77 year old Time Trialer's Position

I’ve been asked in PM’s for a picture of me on my Scott. Guess what - you can’t post pictures in PM’s, so here is a quick picture taken by my wife.
This is right after coming back from a training ride, so it’s not my full kit.

MeOnScottReach.jpg

Looks great!

Aero socks?

Looks better than the vast majority of positions of males half your age.

I’ve been asked in PM’s for a picture of me on my Scott. Guess what - you can’t post pictures in PM’s, so here is a quick picture taken by my wife.
This is right after coming back from a training ride, so it’s not it’s not my full kit.

What is the longest you have gone in that position? Looks fantastic!!

Great position!

Thank you everyone. On race day I wear a skinsuit and calf high socks in lace shoes, with Velotoz covers. The bike gets a disc rear, all the bottles and carriers come off, and a solid 56T chainring for a better chainline to the middle cassette gears. Tires will be what is currently fastest, with latex tubes, 23mm front, 25mm rear.

Races are usually a pure out-back Time Trial, 10 miles or less. I find the whole “go as fast as you can” on a bicycle to be absolutely fascinating!

Congratulations, look’s great!

A practical advantage of clinchers with tubes over both tubeless and tubular is, that one can easily change to tires specific for the upcoming race.

Scott Plasma 3 is still an underrated but fast frame. We have 2 of them in the TT version. In aero tests on size S frames, but otherwise quit similar setups, somehow more stretched out positions came out faster.

How long are your cranks, how tall are you?

How long are your cranks, how tall are you?

Cranks are currently 165mm, and I’m 5’ 11" tall. The frame is a medium. Also, it’s hard to tell from the picture, but the pedals are old Time Impact = low stack height.

Thanks for the info, it kind of looks like your seat is too low( I know I know), so if you switched to 155 cranks you could also raise your saddle a bit. Also open up the hip angle a bit more…

Of course this is just all eyeball stuff, if you got on a proper fit bike you could do all that stuff in seconds and try it in several trials…Might get you more aero too…

Damned impressive. I’m in my early 40s and I’m losing flexibility already.

I loved that bike. It rode so smooth compared to others of that era. Some of those frame scratches look exactly like the one I sold.

When I did the aero bike shootout I talked with the guys at Cervelo. They told me that that plasma was the inspiration for the P5-3/6. They said their thought process was what happens if you take that frame and stretch it to the bounds of what is UCI legal. they also said the P5x could have been about 5w faster with rim vs disc brakes but that’s a different story for a different day.

I’d be willing to bet that the P5-6 and Scott Plasma 3 are probably still in the top fastest 15 bikes you can own with a bit of modification such as running the cables through the Plasma frame .

Damned impressive. I’m in my early 40s and I’m losing flexibility already.Flexibility, except maybe a little in the neck and shoulders, has virtually nothing to do with it.

I loved that bike. It rode so smooth compared to others of that era. Some of those frame scratches look exactly like the one I sold.

When I did the aero bike shootout I talked with the guys at Cervelo. They told me that that plasma was the inspiration for the P5-3/6. They said their thought process was what happens if you take that frame and stretch it to the bounds of what is UCI legal. they also said the P5x could have been about 5w faster with rim vs disc brakes but that’s a different story for a different day.

I’d be willing to bet that the P5-6 and Scott Plasma 3 are probably still in the top fastest 15 bikes you can own with a bit of modification such as running the cables through the Plasma frame .
I’ve been very happy with the Plasma 3 - it’s fast and reliable. I built it up from just a frame into a 1 x 10 mechanical. On group rides it’s the fastest bike on bridge roll-downs, but maybe that’s because of the extra weight I’m carrying! :slight_smile: I’d like to add a more aero front brake, and possibly a Tri-Spoke front wheel. That’ it!

I’ve been seeing good results with the few trispoke tests i’ve done lately.

One suggestion I may add is to gain a little reach. Typically adding reach is faster. So far it’s worked about 13/15 times that I can remember testing it on people this year

One suggestion I may add is to gain a little reach. Typically adding reach is faster. So far it’s worked about 13/15 times that I can remember testing it on people this year
Thank You - I will try +12mm’s - the extensions are are old Profile Sonic Stryke’s, and that’s what the hole spacing is.

Actually, I have a theory that agrees with your observations. I don’t do TT’s with bottles - maybe I should!! My theory is based on the displacement hull speed limitations relative to the water line hull length for boats. Essentially, the longer you can make this seamless shape, the better -

Therefore, someone like Ganna - who is 6’ 4" tall with a long torso - has a real advantage on a flat surface when doing something, like say, the Hour Record.

210027-largest_sam_laidlow_profile.jpg

Damned impressive. I’m in my early 40s and I’m losing flexibility already.Flexibility, except maybe a little in the neck and shoulders, has virtually nothing to do with it.

OK, OK… Call it mobility.

Bike fit

😎

The OG “narrow is aero” trispoke, or one of the newer ones?