Anyone still run tubulars?

I need to get some new tubular tires. I’ve run Continentals and Schwalbe tires in the past.

What is everyone who still runs tubs using now?

I still use tubs on my enve 7.8 wheels,
Now I’m using vittoria corsa pro, great ride feel, used pirelli p zero before that, fine tire, but durability was pretty bad. Lots of cuts in a short time.

Continental Sprinter on the rear, the cockroach of tubulars… in a good way, it’s a tough survivor. Not so pretty or fast though, but then again neither am I.
Bontrager Race in front, looks like they don’t make it anymore.

There aren’t a lot of choices left… the Vittoria Corsa Pro 2 if I was actually racing, but in fact I am now a participant and not competitive, so probably another Sprinter when I need a new tire.

If I was riding tubulars on the road for racing only I’d be on the Vittoria Corsa.

If it was an all around set of wheels I’d likely be on Conti Sprinters. If it was crxppy training roads I’d be on Tufo

Yup. I even bought some new sets of rim brake tubular carbon wheels very recently.

Veloflex ProTour tubs are what I use. Awesome tires.

I need to get some new tubular tires. I’ve run Continentals and Schwalbe tires in the past.

What is everyone who still runs tubs using now?

I was racing on Corsas. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem with tubs and latex tubes, but I pumped up the tyres after 3 months of no racing over winter and both tubes blew. I think the sealant stuck the deflated tube together and it popped when I blew then up? I’ve bought some Conti Comps 25mm, but looking at Conti Podium TTs which I’ve used before or Cont Competition TT which comes with a latex tube and is faster and lighter than the standard comp.

As already mentioned, Vittoria Corsa is a safe bet. I did not try the Pro yet.
I also have Veloflex ProTour on the road bike, love them.

@Zedzed, yes, this is what happen when you put sealant in a latex tube and you dont maintain pressure. Tube get stuck. I never do it. Only exception would be the day I use a Corsa Speed for a race…

Yes, but only on the TT race wheels. Although I haven’t raced in a while, I’m too old to get new wheels for the TT bike. Currently have old Vittoria Cross (8 years old) on the wheels with 6 Vittoria Graphenes in the bin - assuming I ever race again, which I may not.

Edited for types and a lack of proof reading before posting. Ugh.

I just bought some Continental Competition tubulars last year from my LBS for $60 each, like them quite a lot. They replaced some worn Vittoria Corsas. I have a set of pretty old 404s and a tubular disc that I just use for races. I’m staying with rim brake until I die, never felt braking was holding me back.

On my Sunday go to meeting rims I run 27 or 32mm FMB Paris Roubaix tubular. They are still the sweetest tires I have ever been on. Expensive, but what the heck. I have prolly 8 or ten sets of aluminum tubular rim brake wheels that are worth almost zero. I understand they make open tubular now, but I still like to ride the tubular occasionally.

As already mentioned, Vittoria Corsa is a safe bet. I did not try the Pro yet.
I also have Veloflex ProTour on the road bike, love them.

@Zedzed, yes, this is what happen when you put sealant in a latex tube and you dont maintain pressure. Tube get stuck. I never do it. Only exception would be the day I use a Corsa Speed for a race…

Gotcha thanks.

I bought a set of Zipp 404 tubulars this week from a friend of mine. I still run tubulars as my race wheels and I have a set that I use for training g as well. I’m planning on buying a couple more sets when I see them just to have a few extras around. I don’t plan on changing any time soon.

I run Continental Competition or Sprinter tires. Thin. 22s. I’m very much a retrogrouch.

RP

Anyone need some nice aged Conti tubies let me know. I have several left at blow out prices…My last set of tubular wheels are 650c and I dont have a bike for them anymore, so think my days are over for those old fast tires and wheels…These are 700c though…

What tires are they? I could be interested

I still have a set of ENVE 3.4 Gen 2 with DT Swiss 240s hubs that I wrap with Vittoria Corsa Control 2.0 30mm for winter and spring riding.
I still have a sweet spot in my soul for tubulars and rim brakes in the early spring.
If you’re a dedicated Conti Tubular rider I would buy them from this guy in the link below, he sells the “Pro” version which have latex tubes. He a legit seller, I bought up 10 FMB tubulars from him 3 years ago. He gets pro gear from the European teams. Also bought a KASK Bambino Pro EVO 18 months ago or so which isn’t available in North America.

https://www.cykom.com/collections/tubular-tires?filter.v.availability=1&sort_by=title-ascending

Out of town at the moment, will do an inventory when I get back. Lots of Conti’s, different widths and models…

Sounds good. Rebuilding an old tubular 404 rear wheel into a track wheel over the winter, want some narrower tubs for the track but I figure as a complete newbie, some reasonably good road tubs will be good enough for an outdoor velodrome, no need to go buy the crazy expensive track specific ones.

I still have to find a tubeless tire that corners as well as a good Vittoria Corsa. Still run them in crits and in rougher road races. Rode some 25mm tubulars up Mt Evans/Blue Sky last year and the famously rough descent was tolerable for the first time. Helped that I also used box-section rims.

That said, I don’t like the more recent Vittoria Corsa treads. Seem to be a bit slow and dull, but soak up the rough stuff well. Noticed this on the tubeless also. The Corsa Pro tubeless are a big improvement though.

I switch between tubulars and tubeless for cx races. Only real tubie advantage is for off camber stuff. need to get the pressure just right on the Donnelly MXPs and PDXs though as the sidewall is quite stiff. I run the non-tubeless ready Donnellys as tubeless because they are much more supple and haven’t had any problems. Need to keep a good eye on them and change them out if they expand much over time.

still racing tubulars here. Too much invested in wheels to switch at the moment. Front is a HED Stinger 6 and rear is a choice of Zipp Sub 9 Disc with Powertap hub or HED Stinger 9 with Powertap hub. Running Conti GP’s on all of the wheels.

still racing tubulars here. Too much invested in wheels to switch at the moment. Front is a HED Stinger 6 and rear is a choice of Zipp Sub 9 Disc with Powertap hub or HED Stinger 9 with Powertap hub. Running Conti GP’s on all of the wheels.

I didn’t know the GP came in a tubular?