Baltimore Bridge

Not sure what casualty list is like at present but that seems like quite the error

I always wonder how people keep going after a fuck up like that, assuming it was human error that caused the ship to hit the bridge.

Not sure what casualty list is like at present but that seems like quite the error

They’re currently searching for seven missing cars, which doesn’t sound like many considering 30,000 cars a day travel over it. There’s probably no “better” time for it to have occurred (1:30 AM)

We live about 20 minutes north of there - my wife got a text at about 5 AM this morning from one of her friends saying the Key Bridge collapsed and I thought like a section failed or something. The video is unbelievable - it’s just fucking gone.

This isn’t going to help with my bridge phobia.

Sorry for the victims and their families.

it raises all sorts of questions as it says the ship hit one of the supports - I assume thats a very large piece of concrete so it must not take a massive amount of movement to cause it to collapse but the speed with which it happens it shocking

“ Container ship Dali appears to lose propulsion/electrical as it approaches Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore. Ship loses lighting and begins drifting. Without propulsion, the ship would have little directional control. It collides with the bridge tower. Shown at 2X speed.”

https://x.com/dudleynyc/status/1772547287102939302?s=46&t=f4MKbkOzpNU_o_bXlnvUlQ

Annotated video https://twitter.com/...ses-into-patapsco%2F

Info on the ship. https://www.marinetraffic.com/…:9697428/vessel:DALI

Well written comment from my Boston Globe article (from commenter)

Ships underway in Baltimore Harbor are required to embark a harbor pilot. This is standard all over the world. The largest pilot organization in Maryland is the Association of Maryland Pilots. To qualify as a harbor pilot takes years. Harbor pilots are very well compensated.

A ship master may relinquish control of the ship to the pilot, who then gives orders to the helmsman for course and speed. More often, the master retains responsibility for course and speed directions and takes recommendations from the pilot. Either way, a ship master is accountable for safe navigation and seamanship.

We won’t know what happened for quite some time, though weather does not appear to have been a factor. The ship may have suffered an engineering casualty, loss of propulsion or steering, or both.

“ Container ship Dali appears to lose propulsion/electrical as it approaches Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore. Ship loses lighting and begins drifting. Without propulsion, the ship would have little directional control. It collides with the bridge tower. Shown at 2X speed.”

https://x.com/...MKbkOzpNU_o_bXlnvUlQ

It looks like it lost lighting twice, lights looked on when it hit the bridge, but I guess propulsion didn’t come back on or just too late to do anything about it?

This isn’t going to help with my bridge phobia.

Sorry for the victims and their families.

I had an aunt that rarely left Delaware because of her fear of bridges.

It looks like it lost lighting twice, lights looked on when it hit the bridge, but I guess propulsion didn’t come back on or just too late to do anything about it?

Holy shit. This is awful.

I’m not trying to start any other theory here and I am genuinely asking anyone who reads this. Watching the video I also saw it lose lights twice: but I also saw it start out parallel to the camera and then ended up directly perpendicular to the camera aimed straight at the support. Is that just coincidence or chance? I’m trying to understand how a ship of that size drifting makes that 90 degree turn and forward.

I’m ignorant to the layout of the waterway and how the ships work so.

I’m not trying to start any other theory here and I am genuinely asking anyone who reads this. Watching the video I also saw it lose lights twice: but I also saw it start out parallel to the camera and then ended up directly perpendicular to the camera aimed straight at the support. Is that just coincidence or chance? I’m trying to understand how a ship of that size drifting makes that 90 degree turn and forward.

They mentioned in the news conference that there is a pretty strong current in the river. That could turn a drifting ship pretty quickly. If the bow or stern hit bottom the ship would rotate almost as fast as the current.

Even with the 50’ mast on my little sailboat, I’m super paranoid going under a bridge even if there is 50 feet of clearance. I can only imagine the panic when they realized they were going to hit.

And some people are already blaming Buttegieg and/or the deep state and/or distracting from the P. Diddy thing (really?).

Yeah without the lights going out you’d think it was intentional.

They mentioned in the news conference that there is a pretty strong current in the river. That could turn a drifting ship pretty quickly. If the bow or stern hit bottom the ship would rotate almost as fast as the current.

Even with the 50’ mast on my little sailboat, I’m super paranoid going under a bridge even if there is 50 feet of clearance. I can only imagine the panic when they realized they were going to hit.

Ok I could see that; thanks for the info. Steering on water is no joke. My sisters bf has his 100 ton license and he was teaching me some things a couple summers ago with a small water craft. I can’t imagine doing it without power. Although I guess a lot of sailboats have a small motor as backup?

Two things I’m fine not steering…boats and trailers of any kind.

https://x.com/dudleynyc/status/1772547287102939302?s=46&t=f4MKbkOzpNU_o_bXlnvUlQ

Watching the video and I was yelling at every vehicle I saw passing over the bridge. “Faster, faster, hurry up!”

Obviously, we don’t have the full span of the bridge in the video but it didn’t appear any vehicles were driving over the bridge from what we could see. News reports say some vehicles went into the water so obviously there were vehicles on it.

I can’t believe how fast it collapsed.

=
Watching the video and I was yelling at every vehicle I saw passing over the bridge. “Faster, faster, hurry up!”

Obviously, we don’t have the full span of the bridge in the video but it didn’t appear any vehicles were driving over the bridge from what we could see. News reports say some vehicles went into the water so obviously there were vehicles on it.

I can’t believe how fast it collapsed.

look closely at the right side of the Center span. At the news conference there was talk of a construction crew doing work, probably filling potholes. You can see flashing lights on right side of the center span, and looks like there was probably a construction truck (or 2) with flashing yellow lights.

OMG…

That’s a frequent alternate route of mine.

Seems like they should’ve stopped traffic from even being on the bridge?!

But maybe they didn’t expect the whole thing to come down.

I’ve been wondering about communication among the ship, the port, and the bridge authority. I assume the port has an air traffic control of sorts that would communicate with both?

It does seem that traffic slowed or stopped on the bridge seconds before the strike. Although that may be coincidental given the early morning hour.

I’m no expert, but from what I can find on line:

The MV Dali is registered out of Singapore and was put into service in 2015. She is diesel powered. Looking at how that type of ship works the diesel drives the screw directly through a reduction gear. Electrical power is supplied from the diesel as well. It looks like she has one engine, which I find unusual, but maybe not for commercial ships. It that is case a casualty in the diesel will put the ship DITW, and that is what looks like happened.

not sure there was any time to stop traffic between there being a problem, contact and the collapse