Buoyancy shirt

Hello,

I’m considering to purchase buoyancy shirt aka Zone3 neoprene long sleeve shirt. It is 1.5 mm neoprene all over.

It is getting colder in the morning where I swim and I’m looking for something to wear for a transitional weather before going full suit.
My concern is: Will this shirt add extra buoyancy by lifting my upper body and as such sinking my legs? Do I need to compensate for it by purchasing a buoyancy shorts?

This is my first winter OWS and I have no experience with neoprene equipment.
Everybody I had asked around, including my coach, don’t have such an experience.

I don’t want to buy swim-run as it has a front zipper. I don’t want to buy shorty as the models I have accessible in my country, have a short or no sleeves models and I’m getting cold at shoulders and arms.

Thank you,
Leon

Hello,
I’m considering to purchase buoyancy shirt aka Zone3 neoprene long sleeve shirt. It is 1.5 mm neoprene all over.
It is getting colder in the morning where I swim and I’m looking for something to wear for a transitional weather before going full suit.
My concern is: Will this shirt add extra buoyancy by lifting my upper body and as such sinking my legs? Do I need to compensate for it by purchasing a buoyancy shorts?
This is my first winter OWS and I have no experience with neoprene equipment.
Everybody I had asked around, including my coach, don’t have such an experience.
I don’t want to buy swim-run as it has a front zipper. I don’t want to buy shorty as the models I have accessible in my country, have a short or no sleeves models and I’m getting cold at shoulders and arms.
Thank you,
Leon

Leon - I would think that the buoyancy shirt might well cause your legs to sink more. Desoto makes a two piece wetsuit and I think you can just buy the bottoms, but don’t quote me b/c I haven’t looked into it. Similarly, you could by a pair of Lava shorts. I think both the Desoto and Lava shorts go down almost to the knee, thus giving more warmth/buoyancy than the regular buoyancy shorts which end at about 10-12 inches (25-30 cm) above the knee. JOOC, what country are you in??? Cheers, Eric.

I wore just a Desoto T1 top (long sleeve 2mm) for a race once. I don’t remember it having too much impact on my body position, or being hard to swim in alone. I’d say get the top and try it. In case you need more leg floatation then just pick up some 3-5mm floaty shorts. Those should be a lot easier to find locally.

De Soto is out of my budget and they are not available in Israel. We have: Zone3, Blue70, Sailfish, Cressy, Orca.

I’ve already purchased Zone3 long sleeve top, which I really like. The sea is not suitable for swimming those days, have to wait to try it for “real”.

I guess, I will have to purchase the buoyancy shorts/ pants if I feel that my legs sinking too much.

I would rather purchase a buoyancy pants, as you have suggested, thus creating full suit, which will also serve me for the colder temperatures. But on the other hand it is too warm for it right now.

In a few days, I will go swimming and will go from there.

Thank you

P.S: Being on the budget is not an easy task :slight_smile:

De Soto is out of my budget and they are not available in Israel. We have: Zone3, Blue70, Sailfish, Cressy, Orca.

I’ve already purchased Zone3 long sleeve top, which I really like. The sea is not suitable for swimming those days, have to wait to try it for “real”.

I guess, I will have to purchase the buoyancy shorts/ pants if I feel that my legs sinking too much.

I would rather purchase a buoyancy pants, as you have suggested, thus creating full suit, which will also serve me for the colder temperatures. But on the other hand it is too warm for it right now.

In a few days, I will go swimming and will go from there.

Thank you

P.S: Being on the budget is not an easy task :slight_smile:

Leon - You’re welcome and good luck with your swimming. :slight_smile:

Replay from Zone3:
“The Neoprene Long Sleeve Top has minimal buoyancy as this product is more about warmth then buoyancy. So this should not cause your legs to sink and you will not need buoyancy shorts to compensate.”