Aerohead vs. vanquish, significant aero gains?

Wondering if, on average, there are significant aero gains going from a giro vanquish (aero road helmet) to an aerohead or similar? If it’s marginal gains, I probably have other areas of my setup to improve before upgrading the helmet. Anyone have any insight they can share?

https://i1.wp.com/aerogeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Giro_Vanquish_MIPS_Aerodynamics_and_Cooling_Power_Data_pdf.png?resize=470%2C197

The above chart is from the Vanquish launch. If anything, it significantly understates the advantage of the Aerohead vs. the Vanquish. Giro used to do testing using one head position (similar to the position you would have riding a road bike on the hoods). They now measure across a range of head positions, and the Vanquish has tested poorly compared to their newer road helmets. In contrast, the Aerohead has consistently been one of the fastest helmets for a wide range of riders.

The thing I love about the Aerohead is that it’s also a great bargain. Bought my first one for $125 on a Black Friday sale, and my second one a few months ago for $150 brand new off eBay (from a bike shop selling there).

Wondering if, on average, there are significant aero gains going from a giro vanquish (aero road helmet) to an aerohead or similar? If it’s marginal gains, I probably have other areas of my setup to improve before upgrading the helmet. Anyone have any insight they can share?

After looking at the chart that Titanflexr posted I have tested much greater differences on individuals than the charts show.

It’s really a no brainer. If you want to go faster get the aerohead. If you want to beat your buddies gift them a Vanquish!

After looking at the chart that Titanflexr posted I have tested much greater differences on individuals than the charts show.

It’s really a no brainer. If you want to go faster get the aerohead. If you want to beat your buddies gift them a Vanquish!

Have you tried the new POC Procen yet? That seems like it bridges the gap between lighter aero road helmet and TT lid, though I bet it still falls short of a decent TT helmet like the AeroHead.

Have you tried the new POC Procen yet? That seems like it bridges the gap between lighter aero road helmet and TT lid, though I bet it still falls short of a decent TT helmet like the AeroHead.
There’s a post on here a few down the list by Colin and his wind tunnel data says the opposite…

A Duathlete in the Wind Tunnel – Syllepsis

Wow, much appreciated! Seems pretty cut and dry. Aerohead it will be!

Other way around. Link suggests the Procen is faster.

Other way around. Link suggests the Procen is faster.

Ah, I see, thank you! After a quick search it seems like the Procen might be tough to locate in the US. Does it just sell out quickly when POC restocks?

I’ll start with the regular caveats that everyone is different, bla bla bla…

My buddy did an IM two summers ago. He suffers big time in the heat.
His head is way up, like way up.
We tested him and the Aerohead was 8w faster than the Vanquish (5h30 IMMT pace)
He raced with the Vanquish

https://i1.wp.com/aerogeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Giro_Vanquish_MIPS_Aerodynamics_and_Cooling_Power_Data_pdf.png?resize=470%2C197

The above chart is from the Vanquish launch. If anything, it significantly understates the advantage of the Aerohead vs. the Vanquish. Giro used to do testing using one head position (similar to the position you would have riding a road bike on the hoods). They now measure across a range of head positions, and the Vanquish has tested poorly compared to their newer road helmets. In contrast, the Aerohead has consistently been one of the fastest helmets for a wide range of riders.

The thing I love about the Aerohead is that it’s also a great bargain. Bought my first one for $125 on a Black Friday sale, and my second one a few months ago for $150 brand new off eBay (from a bike shop selling there).

I’m bummed to see the evade scorec so poorly there. it’s been my race helmet for a few years. time to upgrade i guess!

I’m bummed to see the evade scorec so poorly there. it’s been my race helmet for a few years. time to upgrade i guess!

Not sure which Evade that is, but the latest (3) is still one of the fastest road helmets out there.
#2 after the Procen Air in a CyclingNews wind tunnel shootout

Not sure which Evade that is, but the latest (3) is still one of the fastest road helmets out there.
#2 after the Procen Air in a CyclingNews wind tunnel shootout

Apologies if I am being dense, but can you help me understand that chart? The numbers are in seconds. So, for an Ironman, the difference between an Evade (-17 seconds), and Aerohead (-117 seconds) is 100 seconds?

This is Giro’s data, so take the results for competitors with a huge grain of salt. Giro has also subsequently modified its testing protocol, and the Evade now scores better than the Vanquish….but not as well as Giro’s current aero road helmet offerings (go figure).

From Giro re: their Eclipse Spherical:

Not only is Eclipse Spherical a big step up from the speed of our previously fastest aero road helmet, the Vanquish, it is the fastest road helmet we have ever tested. Eclipse beats the closest aero road helmet competitor by 14 seconds over 100 miles at 25mph, and is a full minute faster than our own Vanquish. (Wind Averaged Drag, combination of 80% typical riding position and 20% head down riding position.)

I’m a bit confused/surprised by the Bare Head entry. Reduction in front area notwithstanding, I thought true aero helmets were faster than the spherical-ish bald head. I could be way wrong…that was just my expectation. I’m also confused by the “grams” entry for Bare Head. What is 203.4g with a bare head?

Edit: Ah, the grams must be grams of drag. Nevermind. 80/20 weighted between two different angles or something.

I have put it on and tested it on 3-4 people, don’t remember the results. That was back in January.

I have put it on and tested it on 3-4 people, don’t remember the results. That was back in January.

One I remember : Stephen…tad slower than Rudy

Don’t tell my wife I remember this shit because I can’t remember garbage day

I can not recall the evade ever losing to the vanquish. While I wouldn’t personally race a tri in the Evade, I’ve tested a lot of athletes who wanted to know what, if any, penalty there would be for their hot and/or humid races in places like Kona, southern US, Asia etc.

Don’t forget there are 2 sides to this equation. If the Evade is 6w slower and you want to overcome that you’re going to be producing 24-30w of internal heat. Does the cooling outweigh the negative impact of more internal heat? IDK, that’s a harder question to blanket answer and I suspect will differ for everyone.

Now if I was racing bikes I’d go with the Evade every race.

I’m a bit confused/surprised by the Bare Head entry. Reduction in front area notwithstanding, I thought true aero helmets were faster than the spherical-ish bald head. I could be way wrong…that was just my expectation. I’m also confused by the “grams” entry for Bare Head. What is 203.4g with a bare head?

Edit: Ah, the grams must be grams of drag. Nevermind. 80/20 weighted between two different angles or something.

I thought this was odd also.
In the early days of aero helmets, they were just fairings with no actual protection and only worn because they were faster than bare heads.

I can not recall the evade ever losing to the vanquish. While I wouldn’t personally race a tri in the Evade, I’ve tested a lot of athletes who wanted to know what, if any, penalty there would be for their hot and/or humid races in places like Kona, southern US, Asia etc.

Don’t forget there are 2 sides to this equation. If the Evade is 6w slower and you want to overcome that you’re going to be producing 24-30w of internal heat. Does the cooling outweigh the negative impact of more internal heat? IDK, that’s a harder question to blanket answer and I suspect will differ for everyone.

Now if I was racing bikes I’d go with the Evade every race.

From CyclingWeekly

Untitled 3.jpg

They state that they had 1.19% of variance due to testing with a person and not with a dummy. However they didn’t state if that was extreme variance or average between runs. If it was the latter the results are mostly useless. If it’s the former the results are still quite questionable