Banyoles or Girona for an August training camp

Hi folks, I’m currently planning a two week Europe training trip in August, and am trying to decide between Banyoles and Girona, as flight and housing costs look very reasonable right now. I’m hoping to be able to hit a ton of climbing (we don’t really have any in NYC) without crazy drivers (which we have plenty of), and also get in some outdoor swimming and running. For some context, I took Spanish back in middle school (~13 years ago) and have a very elementary understanding of the language, and have no exposure to Catalan.

Would be interested in hearing any suggestions or warnings on these locations. Thank you :slight_smile:

Both places will likely be very hot in August.

Can’t be too much worse than NY, right? We frequently are at above 32 C during the summer months with very high humidity, and I am slated to race Kona this October so hopefully the heat will be beneficial.

Last year may be was an exception and I only remember the region of Perpignan, however near Banyoles or Girona, there it had above 40 C for quite some time.

Both places will likely be very hot in August.

^^^^^
This.

I wouldn’t go to either in August for training purposes.

Any potential alternatives that you think would be better? My two primary requirements are good roads and varied climbs since we’re pretty limited in those regards in New York.

FWIW, last summer I spent a week riding around Como in late July where 4/6 rides I did had significant amount of time spent above 32 C, and I felt like the heat then wasn’t nearly as bad as at home since it was much less humid.

I have not really a recommendation for a place in Europe which has it all in August, i.e. mountains, stable dry but moderate weather, affordable, nice roads … .

Basque Atlantic coast could be ok. Northern side of the Alpes, i.e. Austria, Switzerland, Germany. The Vosges in France or the Black Forest in Germany. Norway?

We will go end of July to the French Jura hoping it will be not too hot.

I’ve been to Girona in August the last two years.
Yes, it’s hot.
If you’re just riding, get out early and it’ll be fine.
Running will require some planning, or just go early/late.

Either location is great.

Banyoles, swim in the lake (you have to pay, but it’s super pleasant) There is also a 25 meter pool.
Some trail running close by.
Closer to Roccacorba and if you do longer rides, closer to France/Pyrennes.
Generally super quiet and peaceful.
No hustle and bustle.

Girona…
Flat and trail running available.
Nice pool. Outdoors. No OW spots.
Lots of bike shops/restaurants.
LONG climbs are a bit further away.
Plenty of lumpy roads close by.

I’d pick based on the town environment you’re looking for, and if you want to swim open water multiple times.

Agree on all this. Recall that August is a (full on) vacation month in Spain - everything shuts down and it more expensive.

Banyoles is dead in August, no shops, few restaurants and some of those may be closed for summer.

We live 40 km south of Barcelona, and just go out early to avoid the heat. It only really picks up around 10 or 11, even in August.

I would consider Basque country, check out little towns like Zarautz og just go to San Sebastian. Amazing cycling, you can reach the pyrenees and many sweet climbs from Irun.

I’ve been to Girona in August the last two years.
Yes, it’s hot.
If you’re just riding, get out early and it’ll be fine.
Running will require some planning, or just go early/late.

Either location is great.

Banyoles, swim in the lake (you have to pay, but it’s super pleasant) There is also a 25 meter pool.
Some trail running close by.
Closer to Roccacorba and if you do longer rides, closer to France/Pyrennes.
Generally super quiet and peaceful.
No hustle and bustle.

Girona…
Flat and trail running available.
Nice pool. Outdoors. No OW spots.
Lots of bike shops/restaurants.
LONG climbs are a bit further away.
Plenty of lumpy roads close by.

I’d pick based on the town environment you’re looking for, and if you want to swim open water multiple times.

Spain, especially the south does get crazy hot, just like southern Italy. Northern Spain on the other hand isn’t as hot. Maybe it could be worth looking into Asturias, Galicia. Camino de Santiago del norte might be a cool idea. Never done that myself.

I’ve never been to Girona or Banyoles in Summer but if you’re not the type that absolutely can’t stand the heat I’d say why not. Heat is a great training stimulus as long as you don’t get a heat stroke in the process. Use sunscreen, start early in the morning or late in the evening, hydrate a lot, etc.

A couple of years ago I went to Mallorca in August for a week. Yes it was hot but not hotter than it would be in Milan where I’m living now. I stayed in port pollensa and did all the famous rides (Serra de tramontana, sa calobra, Formentor). You do have to wake up really early for sa calobra and Formentor to beat vehicular traffic. Serra de tramontana and all the side roads didn’t have a lot of traffic.
Mallorca must be a slight exception though, I would avoid most beach destinations in southern Europe in july-august because of the insane amount of tourism that goes there. Mallorca just barely works because of the road confirmation. Most traffic is on the highway and main roads, so the side roads are mostly traffic free. I’ve never heard any cyclist recommending Mallorca in summer though.

