Another Aerowheel Thread... Sorry to be that guy

I apologized in advance - but am finally getting a new bike (cervelo) after my last bike got damage on the way to Roth. With it a lot of changes for me… disc brakes… tubeless? And trying to get some thoughts on Wheels. The bike comes with Reserve 63/52 Wheels, which are shallower than what I currently ride (90/77). Its a tax free weekend here so i have been looking at wheel set options.

• Option 1: Stick with the reserves
  • Option 2: Zipp 808 Firecrests
  • Option 3: Hunt 7387
  • Option 4: Jet RC Pro 90/60?
  • Option 5: Parcour Chronos 68/75

Obviously open to other suggestions - in terms of price i can get all the above in the 1400-1900 price range

No opinion on the reserves or the parcours
I’ve had athletes on Hunt wheels and most seemed happy. Had one athlete maybe 6-8 years ago that had a bad rear hub which was replaced under warranty no fuss no muss

The HEds will be faster than the Zipps

I’ve had athletes on Hunt wheels and most seemed happy. Had one athlete maybe 6-8 years ago that had a bad rear hub which was replaced under warranty no fuss no muss

Thread over. :slight_smile:

Thanks Brian.

Question - How are the Hed Hubs? I have heard good things about the hunt ceramic ones and have heard that Zipps can be a mixed bag (better than several years ago but not great)

Hed hubs are great. No issues in 4 years.

TBH, I can’t think of any modern mod to high end hubs that aren’t great.

Solid rear disc wheel.

Buy the HED’s and be done with it, and later if the budget allows get their disc.

It’s hard to explain just how comfortable a spoked dic is over the course of several hours.

But if you go hookless you don’t need to ride around with a suppository

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=8171349#p8171349

Stick with reserves and get a disc for raveday (or everyday, discs are fun)

Edit: meant raceday but raveday can also be fun

I assume you are getting a new P5. If that is the case Reserves are basically free and the new P5 was designed with those wheels so it may still be faster than a slightly deeper wheel from another company. If it were me, I would spend the cash a disc. It will be faster and it the best bang for the buck.

And HED VS premier wheels?

And HED VS premier wheels?

I can’t answer that but I’ll tell you this

I have a DT Swiss 1400 and a Premier 88. The DT Swiss is known to be a top wheel

I haven’t yet run them head to head, in the same session.

BUT…I get very good repeatability day to day. Example I am a .232 today and if I test tomorrow I am a .234 and the day after .231…(when I wear the same clothing)

The Premier 88 and DT Swiss are really really close. I suspect that if watts/$ Premier wins easily.

There are plans to run them head to head, I just haven’t had time yet

I know this is what Cervelo says. But then again they make the reserve wheels…

Do we really think that they are faster in that frame than other wheels…

Reason I’m asking is I have the option to essentially trade in the new wheels for credit through my shop. So not lost money if I go with something else

But if you go hookless you don’t need to ride around with a suppository

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=8171349#p8171349

but what if you could win a few consecutive grand tours?

No thread used to be safe from Lionel, but now no thread is safe from Slowman’s hookless proselytizing.

I apologized in advance - but am finally getting a new bike (cervelo) after my last bike got damage on the way to Roth. With it a lot of changes for me… disc brakes… tubeless? And trying to get some thoughts on Wheels. The bike comes with Reserve 63/52 Wheels, which are shallower than what I currently ride (90/77). Its a tax free weekend here so i have been looking at wheel set options.

Obviously open to other suggestions - in terms of price i can get all the above in the 1400-1900 price range

These are not exactly your depth options, but it does give a good idea of who is doing what well
https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/wind-tunnel-tested-which-road-wheels-are-the-fastest/

Why don bontrager wheels get slept on? What am I missing? Their RSL version use DT Swiss 240 hubs, are 23mm wide internally, and hooked. Specialized in house brand is usually included in reviews so why not Bontrager? For the money and the specs the Bontragers seem good on paper and they have industry leading warranty? Granted, my tri bikes are Trek’s.

No thread used to be safe from Lionel, but now no thread is safe from Slowman’s hookless proselytizing.

reddit. i’m not there. you’d be happy there. freeeeeeee!!! from slowman’s hookless proselytizing. but i will give you this: that’s not an easy word to spell.

Haha you’ve certainly earned the right to say anything you want anywhere on this site (or any triathlon site really). I don’t mind the proselytizing and yes, I had to look up how to spell it because spell check kept telling me I had it wrong.

You should give Parcours a few points for the quality of their data
https://cdn.shopify.com/...per.pdf?v=1664462477

• Kyle Smith rides them and we know the performance of a wheel for an AGer is directly related to the performance of a sponsored pro athlete :slight_smile: