Auto Ins and Total Loss Question: USed car title

Wife and I are still on the hunt for a new vehicle. I got on a used car kick and found a car somewhat local to us that looks like a great buy/value. Used car dealer was very upfront and said it has a salvage/rebuilt title. He also told me they bought it at auction.

I got the VIN and ran a Carfax.

In May of ‘23 the Vehicle was declared a total loss and specifies “non-collision damage reported.”

On the next line (3 days later) it shows that this vehicle was declared a “biohazard vehicle” and has minor damage to the front, front left, and front right of the vehicle.

Now I understand what biohazard means. Intuitively I would think the most obvious answer is that a head on collision resulted in someone’s death. However it specifies there was no collision and I’d expect there to be treated damage from something like that.

The dealer says he believes there was an attempted theft on the vehicle and that they had to get a new key for it. My own research also shows that theft can result in a total loss by ins companies. However he said it was not rebuilt and all parts are original.

I’ve been on the phone this morning with a patient who used to buy salvaged vehicles and rebuild them for his family’s use. I’m aware that NYS DMV will require its own inspection for a salvage/rebuilt title to ensure no theft.

My big question is if any Ins adjusters or anyone else can surmise as to why a total loss would be declared with no collision but minor damage to the front.

Murder or suicide inside the vehicle? And the minor cosmetic damage is just coincidence? Car was stolen and a junkie shot up in there and got some blood on the seats? Or took a shit?

I’ve got service records and will call those dealers to see if they would know anything but I understand that might be a long shot.

I’m invested in this now!

Flood damage with mold comes to mind.

Insurance and resale are considerations.

In '21 I completely rebuilt my classic '97 LX450, so I’m not afraid of gettin my hands dirty…
Wouldn’t consider a salvage title vehicle except for parts only.

I would pass on any car with a salvage title.

Also, I would never buy a used car from a dealer. You will get a better price from a private party and you can declare a low sales price to reduce use tax and registration fee.

Maybe fentanyl or meth mess. I’ve seen a few local stories about stolen cars for running drugs around Colorado.

In '21 I completely rebuilt my classic '97 LX450, so I’m not afraid of gettin my hands dirty…

Unless you can rule out flood, I would assume flood.

You don’t want a flood damaged car.

Either that or it was used to transport anthrax.

Maybe fentanyl or meth mess. I’ve seen a few local stories about stolen cars for running drugs around Colorado.

I’ve put on my detective hat and been sleuthing the past 2 hours. I found a record of the same make and model being stolen at gunpoint around the same time as the carfax reports. It was then recovered in a different city. I contacted the police dept that recovered it and they were less than helpful. I’m trying to get in touch with the original detective on the case. Even called place where it was stolen to see if I can get details about color. Owner is back tomorrow.

I’m completely invested in this and find it entertaining. Maybe it’s the same vehicle, maybe not.

If it is the same vehicle and I find out from the police that no one was killed in it then not a bad deal. If I find out that the front end minor damage is due to bullet holes and a gang member was murdered in it? Less than comfortable and I know my wife would never go for it.

But this could be an absolute steal or it could be a total waste. Might change my user name to “Insp Clouseau.”

Would flood damage give it a “Biohazard” label?

If the best case scenario here pans out this could be a $60+k vehicle for ~$16-18k. I’d consider that a major win considering no structural damage or flood damage.

If someone was killed in this vehicle, that’s a different story.

What is the car? Is is something you’d want anyway or is it just that it’s a great deal?

Do you keep yuor cars for a long time?

What is the car? Is is something you’d want anyway or is it just that it’s a great deal?

It’s definitely a car we would want. This is actually the same make/model we were looking for but multiple trim levels above what we could afford. And we would keep this vehicle for this price/value.

If the best case scenario here pans out this could be a $60+k vehicle for ~$16-18k. I’d consider that a major win considering no structural damage or flood damage.

I don’t get this at all. What are you worried about if someone was killed in the vehicle? I would assume it’s been completely cleaned up and there is no residual blood/feces/whatever so the concern is? Are you worried about ghosts? Bad luck? Superstition? Other nonsense?

As long as your investigation does not reveal something that will affect your health or the safe operation of the vehicle you should take the bargain and run with it.

It’s definitely a car we would want. This is actually the same make/model we were looking for but multiple trim levels above what we could afford. And we would keep this vehicle for this price/value.

