Best Swim Paddle Recommendations

I have had the Speedo swim paddles with latex bands for a while, and one of the latex straps just broke again. They have always been a little uncomfortable, so I am thinking of ditching them for something else.

What are the current favorite swim paddles on the market?

I have been pleased with my Roka. I don’t think they make them anymore, but they appear to have them here: https://www.ironmanstore.com/ironman-roka-pro-swim-paddles-blue-size-1-57954864

Finis paddle

No strap to break

^^^^ Finis Agility paddle. The best and the one I see most high end HS teams use. That and their center mount snorkel and you’ve got all you need.

Strokemakers are the only way. Don’t use the back strap though, it encourages shorting your stroke. Finger strap only.
https://strokemakers.com/cdn/shop/products/81zmz6T0iBS._AC_SL1500_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1711046112

Finis paddle

No strap to break
^^^^ Finis Agility paddle. The best and the one I see most high end HS teams use. That and their center mount snorkel and you’ve got all you need.Thanks. My next question was going to be which one: Manta, Agility, Freestyler, or Iso?

Finis paddle

No strap to break
^^^^ Finis Agility paddle. The best and the one I see most high end HS teams use. That and their center mount snorkel and you’ve got all you need.Thanks. My next question was going to be which one: Manta, Agility, Freestyler, or Iso?

Agility. Very effective as only the thumb holds it on and if your entry into the water is bad it will slide off. If you go with one, that’s the one.

+3 for Finis Agility paddles

+3 for Finis Agility paddles

+4

Strokemakers are the only way. Don’t use the back strap though, it encourages shorting your stroke. Finger strap only.
https://strokemakers.com/cdn/shop/products/81zmz6T0iBS._AC_SL1500_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1711046112

Ya, I love my Strokemakers in size 2 (yellow). They encourage me to pull harder than normal. I’ve seen the red ones but did not even know the purple and green ones existed. I may just have to buy a pair of the size 5 just to feel what they are like. Obv I would have to use them very sparingly so that they don’t injure my shoulders. :slight_smile:

https://strokemakers.com/cdn/shop/products/81zmz6T0iBS._AC_SL1500_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1711046112They get huge marks for the sizing and explanations. That is brilliant. Makes it so much easier to sort out.

When I was a real swimmer, I’d pull strokes with Red ones (size 3), and Free with Blue (size 4). I have never actually seen a pair of size 5’s (green) in the wild. I also own a pair of size 0’s or 0.5’s that we used as “speed paddles” to simulate race pace with a slightly elevated catch volume and tempo. Now that I swim for fun, yellows are right in the wheelhouse of what I can move.

Most masters/triathletes try to move too much paddle and muscle through. Strong triathlete males should probably not be on much bigger than yellows. Pro guys would probably be fine on reds. I moved blues in college/as a pro swimmer, but now at 41 and swimming casually yellows are all my shoulders can handle.

When I was a real swimmer, I’d pull strokes with Red ones (size 3), and Free with Blue (size 4). I have never actually seen a pair of size 5’s (green) in the wild. I also own a pair of size 0’s or 0.5’s that we used as “speed paddles” to simulate race pace with a slightly elevated catch volume and tempo. Now that I swim for fun, yellows are right in the wheelhouse of what I can move.

Wow, those size 5s must be really rare if you’ve never seen a pair “in the wild”. :slight_smile:

I would recommend stroke maker and without the wrist strap. If you don’t come from a swim background, keep the size to 1 or less.

I wouldn’t recommend the Finis paddles. Since they don’t have a strap, many athletes tend to tighten up their hand, forearm and all the way up to their should on the recovery to keep them on. It isn’t a neuromuscular pattern you want to develop.

I hop this helps and if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Tim

^^^^ Finis Agility paddle. The best and the one I see most high end HS teams use. That and their center mount snorkel and you’ve got all you need.

I think the Finis Iso paddles are better than the Agility paddles. https://www.finisswim.com/Iso-Paddles

I’d second Strokemakers. Most triathletes should probably size down a size from what they think they should get. ie if you think you need a 2 you probably need a 1. If you think you need a 1 you should also have a 0.5 in your swim bag.

I think the Finis Iso paddles are better than the Agility paddles. https://www.finisswim.com/Iso-Paddles

I’d second Strokemakers. Most triathletes should probably size down a size from what they think they should get. ie if you think you need a 2 you probably need a 1. If you think you need a 1 you should also have a 0.5 in your swim bag.

I’ve found from my use that the Iso are more for stroke correction, and I found they only worked well when I drifted out with one arm and wanted to correct that. Strokemasters are nice but only for strength and many tend to go too high on which color and overuse can happen easily. For me, I find the Agility work far better as I can relax even more with my hand and they ensure correct entry into the water out front. The sculpting also fit a hand far better so there is less tightening than the basic flat paddles. Just my experiences over 60 years of swimming.

This is great. Ordering paddles now…

Finis paddle

No strap to break

Need a 👍 button !

I use the Agility paddle to help keep me honest with a high elbow and pushing the water backwards (so I go forwards !) And the Freestyler for the catch and smooth hand exit at the back. There’s a single bungee on the Freestyler per paddle, but I’m still on the originals after 10 years.

I would recommend stroke maker and without the wrist strap. If you don’t come from a swim background, keep the size to 1 or less.

I wouldn’t recommend the Finis paddles. Since they don’t have a strap, many athletes tend to tighten up their hand, forearm and all the way up to their should on the recovery to keep them on. It isn’t a neuromuscular pattern you want to develop.

I hop this helps and if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Tim

Interesting.

When I 1st started in tri, my hand/ arm/ shoulder on my left was exactly as you say. But a different reason - I had my fingers tightly squeezed against each other to prevent my wedding ring coming off in the arm swing forward / catch phase, which I’d ingrained over maybe 10 years. It took quite a while to learn to relax those muscles (along with leaving the ring at home !)

The other bad habit people have with the Agility, if they know no better, is wrapping their fingers around it’s edges to hold it on - rather than having it thumb only.