serve drinks and food during a flight, but their job is primarily safety related. In a way, they’re more like first responders, who can serve drinks and attend to passengers until something happens. I think the best practice is to be a good passenger, respectful, and helpful so that their job is a bit easier.

I had a paper route when I was 11-12 years old. 100ish houses. 10-15 gave tips between $10 and $20 around xmas. Early 90s. Considering i was getting around $50/week, it made a difference.

The person who delivers our newspaper probably does not get tipped much, even though they serve our house every day, at early hours, and sometimes in nasty weather. OTOH, it is not a personalized service and we almost never see them. No idea how their compensation is set.

How do you tip the internet?

Anyone tip the delivery man?

It’s not a practice that I’m aware of. Please don’t start it.

It’s also my understanding that flight attendants are not really in a service job. They may serve drinks and food during a flight, but their job is primarily safety related. In a way, they’re more like first responders, who can serve drinks and attend to passengers until something happens. I think the best practice is to be a good passenger, respectful, and helpful so that their job is a bit easier.

Agree. I generally bring magazines on a flight and give them to the crew when I finish.

Hotel cleaning staff - I always leave a tip in the room when I check out.

Tip daily. The same person may not clean it each night AND you want it cleaned “better” when you are still using the room.

Tip daily. The same person may not clean it each night AND you want it cleaned “better” when you are still using the room.

If I’m staying at a hotel I generally only have the room cleaned once every three days. I don’t need my sheets and towels changed everyday. Most hotel stays are generally three days or less so the staff never touches my room until I’m checked out. Longer stays and I will tip at the end but your point is taken about different staff.

High end hotels and resorts I will tip at the end but most often it’s the same staff the entire stay.

How do you tip the internet?

Anyone tip the delivery man?

I literally don’t know one person who still gets the print newspaper delivered.

I had a paper route when I was 11-12 years old. 100ish houses. 10-15 gave tips between $10 and $20 around xmas. Early 90s. Considering i was getting around $50/week, it made a difference.

I had a route in the early to mid 80s.

Probably 40-50 houses. Tipping was all over the place. Younger to middle aged folks tipped okay. Old folks didn’t tip at all.

I grew up in a northern suburb of Syracuse, NY. To say that I had to walk uphill both ways in the snow wasn’t really far from the truth. 😁

So your tables were always cleaned last by the bussers, your food and drinks were run out last and kitchen staff was super slow to fix all of your many mistakes?

If I’m staying at a hotel I generally only have the room cleaned once every three days. I don’t need my sheets and towels changed everyday. Most hotel stays are generally three days or less so the staff never touches my room until I’m checked out. Longer stays and I will tip at the end but your point is taken about different staff.

High end hotels and resorts I will tip at the end but most often it’s the same staff the entire stay.

What are your thoughts on tipping FBI agents?