Boarding Passengers with window seats first... good grief

First the olives in my salad, and now this:

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/united-air-rolling-plan-lets-125659787.html

In my experience, they can’t even get people to line up properly by zones, there’s no way they’re going to effectively pull this off. And to save 2 minutes?

https://ca.yahoo.com/…-lets-125659787.html

In my experience, they can’t even get people to line up properly by zones, there’s no way they’re going to effectively pull this off. And to save 2 minutes?

Pulling it off isn’t difficult. Your boarding pass group will be based on window, middle, or aisle.

It sucks for people who like to sit in the aisle, because all the overhead space will be taken up before you get to board.

Pulling it off isn’t difficult. Your boarding pass group will be based on window, middle, or aisle.

It sucks for people who like to sit in the aisle, because all the overhead space will be taken up before you get to board.

It will only start with Zone 4; I agree with you about the overhead space. People travelling together can board together, and it only starts with Zone 4. I can’t see an advantage. I’m actually glad I don’t fly for work much anymore, the past few times it hasn’t been fun…

It will only start with Zone 4; I agree with you about the overhead space. People travelling together can board together, and it only starts with Zone 4. I can’t see an advantage. I’m actually glad I don’t fly for work much anymore, the past few times it hasn’t been fun…

Now that I’m not on active duty anymore, I’m not looking forward to it. I used to have the benefit of early boarding, and now I’ll be in with gen-pop. I also prefer an aisle seat, so if I flight United, I’ll be double screwed.

In my experience, they can’t even get people to line up properly by zones

I’m a Southwest bro, and we do this well. Not even just lining up in the proper intervals, but everyone very politely comparing boarding passes to get perfect numerical ordering.

But then again Southwest is all-in on zone-type stuff, with the special “cattle chute” infrastructure.

It sucks for people who like to sit in the aisle,

aisle is the best seat. this is the tradeoff.

I could well be wrong, but I assume that the design of overhead compartments is based on each passenger having acceptably sized luggage in acceptable quantities. Which makes me think airlines just need to start cracking down on people who think they’re special.

They either have the choice of checking it, or going to the back of the line and getting the compartment scraps.

Well this will piss off the Apple crowd. Do you have to open your laptop and show it runs Windows? Seems like that would slow things down not speed it up.

Yup. Overhead space, within a given plane, is a zero sum game. Can’t favor some without disfavoring others. If boarding windows first causes things to happen more quickly — we’ll see about that — then it’s a good move. People are free to switch from aisle to window if they have a strong preference for access to the overhead. As with so many other aspects of air travel, you gotta decide what’s important to you and select accordingly.

I could well be wrong, but I assume that the design of overhead compartments is based on each passenger having acceptably sized luggage in acceptable quantities. Which makes me think airlines just need to start cracking down on people who think they’re special.

They either have the choice of checking it, or going to the back of the line and getting the compartment scraps.

Planes do not have sufficient overhead space for everyone to bring rollers. Even if every passenger brought only exactly what they’re allowed, there would be insufficient overhead space.

Yup. Overhead space, within a given plane, is a zero sum game. Can’t favor some without disfavoring others. If boarding windows first causes things to happen more quickly — we’ll see about that — then it’s a good move. People are free to switch from aisle to window if they have a strong preference for access to the overhead. As with so many other aspects of air travel, you gotta decide what’s important to you and select accordingly.

Of course, if the only people that get to put their bags in the over head are people who sit in the window and aisle, then they’ll have to go over aisle seaters to get to those bags, making the aisle even worse.

I don’t sit on the aisle so I can access the overhead. I sit there because I can get up to stretch my legs or go to the toilet without disturbing anyone else.

In my experience, they can’t even get people to line up properly by zones

I’m a Southwest bro, and we do this well. **Not even just lining up in the proper intervals, but everyone very politely comparing boarding passes to get perfect numerical ordering. **

But then again Southwest is all-in on zone-type stuff, with the special “cattle chute” infrastructure.

I’m a Southwest womens and yes, you are correct.

