Best jobs for non-college grads?

I’m just curious what you guys come up with. Two people I know recently took some unexpected turns.

My brother quit teaching after 20 years to get his CDL (18 wheeler license). After $5,000, a couple months of training, and a year of experience, he’s making more than he did as a teacher with a masters degree.

My friend’s son just dropped out of college to become a tug boat driver. A what?! A tug boat driver. Apparently they can make upwards of $100,000 - $150,000 a year (mid career to end of career).

I know there’s not a lot of folks in the trades on this forum, but I’m curious what else is out there.

Almost all the repair and service industries make good money but are a grind. electrician, HVAC, plumber, mechanic, autobody (very much a grind)

But the trick is you still can’t be an idiot and extra schooling is required.

social influencer - the more idiotic the better.

And in the medical, diet, physical fitness sphere make sure you take a fear based approach, take a contrarian position, tell people they have been lied too, and then confidently tell people they should do x,y, and z without any good evidence to back up your claims.

And in the medical, diet, physical fitness sphere make sure you take a fear based approach, take a contrarian position, tell people they have been lied too, and then confidently tell people they should do x,y, and z without any good evidence to back up your claims.

That kind of strategy might get you to the presidency.

Military. Can still be an idiot, within reason. Schooling is provided. For many it is a path out of poverty into middle class. Hence recruiting being an issue. See other threads regarding recruiting challenges - fitness standards, etc.

If I had it to do over I would probably do an apprenticeship in a trade and start my own business rather than a career in soul sucking medicine. It is damn near impossible to find good and reliable tradesmen around here. If you’re skilled, motivated, honest and smart you could make a mint.

Things to do with heavy equipment.

I have a pt who works for an equipment rental company. He gets sent hundreds of miles in every direction to do logistics, demo equipment, some maintainence etc.

The railroad. Requires some measure of mechanical/electrical aptitude, and companies will provide training. You have to be willing to travel or live in some pretty remote places and don’t mind working in all kinds of weather. The pay is competitive, if not more so depending where you are, you pay into railraod retirement instead of social security. It’s an industry that isn’t going away, likely ever.

When I was getting ready to retire from the Marine Corps I looked into the railroad, even had two offers (BNSF and CSX). I wasn’t willing to travel. If I were a young man, single, I’d be all over that career.

Mortician

If I had it to do over I would probably do an apprenticeship in a trade and start my own business rather than a career in soul sucking medicine. It is damn near impossible to find good and reliable tradesmen around here. If you’re skilled, motivated, honest and smart you could make a mint.

I nearly did this before I got the job I have now. I was already busy without promoting myself. But a college degree qualified me for my current job which consists of sitting around waiting for things to break and solving problems. I make less money but it is much easier.

I’m just curious what you guys come up with. Two people I know recently took some unexpected turns.

My brother quit teaching after 20 years to get his CDL (18 wheeler license). After $5,000, a couple months of training, and a year of experience, he’s making more than he did as a teacher with a masters degree.

My friend’s son just dropped out of college to become a tug boat driver. A what?! A tug boat driver. Apparently they can make upwards of $100,000 - $150,000 a year (mid career to end of career).

I know there’s not a lot of folks in the trades on this forum, but I’m curious what else is out there.

I had a coworker quit his job as an engineer and get his CDL and now works as a truck driver. Good money and mostly recession proof. I think it takes a certain personality to do that long term. My dad was a truck driver, but I don’t think I could do it.

Living in the great lakes, you can make a good living in marine related trades. If I were starting over now without college, I think I would try to learn marine electronics.

The ONLY way to lose weight is to click on that link below.

Sales. You have to have decent capital / be personable / be willing to be poor for a couple of years. But things like insurance salesmen can crush it. For companies such as progressive, geico, etc. their agents take something like 10% of the value of the policy. But if you can get 10 new sales a month + the repeats from previous years, after 3-5 years you are crushing it.

If you are a really attractive female - medical sales (with more women doctors, I think the same can be said for really attractive males. I am neither)

The railroad. Requires some measure of mechanical/electrical aptitude, and companies will provide training.

Don’t you need an engineering degree for that?

🤣😂🤣

Hygeinic welder for pharma/other industry. Seem to be tough to have enough for projects ever and seems to pay well. Some community college classes, but not an entire “college” thing.

UPS driver.

Brother in law did it for 30 some years. Winters were tough, and turned ankles and back injuries were always a concern, (more as he got older of course).

And thats the down side of trade, if you don’t make it up the food chain or own your own business it can start to get hard in your 50’s and 60’s.

Figure out how to be the next Mr. Beasts. Of course people don’t realize the time that goes into those shoots and editing. But if you make it, you can make it big.

Electrician came to my FIL’s house the other day and said it’s damn near impossible to find help nowadays. He said he cannot even get people at apprentice under him for $20/hour. He’s going to pay someone $20/hour to learn from him so they will have a job making even more when they are done, and no takers.

Same with welders. Had a patient tell me he’d give up his right arm to hire three good welders right now. He said the ones that are available are in such demand that they can’t show up late, fail drug tests, cuss out the boss, etc…and they’ll have another job within hours.

We as a society made a huge mistake taking “shop” class out of high schools and pushing the idea the only way you can be successful is to obtain a college degree. We should’ve been encouraging students for both college and trade school

If you’re skilled, motivated, honest and smart you could make a mint.

Some 25 years ago a friend needed a plumber and had a heck of a time getting someone honest and reliable. He said basically the same thing and it’s solid advice; there’s a lot of stereotypes out there but if you were honest, punctual and skilled you could make a lot of $.

The railroad. Requires some measure of mechanical/electrical aptitude, and companies will provide training. You have to be willing to travel or live in some pretty remote places and don’t mind working in all kinds of weather. The pay is competitive, if not more so depending where you are, you pay into railraod retirement instead of social security. It’s an industry that isn’t going away, likely ever.

When I was getting ready to retire from the Marine Corps I looked into the railroad, even had two offers (BNSF and CSX). I wasn’t willing to travel. If I were a young man, single, I’d be all over that career.

The young and single part is spot on. It gets a little more difficult when you add a family into the mix. That’s why my nephew went from conductor to engineer to management. You also need to be someone who does not care if you are tied to a regular schedule because your schedule will not be regular.

Window washing is BIG right now. Friend started a business a few years ago window washing, gutter cleaning, holiday lights. Runs a staff of 6-10 and last year grossed just over $750k. He can support his family of 6 with annual trips to Hawaii for a month off that.

Electrical work: can work your way up while getting paid through an apprenticeship. The ambitious people start their own business and can scale the back half of their career versus “grinding”

Pilots: College degrees becoming less dependent. Still costly to get trained and ratings, but airline commercial pilots are now starting at $100k/yr plus. Member of my gym flys for American, makes about $400k/yr.

Fitness: Can do really well if this industry if your have a good personality, can get results and know how to scale (i.e. build a team or brand). I have seen the trainers with all the educational background really struggle to get clients and those that jumped into it with little education that are clearing $100k/yr and have built a strong brand with lifetime clients.

Others that are very lucrative; cement, woodworking, commercial fishing, starting anywhere at the bottom and working your way up over time.