Bike Commute Tips

I’m in a situation where i work 20 miles away from where I live and it’s right on a bike path (as well as a public transit line).

It takes me ~40 minutes to drive, ~50 via public transit and ~1:10 to bike.

I have previously taken public transit in the morning with my bike and bike clothes and then changed at work, left a bag with my laptop and work clothes and biked home. This then forces me to go into the office the next day.

I was thinking of getting a backpack better suited to cycling with and then biking in the morning, rinsing off at the gym shower there, and then cycling back home as well. In this case I’d just have a pair of shoes I permanently leave at work.

Is there anyway to reuse the same bins and Jersey or is that a lost cause and I’ll just need to bring 2 sets if I wanna go both ways? And any recs on bags that would be good to bike with for this duration?

Some may disagree but I haven’t had issues with reusing bibs for my commute, although it is only half the length of yours (10 miles). For a commute of that length, I’d really recommend a rack and panniers over a backpack, the ortlieb quick rack is pretty nifty. If you do need a backpack, just pick something with both a chest and stomach strap and good ventilation on the back.

I commuted by bike for years. I found that getting a rear rack for my bike, and some good panniers, was a huge upgrade over a backpack. One, there was more space. Two, I sweat a lot, so wearing a backpack gets gross pretty quickly.

The panniers would hold my work clothes, computer, and lunch no problem. I did tend to have a pair of work shoes that I just left at work and wore every day. I would use the same bibs, jersey, and socks in the afternoon as I did in the morning, but you could bring a second set if you wanted.

Some additional details but I’d be riding my road bike (can store in office). I’m assuming no issues with this but not sure what else I’d need to make it pannier compatible.

I also live in the DC area where evening in the morning it’s quite humid so will likely get sweaty even if I take it relatively chill in the morning

That’s what makes the quick rack so cool. It has two attachments points you put on your chainstays that aren’t very obvious, and the rack attaches to those and your seatpost, can put it on or take it off in 10 seconds. I’ve got it on my gravel bike, it’ll go on any bike.

I have a ten mile commute and use the same bibs both ways. I hang them up to dry at the office as summer mornings here in NYC can get swampy. I don’t need to bring more than keys, phone and flat kit so I usually just use a sling bag on my back.

I ride to work four days a week. It is only 8k from home but I generally ride two to three hours before work (depending on my shift) or two to three hours at night after (or ride to the gym on the way home). Shower at work and take a spare pair of bike pants most of the time. That is a Cannondale CAAD8 and I have attached those racks with clamps from the hardwear store.

IMG_0427 (3).JPG

I did tend to have a pair of work shoes that I just left at work and wore every day.

I can’t explain to you enough just how mind blowing it was for me when I figured out this “hack” for my commuting. Absolutely life changing.

Lol, it took me a few days of carrying the same shoes back and forth before I realized, um, why don’t I just let these live here?

I did tend to have a pair of work shoes that I just left at work and wore every day.

I can’t explain to you enough just how mind blowing it was for me when I figured out this “hack” for my commuting. Absolutely life changing.

Not just shoes - but also belt, snacks, coffee pods, a thermos, a knife/fork + bowl/plate, an extra coat, baby wipes, and anything else that you’d have typically at the office but might bring in day to day from the car.

…a few days?

Now you’re just bragging about how smart you are.

Almost a year for me. :frowning:

Merino Jersey and socks. Huge difference in smell, reusability, etc. Also, if your taint is durable enough, many tri shorts are made to dry pretty quickly. You could probably even rinse and wring them and have them be mostly dry by the ride home.

I routinely bike to work back and forth in the same day. I started at my previous job where it took the same amount of time, give or take five minutes, whether I commuted by car or by bicycle (about 15 miles). So I thought might as well ride when I could. At my current job it takes about twenty minutes more to ride my bike than drive and is about 18 miles each way.

I will ride to work in the morning, take a shower. I will hang up my bibs and jersey on a hanger. I will then reuse the same kit that I rode to work in for the ride home. I do keep 2 full spare kits (bibs, jersey ,and socks) in my desk at work. I keep four to five sets of work clothes in my desk too. This consists of shirts, pants, socks, underwear, and shoes and boots. I have toiletries and chamois cream as well. I also keep a spare floor pump, CO2s, tubes, lube, lights and battery chargers, and shop towels for maintenance if needed.

I never really find it an issue reusing my kit from the morning again in the afternoon. I do usually ride directly home (~ 1 hour) and immediately get out of my kit and shower. I think the chamois cream and minimizing time in the kit is important though. Knock on wood that I haven’t had any issues with saddle sores or skin issues from doing this. I will typically have one day each week that I will use to bring and take clothes, food containers, etc. back and forth from work via commuting by car. I just find that easier than carrying a backpack or panniers on my bike. That way if I do want to ride longer in the afternoon on the way home I don’t have a bunch of crap to tote around.

9-10 mile commute each way. I ride 2-3 days a week into the office (sometimes by ebike).

I tend to use mountain bike liners and shorts opposed to my road cycling bibs. They tend to dry faster and have less padding. I don’t need a lot of padding for a 35-75 min ride (I often extend the ride home). Also, using a run tech shirt works good enough. I’m not worried about drag even if I’m trying to get a workout in on my way home.

Leave your shoes at work. I also leave a packtowel, deodorant, and hair product.

I finally switched from a backpack to a rear rack and it’s wayy better. I use the tailfin rack because I can use it on multiple bikes pretty quickly, but it’s not cheap. If you plan on doing some touring, it’s worth the money; but just for commuting, I’d find something cheaper.