Best swimming headphones?

I currently use a Neptune duo but there is a constant problem with loading new songs/podcasts up. Wasnt sure if anyone else had other recommendations.

Indoor pool swimming and will have access to phone (if headphones can play bluetooth)

Thanks!

I haven’t tried them, but someone on here previously recommended these:
SONY-Walkman-headphone-integrated-NW-WS413. I’m considering purchasing.

Swimming on my own 100% of the time, I currently use an iPod shuffle and headphones from Underwater Audio. They have various headphone options including wireless, I believe. The shuffles will get more expensive as time goes on due to the fact Apple no longer manufactures them. The earbuds come with numerous choices for in-ear fittings.

You use what I use with the iPod Shuffle. Bluetooth does not work underwater, so the best you can hope for is a short tether to your music source.

https://www.underwateraudio.com/hydroactive-waterproof-earphones-for-swimming/?gclid=CjwKCAiA_c7UBRAjEiwApCZi8TT4LXuiix8QHDg__zK90Y6QkBZSWS-nLLrvLd4Sr7s8vjW0yz21oBoCC58QAvD_BwE This is what I’m looking at buying next, as at least their ad says these headphones provide a water-tight fit and work well in small ears. We’ll see about that…

I got my waterproof iPod Shuffle bundle at underwateraudio. Have it for 2 years now.

My wife got me an iPod Shuffle from Audioflood. She got me the bundle that came with a swim cap, case, multiple ear bud fittings. For the extra 15 bucks, I think it was worth it.

http://www.audioflood.com/

I have had no issues with mine and I have had it for just over a year now. Thinking about buying a second one as a back up as Apple stopped producing the Shuffle.

Jason

I haven’t tried them, but someone on here previously recommended these:
SONY-Walkman-headphone-integrated-NW-WS413. I’m considering purchasing.

I have used these but they do not seal in the ear and is a frustrating feeling of having water always coming in and out of your ear…

the best underwater headphone solution is

H20Audio

buy a ipod shuffle gen 4 or 5… casing comes with a few different earphone buds and they seal nice. also nice to put one ear phone in and keep on tucked into the cap so coach doesnt see your rockin out!

I got my waterproof iPod Shuffle bundle at underwateraudio. Have it for 2 years now.

^^^^ this, have had one for about 4 years. Tried cases before that and they fail pretty quickly IME.

Any updates to this?

I am prospecting getting some… multi-task some podcasts etc… fully in the Garmin ecosystem etc.

But also want something to use for runs? Bone conduction? Any good at both?

Shokz Swim are great. You just need MP3s - thats all

2 Likes

Thanks. Checked out the Shockz Swim Pro’s.
I got many mp3’s. Drag and drop seems great.
Playlist numbering less so… but I’d just be adding and deleting anyway.
Do they connect to Garmin watch with Bluetooth?
You can turn the bluetooth off?

The Swim are ONLY MP3 - no bluetooth. Does not connect to anything. Just press play and swim with Phil Anselmo… thats what I do … RE… SPECT … WALK …

1 Like

The OpenSwim Pro have both, you toggle between Bluetooth and MP3 mode by pressing a button. I can’t speak to how well they work with podcasts or playlists, I just put a bunch of MP3s in them and set it to shuffle while I’m swimming, and they work pretty well for that.

1 Like

These have worked great for me. Same design as the Afershockz Open Ear but $70. Bluetooth as well as 32gb local mode for swimming. If you check Amazon there will be several brands at the same price point and very similar. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re all made at the same Chinese factory that makes Afershockz…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CKHGTCMZ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0CKHGTCMZ&pd_rd_w=6c1QR&content-id=amzn1.sym.f2f1cf8f-cab4-44dc-82ba-0ca811fb90cc&pf_rd_p=f2f1cf8f-cab4-44dc-82ba-0ca811fb90cc&pf_rd_r=QGKV9VDA19QWSAEZDRBJ&pd_rd_wg=1nXVD&pd_rd_r=cd18f189-7497-454f-ad12-5172cc0b3722&s=electronics&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWxfdGhlbWF0aWM

BTW, I’ve also tried a few other swimming mp3 players over the years but nothing has worked as well as the ones I linked above.
For example, I used the H2O Audio Sonar IPX8 - Bluetooth Bone Conduction ones but they were more $$, finicky to attach to the goggles, and broke after a few months.
Also, I’ve tried a couple of the ones where you put in earbuds shaped like christmas trees. They ended up being uncomfortable, the earbuds died quickly, and water would get in.

1 Like

I have used a waterproof iPod shuffle for about 10 years now (got a 2nd one after the first died.) my 2nd one just died 2 weeks ago and I am looking at my options. I am all in on Spotify as my music source now. I have a Garmin 965. I am frustrated by the poor options that support Spotify with swimming these days. One idea I had was, since ai have Form swim goggles that I can use to track my swim, could I put my Garmin 965 on my swim cap with a pair of earbuds (or bone conducting ‘phones) that have some Bluetooth interface by the back of my neck? Would Bluetooth work there? I already have a small portable waterproof offline Spotify player (the 965) wouldn’t it be great if I could use it for lap swimming?

I really doubt that Bluetooth would work even with it very close. If you attach the Garmin to your goggle strap that may be close enough to work though…

Yes that’s what I had in mind - put the 965 on my goggles strap (ideally there would be some compact mount the 965 would plug into and I would just remove the 965’s wrist straps) at the back of my head.

Shockz

I’ve been a Shokz fan for a few years now. The MP3 requirement is a downer but it’s better than silence. There are some ways to get MP3s but having to plug it in and transfer via USB is just cumbersome now. Their new model allows you to use the same pair on a run or bike via Bluetooth but I haven’t felt a reason to upgrade for that feature.

If you’re ok with earbuds, Underwater Audio’s Delphin player is the new version of the iPod Shuffle but with access to Spotify. I haven’t tried their new bone conduction model, but I didn’t care for the earbuds so I made the switch to Shokz.

H2Oaudio has an interesting model with Playlist+ that allows you to transfer music to the device but it records in real time and compared to the Delphin that just downloaded offline playlists, I passed.

Some swear by Zygo’s RF transponder system that pairs with your phone but the cost and having to bring/charge three devices (phone/headphones/transmitter) was a non starter for me but maybe I’ll try it if the Shokz ever die :grinning:.