I’d say go for it. If someone was murdered in it you’ll always have an interesting story to tell.

I was a Union carpenter foreman in NYC. At one time, I had a young Mafia son come to work for me out of the Union Hall. He drove to work in a big old Lincoln sedan, one of those old square ones. He told us that he bought it from the estate of Big Paul Castalono after Big Paul was rubbed out. People were always making up stories about how many people got strangled with a piano wire in that car.

I don’t see any reason not to get the one you’re interested in. It’s just a car, and it’s a great deal.

I don’t get this at all. What are you worried about if someone was killed in the vehicle? I would assume it’s been completely cleaned up and there is no residual blood/feces/whatever so the concern is? Are you worried about ghosts? Bad luck? Superstition? Other nonsense?

As long as your investigation does not reveal something that will affect your health or the safe operation of the vehicle you should take the bargain and run with it.

I would be completely fine with it. However we’re looking for a vehicle for my wife and she would not jump in that thing if she was paid.

I’d say go for it. If someone was murdered in it you’ll always have an interesting story to tell.

I was a Union carpenter foreman in NYC. At one time, I had a young Mafia son come to work for me out of the Union Hall. He drove to work in a big old Lincoln sedan, one of those old square ones. He told us that he bought it from the estate of Big Paul Castalono after Big Paul was rubbed out. People were always making up stories about how many people got strangled with a piano wire in that car.

I don’t see any reason not to get the one you’re interested in. It’s just a car, and it’s a great deal.

Would be a great story. My wife, however, is not so enthusiastic about having a story. I’d love to know the history on the missing person’s reports during the ownership of that Lincoln!

Unless you can rule out flood, I would assume flood.

You don’t want a flood damaged car.

Either that or it was used to transport anthrax.

Just read some more and flood or mold could also result in a biohazard. Ignore my previous reply.

Thanks for the info!

Not sure why its an issue, if someone was killed in it, nor why that would give a biohazard warning, unless you can see major blood stains. WAY more likely its a flood car with Mold. Do not buy a flood car.

My first thought when I saw your first post and comment about scrap car, no damage, biohazard… SCREAMS Flood car. Never would have even thought of someone dying in the car.

Not sure why its an issue, if someone was killed in it, nor why that would give a biohazard warning, unless you can see major blood stains. WAY more likely its a flood car with Mold. Do not buy a flood car.

My first thought when I saw your first post and comment about scrap car, no damage, biohazard… SCREAMS Flood car. Never would have even thought of someone dying in the car.

If there are any human bodily fluids, blood, brain, feces etc, (all likely with a death in the vehicle), or birth given inside the vehicle, it will be considered a biohazard and must be handled accordingly before being given a new title (salvage) safe for the road again. Blood could be a few drops from a bloody nose or someone’s hand dripping blood from getting cut as they broke into it. Or it could be as big as a bleed out from death. The former is obviously better than the latter.

I have a few calls to make tomorrow to see if I can get any more info. If not, I will assume it is flood damage and pass.

If something is too good to be true then it usually is

If something is too good to be true then it usually is

I promise it’ll be different this time! I got a great tip on a horse. I’m due!

If there are any human bodily fluids, blood, brain, feces etc, (all likely with a death in the vehicle), or birth given inside the vehicle, it will be considered a biohazard and must be handled accordingly before being given a new title (salvage) safe for the road again. Blood could be a few drops from a bloody nose or someone’s hand dripping blood from getting cut as they broke into it. Or it could be as big as a bleed out from death. The former is obviously better than the latter.

I have a few calls to make tomorrow to see if I can get any more info. If not, I will assume it is flood damage and pass.

I have never heard of a vehicle being given a scrap title, cause someone shit their pants, threw up, had a baby, bleed in the car, or was killed in the car.

I mean, why would it get scrapped, you clean it and move on. Man with my kids and car sickness, I guess I should have scrapped a lot of vehicles.

I mean I have looked at houses that had deaths in them, never labeled bio-hazard, they got cleaned up after, and things move forward (other than realtors have to disclose if someone died in a house.)

Maybe I am not understanding what your saying, but Yeah, never head of a scrap car, because someone was killed in it. Flooded OH yeah, and Mold gets everywhere so its not even as easy as removing the carpet, there is fiber material’s all over the car.