Of course, if the only people that get to put their bags in the over head are people who sit in the window and aisle, then they’ll have to go over aisle seaters to get to those bags, making the aisle even worse.

I don’t sit on the aisle so I can access the overhead. I sit there because I can get up to stretch my legs or go to the toilet without disturbing anyone else.

When I said “access” I just meant being able to put your stuff up there before the flight vs having to check it. That seems to be the major driver of the contentiousness over boarding sequence. People don’t want to check a bag — either for reasons of delay or risk of it not arriving.

As for access during the flight then you’re right: the aisle folks can access the overheads with less disruption. My experience is that people who really need to access their stuff during the flight usually put it under the seat, but there are exceptions.

My bias is that I am a window person. I rarely need to use the loo on a domestic flight. I yield the arm rest to the middle person. If I have two carry on bags, I would never put something I’ll need during the flight (music, work, food) in the overhead. That goes under the seat. (I never want the bulkhead, for the same reason). And, in my generosity, in the event of a crash, I’ll agree you aisle folks get to go before me. :wink:

Southwest has the best boarding procedure. It most perfectly aligns max efficiency with markets and human nature. I hate it, but I’ve got to give it its props.

I’ve rarely seen people having to check at the gate (granted I don’t fly much, or maybe just on better equipped planes). I have seen staff take late boarders’ bags and find room elsewhere.

From a quick search it sounds like airlines are retrofitting planes so that everyone has room. So it appears the intent was always that there was enough space.

When I said “access” I just meant being able to put your stuff up there before the flight vs having to check it. That seems to be the major driver of the contentiousness over boarding sequence. People don’t want to check a bag — either for reasons of delay or risk of it not arriving.

As for access during the flight then you’re right: the aisle folks can access the overheads with less disruption. My experience is that people who really need to access their stuff during the flight usually put it under the seat, but there are exceptions.

My bias is that I am a window person. I rarely need to use the loo on a domestic flight. I yield the arm rest to the middle person. If I have two carry on bags, I would never put something I’ll need during the flight (music, work, food) in the overhead. That goes under the seat. (I never want the bulkhead, for the same reason). And, in my generosity, in the event of a crash, I’ll agree you aisle folks get to go before me. :wink:

This is the right way to approach flying.
Also, if you like the aisle it tells me you probably don’t have wide shoulders. I get really sick of people/flight attendants/the food cart slamming into my shoulder on the regular.

People don’t want to check a bag — either for reasons of delay or risk of it not arriving.

Or because airlines charge you to check bags.

If I’m traveling for a weekend or a couple day trip for work, and I only need what fits in a roller, I don’t want to have to pay to check it. That would be a dumb way to waste my money.

The past few years I’ve been flying a fair amount cross country or internationally, and I definitely want to be able to get up and move around or go to the toilet. I have some wonky knees that get somewhat painful if I’m sitting in those seats for 3 or 4 hours or more without getting up. Shorter domestic flights, it’s not a big deal.

I have come to respect that planes are really just really fast buses

Lower your expectations of comfort and accessibility, accordingly

How long before they are charging more for window seats.

People don’t want to check a bag — either for reasons of delay or risk of it not arriving.

Or because airlines charge you to check bags.

If I’m traveling for a weekend or a couple day trip for work, and I only need what fits in a roller, I don’t want to have to pay to check it. That would be a dumb way to waste my money.

The past few years I’ve been flying a fair amount cross country or internationally, and I definitely want to be able to get up and move around or go to the toilet. I have some wonky knees that get somewhat painful if I’m sitting in those seats for 3 or 4 hours or more without getting up. Shorter domestic flights, it’s not a big deal.

Does United charge in the situation where there is no space in the overhead and you need to leave your bag in the jetway right outside the plane door? I thought the standard announcement from the FAs was that they’ll check it for free to your final destination. I have not been in that situation and try to tune out the announcements exhorting people to take their seats, but thought that was how they handle the baggage in terms of a fee. There are also all sorts of folks — frequent flyers, premium cabin passengers, certain credit cardholders — who avoid lots of baggage fees on United.