Caitlin Clark Thread?

My search didn’t come up with anything. Perhaps one of those threads still yet to be pulled over?

Someone said before the season that the Fever would still struggle to win 10 games. They’re currently @500 with a 16-16 record and have won 6 of the 7 games since the OLY break.

She’s averaging 25 pts a game and three of those last 7 with A in double digits. Hell of a game against Reese and the Sky also. Seven games to go.

We haven’t watched since the Olympics but maybe I’ll tune back in. My interest definitely dropped off for viewing, not for following.

Now 17-16. I think I read the first time the team has been over .500 in five years.

As I recall in that other thread, she was catching a lot of flack for being too green and the WNBA was just too different for her to dominate in her first year. Same was being said about her olympic snub. So now that she has taken this season and appears to be one of the most dominant players in the league, likely the rookie of the year, and turning around a turd of a team and actually helping them win a record amount of games, what do the non believers think now???

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that my interest level in the less exciting WNBA basketball game hasn’t increased just because one of their less exciting teams is sitting at .500.

My interested in watching women’s basketball DID increase this past winter when visiting my nieces. Started following Clark and Iowa. Wifey and I started watching games. And then I continued watching her WNBA efforts just to see if it would take.

What I found was that watching her seemed more fun to follow the hype than generate actual interest in the sport. As soon as the Olympics started we completely forgot about it and just last night remembered “oh shit what’s the latest with Caitlin Clark?!”

So while I had hoped it would help generate interest in the sport, it did not for us beyond the excitement of watching her prove people wrong. But we gave it a good shot. More of a shot than many, and far less than many.

I finally got to watch most of a game the other night. She’s a very exciting player. Because she runs point, she has the ball a lot and probably half the plays she’s either a threat to shoot or get an assist.

I know this thread isn’t about Reese, but I’ve been following the “rivalry” between the two. Reese is a very good player, and an excellent rebounder, but there really is no comparison. The media is trying to manufacture some comparison that just isn’t there. I’d never even heard of a “double double,” until this year as it isn’t really that good of a stat. I mean, yes, Reese has the most. But…whatever.

Yea it’s tough. It then again I feel like there’s the impossible comparison of an offense phenom vs a defensive beast. Offense always gets the glory and is easier to market.

Reese is an excellent player in her own right. Setting rebound record in her rookie year is impressive. I don’t think she’s as impactful a player as Clark and I think if I was building a team and could only pick one then Reese would be easier to replace with another rebounder than replacing Clark’s offensive contributions.

That plus the drama surrounding Reese is distasteful. IMO

I wonder what Reece’s rebound stats look like if you subtract rebounds of her own missed shots. Probably just selection bias but from the clips I see online it appears half of her boards are cleaning up her own misses. Maybe more.

1 Like

I’ve read this too. But someone made a good point that even if that’s the case there’s nine other players on the court that could challenge for those rebounds. She still has to get it before someone else. I’m sure it makes it a little easier that it’s her own rebound. But how much easier? Beats me.

Total rebounds she’s #1. She’s got 1.1/game more than Wilson and 3.2/games more than Hamby.

If you look at only defensive rebounds, she’s ranked 3rd, behind both of them. She gets just a little fewer than Hamby, and and almost 2/game less than Wilson.

So, while she’s still a great rebounder, her horrible shooting does pad that stat quite a bit, enough so that she wouldn’t have these double-double records.

Fun Fact: Clark critics have said, “all she can do is shoot,” except that she’s #1 in assists. I recently saw, “her shooting is trash, all she can do is pass.” Of course that’s ridiculous.

But did you know that this rookie point guard who shoots and passes is also 14th in defensive rebounds, 19th in total rebounds?