I once went to canary islands (Lanzarote, stayed in la Santa) in summer and I thought it was nice. Canary Islands have a relatively stable weather so summer is warmer than winter but not hotter than continental Europe.

Still, if I had to choose a cycling destination for summer I’d choose the mountains. A popular destination in Italy is Bormio or the dolomites, I’m not sure of Spanish equivalents. Bormio has a lap pool but it’s got thermal water. On the other hand Bormio has amazing climbs.

The outdoor swimming requirement somehow eliminates a lot of destinations in the Alps. If you’re strict on that, Switzerland or Austria are much better options but they aren’t cheap.

I’m thinking lake Orta or the northern side of lake Garda in Italy might be interesting destinations for summer where you can have outdoor swimming. Might still be busy though.

A lot of the top pro triathletes go to font romeu in France near the border with Spain. In Italy Sestriere and Livigno are popular destinations for triathletes but the variety isn’t there (no flat roads in the alps) and the weather isn’t very stable. On the other hand Livigno Is investing a lot in attracting athletes there’s a new 50m pool. I would still choose Bormio over Livigno though.

Side note: I’m curious about your trip to Como as I tend to avoid that area in summer because of car traffic… how was it? Which rides did you do?

French here and for August, I would second Font Romeu or Les Angles (same area).
It’s a staple for French elite triathletes (Bergere is there at the moment), I’ve tried it and it’s a close to perfect spot in my view.

You’re higher up (roughly 1600m above sea level) so will have that altitude stimulus, and the temperatures will not rise so high, although sunshine is pretty garanteed.

Tourism season will be in full swing, so the roads will be busier than usual, but nothing extreme and the back roads will be plenty quiet. You have numerous climbs in every direction. Some of them are a staple for the Tour de France, like the Port de Pailhères.

You can OW swim for free in the lac de Matemale (home of the legendary Altriman, a local extreme iron-distance triathlon) or in the lac des Bouillouses.

There’s not much to do outside of sport (or sightseeing) however. But if you want a break from your sporty routine, it’s a one and a half hour drive to busy Perpignan. 20-30 minutes more and you’re on the beach for a dip in the Mediterranean (albeit a crowded one at this time of year).

Font Romeo is sweet, but a LOOONG way from an int´l airport, unless you rent a car (and still far from e.g. Barcelona)
Will leave it up to OP to consider if spending two more days on transportation, is worth it :slight_smile:

You COULD consider Club La Santa on Lanzarote! Ticks ALL your boxes, very similar to Big Island, 50m pool - and you have heaps of strong athletes to train with.

Sure, I had done quite a bit of riding in Switzerland and Como after racing Otillo Engadin last July. I stayed near Tremezzo and would ride to the ferry to get to different points of interest, as long as you aren’t on the main road that’s on the perimeter of the lake the roads aren’t too bad. The notable climbs I rode:

• Up to Vendrogno (cat 2, 7.5km and 500m gain at ~6.6%)
  • Pian Ranco from Bellagio (cat 1, 10km and 700m gain at 7.3%)
  • Colma di Sormano with the Muro (cat 2, 8km and 600m gain at 8.8%), would not recommend the Muro unless you have proper gearing and are very strong. I was riding 52/36 and 11-30 which forced me to grind ~50 RPM at 4 w/kg
  • Colma da Nesso (HC, 13km and 900m gain at 6.8%)
  • Roccoli Lorla from Dervio (HC, 17.5km and 1200m gain at 6.8%)
  • Passo Culmine San Pietro from Cortenova (cat 1, 23km and 800m gain at 3.2% with most of the climbing coming at the end)
  • Passo Agueglio from Cortenova (cat 1, 10.5km and 700m gain at 6.5%)

We tended to stick towards the eastern shore of the lake as there were more varied climbs there, and using the ferry let us shortcut quite a bit of flat riding on the busier roads.

An alternative could be the mid Pyrenees either the Spanish or French side. On the Spanish side the area around Panticosa is very nice, to the point we bought a house there. Plenty of climbs and not so hot due to the altitude. Then you are 1 to 2 hour car drive from many tdf climbs. You have a couple of beautiful lakes to swim (lanuza and bubal) but I believe all lap pools are closed during summer.

Hi folks, I’m currently planning a two week Europe training trip in August, and am trying to decide between Banyoles and Girona, as flight and housing costs look very reasonable right now. I’m hoping to be able to hit a ton of climbing (we don’t really have any in NYC) without crazy drivers (which we have plenty of), and also get in some outdoor swimming and running. For some context, I took Spanish back in middle school (~13 years ago) and have a very elementary understanding of the language, and have no exposure to Catalan.

