Because this is a Canyon-rich environment, here's my take on Canyon's new cycling shoes

it’s called the Tempr CFR (CFR = Canyon Factory Racing). my review is here. i have 500 or 700 miles on this shoe (i haven’t counted exactly) and i would say, on balance, i like the shoes more than i like the bikes canyon is currently producing. i believe this is going to be an important shoe in our community, because of y’all’s affinity for canyon, but especially for long distance triathletes.

Dan what is the stance width adjustability and fore-aft (assume three hole pattern, I see from the images you were on speedplay)

Too bad their triathlon bikes are never in stock!

Too bad their triathlon bikes are never in stock!

These follow suit.

Well written and valuable review: thank you.
https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Cycling_footwear/Canyon_Tempr_CFR_Road_Cycling_Shoes_8990.html

Dan what is the stance width adjustability and fore-aft (assume three hole pattern, I see from the images you were on speedplay)

stance width adjustability: i do that with the cleat (the speedplay cleat) and with spindle length, and with pedal washers. i don’t rely on the shoe itself for that. as to fore-aft I didn’t measure the slot length or where that slot was on the shoe. i like my cleat quite far back and i had no problem getting the cleat where i wanted it.

stance width adjustability: i do that with the cleat (the speedplay cleat) and with spindle length, and with pedal washers. i don’t rely on the shoe itself for that. as to fore-aft I didn’t measure the slot length or where that slot was on the shoe. i like my cleat quite far back and i had no problem getting the cleat where i wanted it.

Good to know on fore and aft.

Agreed there are other ways to make stance width work, however, I prefer if the shoes don’t limit my width as i already use one pedal shim. Having said that, I am stuck with the limitation of three bolt pattern, and there is only 3mm wiggle room due to cleat design, so really in three bolt, it is where they place the holes in the shoe and if it is too narrow inherent stance, I only have 3mm from cleat and 1mm from shim to work with on each side (total of 8mm)

Good to know on fore and aft.

Agreed there are other ways to make stance width work, however, I prefer if the shoes don’t limit my width as i already use one pedal shim. Having said that, I am stuck with the limitation of three bolt pattern, and there is only 3mm wiggle room due to cleat design, so really in three bolt, it is where they place the holes in the shoe and if it is too narrow inherent stance, I only have 3mm from cleat and 1mm from shim to work with on each side (total of 8mm)

this is why speedplay has been the darling of bike fitters for a generation. there is no arc or axis of adjustment that’s beyond the capacity of this pedal system. as to stance width the best you can do otherwise is be on a pedal that has at least 2 spindle lengths. if you have available, say, 54mm and 58mm then you have some options, with the spindle itself + 1mm and 2mm pedals washers.

I am right on the stance width limit with Shimano pedals and the three hole cleat spaced apart as wide as possible with a 1mm pedal shim on many shoes but there are SOME shoes that put me around 2-3 mm further inward, in which case you are right, speedplay would be better, but that’s changing pedals on 4 bikes!!! (doable, but would rather not)

Tried the shoes based on this review. Turns out the shoes run super narrow. I don’t have especially wide feet (I wear normal width for running shoes, and specialized cycling shoes). The actual upper material was nice and compliant, but the base/sole material was stiff and shaped like a boat, so it limited the actual allowable pliability of the upper material.

Really disappointing as the marketing copy describes the toebox as extra roomy to allow for toe splay. Also going to end up taking a hit on the refund as they are saying the shoes are scuffed upon return and they cant accept any used returns.