Best olympic performance you watched

Been watching since 92 in Barcelona. Lots of moments stick out, but the one that as time goes in becomes more incredible is Jason Lezak’s last 50m in the mens 4x100 free relay in Beijing, helping Phelps get his 8 gold medals. Same year watching Phelps touch the wall in the 100 fly over Cavic was almost just impressive.

What do you have?

2010, Crosby scoring the game winner in Canada vs US hockey, on home ice.

I was in Vancouver for that one. I’ve never seen an entire city party that hard before.

Seriously?

Gwen Jorgensen, triathlon, 2016 Rio Olympics.

Soooooo hard! I’m an Olympics junkie.

Daley Thompson winning gold in the decathlon in 1984

Steve Redgrave winning gold in 5 consecutive Olympics.

Phelps in Beijing

Usain Bolt in Beijing, particularly the 200 where he REALLY went for it after criticism of coasting to his 100m win.

Side note: I’m a British expat living here in the US and one of my US friends just doesn’t get the Olympics. His point is that for the most part these athletes are “every men” and are not professionals so how do we know they’re the best. We have many great debates. Lol

Seb Coe 1,500 1980
Miruts Yifter 10,000 1980
Ben Johnson 100 1988
Jolanda Neff MTB 2021

Just giving it a quick thought I’d say Dave Wottle coming out if nowhere to win the 800m in 72 and Kerri Strug’s vault on broken ankle to help win the team gold.

Dream Team, the whole Olympics.

Joan Benoit, 1984 Marathon

The Phelps relay that you mentioned is probably the one I’m thinking of.

Been watching since 92 in Barcelona. Lots of moments stick out, but the one that as time goes in becomes more incredible is Jason Lezak’s last 50m in the mens 4x100 free relay in Beijing, helping Phelps get his 8 gold medals. Same year watching Phelps touch the wall in the 100 fly over Cavic was almost just impressive.

What do you have?

https://youtu.be/_0VrDnlPhTI?si=v6MxU7kolAalhvwX

Seriously?

Gwen Jorgensen, triathlon, 2016 Rio Olympics.

Yes! Can’t believe I forgot that. I don’t pay attention to that Tri stuff but had to tune in for that. Also Mara Abbott in the road race, even though she got 4th it was an awesome attack.

Most dominant? 1992 Basketball.

Biggest impact on my life? Carl Lewis 1984. I might not have been a runner if I wasn’t a 6 year old watching the 84 Olympics.

Best?
Wiggins winning the 12 TT easily?
Danny Boyle’s 2012 Opening ceremony?

Teofilo Stevenson in 72 and 76.

Nadia.

Dan Jansen finally winning his speed skating Gold in ‘94

I was in the LA Coliseum to witness Joan Benoit win the first women’s Olympic Marathon in 1984. That was one of the greatest sporting events I have ever seen in person.
I worked in the campus cafeteria at UCLA with Evelyn Ashford and taught her how to do her job so I always claimed that I trained her. She was a very nice person so watching any of her Olympic achievements was a big thrill for me.
The single greatest Olympic performance I have ever seen was replays of Bob Beamon long jumping 29’ 2.25 inches (8.9 meters) in Mexico City in 1968. He jumped beyond the measuring device and they had to measure it by hand.
I can watch the film of Abebe Bikila win the 1960 Rome Olympics Marathon barefoot and then doing calisthenics at the finish line over and over. He also won in 1964 (with shoes on).

Miracle on Ice. I was 13. I still remember sitting in our family room and watching it.

I also remember watching Keri Strug on RV while in Atlanta. I got to see the mtb race, road race, and a baseball game in person.
We were headed for Atlanta the day of the bombing.

Steven Bradbury who won gold for Australia in the speed skating as all of the skaters in front of him crashed and fell over.
Kathy Freeman when she won the 400m at the Sydney Olympics. The entire nation was behind her.
Kieran Perkins winning the 1500m at Barcelona. We were in Barcelona for the games but could not get tickets to the swimming. The pool was open air. There was a gondola cable car ride that gave you a view of the pool as you went by. We timed our ride and were able to see about a minute of the 1500m.

1968 track mens 200 meter finals Tommie Smith, Peter Norman and Juan Carlos.

The forgotten man being Peter Norman

and this was the runner up that year Bob Beamon’s 29’- 2 and one half long jump.

It was an eventful summer.

Not Olympics, but do US Trials count? Hopefully will be an Olympic memory in 4 years.

A runner I coached his senior year (transfered across town) this year was 5th at the Trials in Steeplechase. My wife and I (she assisted coaching me that season) were losing our minds. Especially when the damn thing cut to commercial and then some field athletes after the break. Pretty sure my neighbors heard me. Lots of jumping up.and down.

Soooooo hard! I’m an Olympics junkie.

Daley Thompson winning gold in the decathlon in 1984

Steve Redgrave winning gold in 5 consecutive Olympics.

Phelps in Beijing

Usain Bolt in Beijing, particularly the 200 where he REALLY went for it after criticism of coasting to his 100m win.

Side note: I’m a British expat living here in the US and one of my US friends just doesn’t get the Olympics. His point is that for the most part these athletes are “every men” and are not professionals so how do we know they’re the best. We have many great debates. Lol

My wife was in the stands for that 200, directly across from the finish line, still jealous.

David Rudisha’s 800m in London was special, as was Gebreselassie vs Tergat in the 10k from Sydney. Probably my favorite though, from the same games, was Cathy Freeman’s 400m. Just one of those sporting moments when you realize things are fated but still can’t quite believe they’re going to happen.

Honorable British mentions go to Torvill and Dean, Mo Farrah in London and that magic day when we scored 4 or 5 golds in T&F, and Jonathan Edwards.

What do you have?

https://youtu.be/_0VrDnlPhTI?si=v6MxU7kolAalhvwX

You can always tell an old time hard core skier by their use of Klammer as a verb when they regale you about some awesome run that they survived.
In fairness however, Killy’s complete dominance in Grenoble was/is matchless.

Kerri Strug