AITAH, bloody mary edition

I got off this morning at 7 AM, left the hospital and picked up my sons to take them to breakfast. I’m wearing my surgical, scrubs and cap, hospital ID badge. At the end of our orders, I ask for a spicy, bloody Mary, one of their specialty drinks. The waitress asked me for identification. I open my phone and show her the photograph. I keep of my drivers license, and told her that I keep this in my phone, for when I don’t have my wallet, Which I didn’t. I. Waitress says I’m sorry I can’t except that, I need to see the original identification card. I said OK, I’m 48 years old in here with my teenage son, is that really necessary or do you need to scan it with a device to be able to order it because I have a photo of the back of my license with the barcode. She says no, I can’t except the photo it Hass to be the original. Would you like something else from the menu? I said no thank you.

I was inclined to leave no tip, and I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I gave her 10%.

It wasn’t terribly busy, and I feel like just the slightest effort to accommodate the customer who is clearly over the age of 21 would be reasonable. Run it by the manager, or just look at every available sign that confirms this person ordering is well above the age of 21 and move on with your day. I get that she may be in fear of losing her job or something else and play that I’m not aware of, but I feel like, that’s just not putting out an effort to take care of your customers.

Do you leave a tip in this instance, as though that never happened, reduce the tip, or not tip at all?

Edit: ignore the funky punctuation and grammar, voice to text is going sideways on me

Why didn’t you have your wallet?

You really want to bust her balls for following the rules and avoiding getting fired because you can’t be arsed to carry a wallet?

If this was Tennessee, you would not have been served either. The liquor laws are very strict and they take them seriously. I remember once when my dad came and we went to the Preds game, he got carded at age 70 something. And they were serious about it. Even the bartenders I know and order from every single game have to see my ID.

And I definitely understand about Siri making up different words.

I think it’s an establishment policy more so than anything. I know the grocery stores have a sign, saying, anyone who appears under the age of 40 will be asked for identification. I don’t get carded at the liquor store or bar or grocery store, with rare exception.

When we have DoorDash delivered groceries, they are required to scan the back of our ID to deliver wine. So that I can understand being a rule that cannot get around, but it was clearly up to the waitresses discretion as to whether she was satisfied about my age. They are not required to scan the ID or show to the manager or anything beyond what happens at the table. So it just strikes me as a little bit lazy and unaccommodating when you refuse to serve someone who is clearly twice the legal age for drinking alcohol.

You really want to bust her balls for following the rules and avoiding getting fired because you can’t be arsed to carry a wallet?

At what point did I bust her balls?

When you docked her tip.

I got off this morning at 7 AM, left the hospital and picked up my sons to take them to breakfast. I’m wearing my surgical, scrubs and cap, hospital ID badge. At the end of our orders, I ask for a spicy, bloody Mary, one of their specialty drinks. The waitress asked me for identification. I open my phone and show her the photograph. I keep of my drivers license, and told her that I keep this in my phone, for when I don’t have my wallet, Which I didn’t. I. Waitress says I’m sorry I can’t except that, I need to see the original identification card. I said OK, I’m 48 years old in here with my teenage son, is that really necessary or do you need to scan it with a device to be able to order it because I have a photo of the back of my license with the barcode. She says no, I can’t except the photo it Hass to be the original. Would you like something else from the menu? I said no thank you.

I was inclined to leave no tip, and I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I gave her 10%.

It wasn’t terribly busy, and I feel like just the slightest effort to accommodate the customer who is clearly over the age of 21 would be reasonable. Run it by the manager, or just look at every available sign that confirms this person ordering is well above the age of 21 and move on with your day. I get that she may be in fear of losing her job or something else and play that I’m not aware of, but I feel like, that’s just not putting out an effort to take care of your customers.

Do you leave a tip in this instance, as though that never happened, reduce the tip, or not tip at all?

Edit: ignore the funky punctuation and grammar, voice to text is going sideways on me

She’s enforcing someone else’s rules, she likely sees the absurdity of it too. Seems unfair to dock her for doing her job.