Would be interested in hearing any suggestions or warnings on these locations. Thank you :slight_smile:

I did a one week cycling camp with https://www.rocacorbacycling.cc/ which is in Banyoles. The variety of riding is amazing around there and I swam at the 25 meter indoor pool too one day. When I went in late October, Ashleigh Moolman (female professional cyclist whose family operates Rocacorba Cycling) was in her off season and I actually had her as my personal guide for all the rides we took and she (the long time QOM of Rocacorba the climb itself) was kind enough to motorpace me up to the top of Rocacorba.

In August, she’ll still be in her racing season but the accommodations at their “cycling compound” in Banyoles were amazing and they could not have been more friendly, generous and welcoming (plus they have done even more upgrades since I visited). You may not need a “camp” or “guides” but you could still use it as a base potentially and connect with local triathletes and cyclists. They know absolutely every local athlete. At least check it out as an option. We also rode toand around Girona and spent some tourist time there as well and IMO Banyoles is a more pleasant training base. You can always visit Girona itself as well, obviously. The food shopping and local bakeries were also excellent and (relatively) very inexpensive for an American visitor.

IMG_6429 low rez under 1mb.jpg
PG and Ashleigh Moolman 2018 Under 1mb.jpg

Fellow New Yorker here.

Honestly, you can’t go wrong with either. I don’t think people on here realize how hot New York is. Anyway, I am not going to recommend additional cities and further confuse. Only thing I can say is that MANY cities/towns in Europe are great for cycling. First, I don’t think you can go wrong with either city. However, if going with a significant other, or if you’re young (13 year from middle school, so I’m guessing you are) I think Girona might be better. But, honestly don’t know. I was in Girona last year, and will be back there this year. Enough for the wifey to do. Also, it is closer (a 40-50 min train) to Barcelona. I rode through the outskirts of Banyoles to Rocacorba. So, can’t say how good/bad it is. I know they have a lake. So, if desire it to swim, it may be better. Girona however has quite a few lap pools. Banyoles, may be a touch closer to climbing, idk… All I can say is Girona is a little bit like cycling heaven. So, it can’t be much better… Both are close enought to Costa Brava. Imo, get a car in either town if doing ‘excursions’ Girona has good municipal parking… A beautiful town! Plently of options to rent a bike if not flying with one…

Oh. And the gradients on local roads in Weschester (on local / neighborhood roads) imo are steeper than roads in Catalonia, from what I’ve seen so far. Only, difference is Catalonia has much longer climbs. Other parts of Spain - Basque, Andalucia, (probably Asturias/Cantababria) have some of the steepist shit you’ve seen, and probably longer than Calalonia. Same with lots of parts of Italy… There are mountains where there are not even mountains… :slight_smile:

Good luck…

Based on this one. If you are looking for cooler - Basque, Cantabria, Asturias… If looking for Spain…

Despite my Italian roots, I have to admit Spanish drivers are way more ‘normal’ and safer around cyclists than Italian drivers from what I’ve seen so far…

Only been to Paris, but, I suspect France may also be a safe bet. All I can say is that the French seemed a lot friendlier than our American society makes them out to be… Any of these countries the food will be excellent…

I’m kind of biased, as I’ve been living here for the past six years, but have you considered the Canary Islands? I live in Gran Canaria (in the north, near Las Palmas), and I train outside all year. Compared to mainland Spain, your Euro goes much further here. Most of the roads are in excellent shape and the climbing is phenomenal. Playa de Las Canteras has a reef and at low tide there are always many swimmers - it is like a huge pool, fantastic conditions. Running as well, either along the water or in the mountains, always good.
As I said, I live in the north - many tourists base themselves in the south but I find it too hot and sunny to be there all the time. During the summer months in the north we have what is called the “panza de burro” (donkey belly) which is a cloudbank that hangs over the north and keeps things relatively cool. But if you get fed-up with the lack of hot sun, hop in a car and drive 45 minutes to the south where it is hot and sunny.
I went for a ride a few days ago, leaving from Tafira, then down through Telde (mid-island), then up into the mountains to Santa Lucia and San Bartholome. Round trip is about five hours, and I never even hit the roads in the south where the Challenge Mogan race takes place. Drivers are very respectful as there are a lot of cyclists around.
I’m moving back to Montreal in a few months, so I’ll have to get used to travelling for training again, but honestly there is an embarrassment of training choices here in GC, without having to go to Lanzarote/Club La Santa or Fuerteventura/Las Playitas.