70.3 Hawaii swim

Anyone know what happened?

From the IM tracker app:
Today at 11:03 AM
Due to high winds (15 mph sustained, gusts up to 22 mph), we are unable to maintain the original course. For the safety of all of our athletes, we will be using a protected short course of approximately 750 meters.

From the IM tracker app:
Due to high winds (15 mph sustained, gusts up to 22 mph), we are unable to maintain the original course. For the safety of all of our athletes, we will be using a protected short course of approximately 750 meters.
Thanks for the background. Some people unhappy, many people happy.

From the IM tracker app:
Thanks for the background. Some people unhappy, many people happy.

yeah, because they can’t swim.

Congrats for ironman 69.6 lol

I am at the race, when you can’t get water safety personal out on the swim course due to conditions and buoys aren’t staying in place, that is an issue. They made the right call.

Well they seem to have gotten a 750 swim somewhere, how about a couple laps of that??

Monty, you can’t do 2 laps on that course. There is a very narrow openning in the coral reef on the start and exit of the swim. You cannot fit that many people through either.

Always wanted to do this race, it’s just so far to go. How’s the vibe? Is it a big race?

It is a fun and very challenging race to do. I have had the good fortune to attempt to have a good race there, several times. The swim is beautiful, tough sighting coming back in as you swim directly in to the sun. The ride can be fast, windy, definitely undulating, and ultimately hot. Then the run, up, down golf course cart paths and stretches along greens. You also now have a long stretch out on a road, that is like running in an oven. It will test your fitness, soul, and desire to push yourself in the heat, humidity and beauty of the island. I highly recommend embracing the challenge.

Always wanted to do this race, it’s just so far to go. How’s the vibe? Is it a big race?

This year there were about 1400 individuals and 45 relay teams. A fair number of locals do it, especially the relays, but we also get people from all over (I met people from NZ, Germany and the UK). No pros anymore, so quite a different vibe than the full, and it also doesn’t shut everything down like the full does.

It’s no joke in terms of a challenge, though - the run is pretty brutal, and this year the crosswinds were pretty strong both on the Queen K and the Akoni Pule (the highway between Kawaihae and Hawi). Bike times were slower accordingly - made up for the shorter swim. :wink:

This was my 12th year doing the race, and even though I have a love/hate relationship with it (it’s brutal and I’ve never really nailed a race here), I keep signing up year after year. It helps that I live here now, but before I did I always considered it a great destination race.

Ian