Tips are based on a subjective assessment of service. They can range from zero percent upward. It’s not exactly busting someone’s balls based on your perception of their effort to accommodate the customer.

I’m fairly certain a quick conversation with the manager would have change the outcome of that situation.

Not an answer, but why would you wear the scrubs and cap, that you wore around sick people for a whole shift, out to breakfast? Why would you expose your family to whatever is on you from the hospital?
I always change before leaving work, and ask my team to do the same.

Tips are based on a subjective assessment of service. They can range from zero percent upward. It’s not exactly busting someone’s balls based on your perception of their effort to accommodate the customer.

I’m fairly certain a quick conversation with the manager would have change the outcome of that situation.

Yeah I was thinking you should have Karen’d her and asked to speak to the manager.

I’m all in favor of using a little bit of common sense when it comes to rules and laws.

When I leave for work in the morning, I put my scrubs on at the house. I keep extra scrubs in our call room and bring some in my bag as well. When I leave the hospital, I put my dirty scrubs in a plastic bag to be washed at home, and I change into a set of clean scrubs. I don’t bring street clothes into the hospital. That’s what I was wearing. I had my nondisposable cap on because my hair was a mess after working.

I get the comments from everyone, but a quick, “I understand sir, but it’s our policy and everyone is carded”, would probably diffused the situation.

Yeah I was thinking you should have Karen’d her and asked to speak to the manager.

I’m all in favor of using a little bit of common sense when it comes to rules and laws.

See Cathy‘s post above. Common sense has largely left town.

On the rare occasion, I buy a bottle of wine at the grocery store, and I forgotten my ID, the cashiers either exercise, some common sense, or have asked her manager to approve it, and not with me asking. It was if their own initiative. It just struck me that the waitress made absolutely no effort to make that accommodation, and it wasn’t even close in terms of whether I’m legally entitled to buy alcohol.

For the record, good service typically gets a 25% tip for me. It’s rare that I go below that, and this is the first time I think I’ve ever gone below 15%. It’s not something I put a lot of thought into, but ultimately, you are tipping for service, and when someone doesn’t make an effort to fulfill a customer order when in reality, there’s no reason that they could not or at least verify that they could not, it’s not 20 or 25% gratuity service. I don’t mean to sound like a prick, but servers are not entitled to a 25 or 20% tip. I tipped what I felt was reasonable given that she made no effort to make that accommodation when a manager almost certainly could have made the difference there. I felt that was less than exceptional service, and my tip reflected that.

On the rare occasion, I buy a bottle of wine at the grocery store, and I forgotten my ID, the cashiers either exercise, some common sense, or have asked her manager to approve it, and not with me asking. It was if their own initiative. It just struck me that the waitress made absolutely no effort to make that accommodation, and it wasn’t even close in terms of whether I’m legally entitled to buy alcohol.

I rarely take my wallet with me when we go out to eat and I usually have a drink. I definitely crossed the old looking line at some point in the last decade because I was still getting carded in my early 40’s, but I’m 53 now and can’t remember the last time I was carded for alcohol either in the grocery store or at a restaurant.

I rarely take my wallet with me when we go out to eat and I usually have a drink. I definitely crossed the old looking line at some point in the last decade because I was still getting carded in my early 40’s, but I’m 53 now and can’t remember the last time I was carded for alcohol either in the grocery store or at a restaurant.

In PA, they scan your license at grocery store when purchasing beer or wine. At least in my area they do.

Maine seems a lot more relaxed than other states when it comes to alcohol sales.

YTAH. She doesn’t make the rules and she isn’t going to risk getting grief for you. She is working that shit job at 7AM on a Sunday because she really needs the money. The last thing she needs is someone giving her shit because they can’t get be bothered to do what everyone else does.

Pissing off the people preparing your food is a dicey game.

I didn’t argue with her. I didn’t make a scene. I didn’t ask to speak to the manager. She told me no, asked if I wanted something else, I politely said no thank you and that was the end of it.

I’ve got more sense than to piss off the people who are preparing my food. That’s up there with fire, hot, knife, sharp.

When you chopped her tip in half