Anyone else use this cap-goggle-cap trick to not lose their goggles in either an OWS or pool dive-in race?

Watched this short clip by CNBC in advance of the Olympics about putting on a tech swimsuit and noticed this tip that I haven’t used but seems like should be useful for either dive-in pool swim races or even OWS in a scrum where you (likely) will get smacked in the head a couple times, risking losing their goggles.

It’s easy - cap one, tight goggles next, then 2nd cap again, so the 2nd cap helps keep the goggles on, even with that power pool dive entry.

Anyone else use this cap-goggle-cap trick to not lose their goggles in either an OWS or pool dive-in race?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aUn7qj5iyg

I always have the goggles under my cap in OWS races to keep them from getting knocked off.

The dual cap thing is for hydrodynamics. The silicone cap on top lessens drag; the latex one underneath clings to skin better and helps keep the silicone one in place and wrinkle-free. For tris I personally don’t want the extra warmth of two caps, and the cap you have to wear on top is the cap supplied by the organizers which is not a racing cap (usually they give you a latex one or thin silicone). Racing caps are typically a bit thicker, molded into a hemispherical shape, and are seamless.

Yes, but I do find that it can get hot over longer races.

Just go with goggles first then cap for most tris. Heat buildup is not worth it, unless it is an early season race, in whch case, yes…cap-goggles-cap

Just use one cap, put it on over your goggles, and put the front edge of the cap over the top of the goggles as well. Double cap in most OW races would be brutally hot, although in a cold early season race it would be good I guess

Just use one cap, put it on over your goggles, and put the front edge of the cap over the top of the goggles as well. Double cap in most OW races would be brutally hot, although in a cold early season race it would be good I guess

I’m on the west coast so double capping is the norm for me!