5 millionth post on tri forum

Did I get it? As of right now we are at 4999998.

Cheers,
Maurice

Cheers,
Maurice

Looks like it. I was just about to post this.

Not sure where you are seeing the total count, but good catch! You’ve built quite the place for us triathletes, Slowman. Thanks!

Haha, nope it’s you.

Been here 10 years, I remember back then it was a little more “rough and tumble”. Some people say that it’s a bit more discourteous around here now.

In a relative sense I find it much more polite and respectful currently.

Happy 5 million slowtwitch!

Maurice

Haha, nope it’s you.

Been here 10 years, I remember back then it was a little more “rough and tumble”. Some people say that it’s a bit more discourteous around here now.

**In a relative sense I find it much more polite and respectful currently. **

Happy 5 million slowtwitch!

Maurice

P*** off… Want a bouquet or something?
(Sorry I couldn’t resist!!) lol

Cheers,
Maurice

Where did you find this info???

The crowd is definetly nicer to people whose first language is not English.

1.) Yes, we’re over 5 million posts in this forum. Something like 12 million across all of our forums. Thank you to all for your contributions.

2.) I think we’re certainly more civil than we used to be, in part because we’ve been slightly more active on asking people to be more polite in their interactions. That’s probably cost us a couple contributors over the years, but I’d rather have people feel like they can take a chance on posting something without someone immediately yelling at them that “this is a topic that has already been posted about, use the search bar.” There used to be trial by fire to be a long-term member around here.

Anyways. Thank you all. Eric, Dan, Jordan, myself, and the rest of the ST team appreciates it.

I think it’s more civil now than it used to be. Unfortunately, we lost a lot of really smart people who used to post but don’t anymore. There used to be a wealth of information on here but now it seems you really have to look for it. There’s still some smart people that post here but it’s inconsistent and only on certain topics. I can also understand that they don’t want to give out information for free.

1.) Yes, we’re over 5 million posts in this forum. Something like 12 million across all of our forums. Thank you to all for your contributions.

2.) I think we’re certainly more civil than we used to be, in part because we’ve been slightly more active on asking people to be more polite in their interactions. That’s probably cost us a couple contributors over the years, but I’d rather have people feel like they can take a chance on posting something without someone immediately yelling at them that “this is a topic that has already been posted about, use the search bar.” There used to be trial by fire to be a long-term member around here.

Anyways. Thank you all. Eric, Dan, Jordan, myself, and the rest of the ST team appreciates it.

Any stats on the number of posts per year or per month over the years ?

There was a forum I used to belong to - long dead now - which had a dashboard where you could see which threads had the most posts (as we do) but also which threads had the most members posting in them

You could also see how many posts a member had (as we do) but also which threads they posted in most often

Not like we’d need that here; just more data points to snoop on LOL

There was a forum I used to belong to - long dead now - which had a dashboard where you could see which threads had the most posts (as we do) but also which threads had the most members posting in them

You could also see how many posts a member had (as we do) but also which threads they posted in most often

I use a very unscientific metric : how long it takes a thread to scroll off page 1.

A “long” number of days means post volume is low. These days, it’s about 4 days.

Congratulations.

I would love to see how long between each milestone. I am guessing it took less time to get from 6 million to 7 million than it took to get from 11 million to 12 million. It seems things remain on the first page of the forum longer than they used to. Care to share?

HTFU…😁

The first post I could find was Dan’s welcome post on December 18, 2002. I joined December 22, 2002.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Welcome_P7/?sb=post_latest_reply;so=DESC;page=unread#unread

For people wondering, you can find the total thread / post count by forum at the directory page - https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/

I could pull some numbers on frequency and such if we can come up with a basic list.

The thing that the forum always makes me appreciate is “old tech.”

The underlying forum software is essentially unchanged in 20 years. It was written back when you couldn’t make a lot of assumptions about bandwidth or memory. And code had to be performant. Perl is a very good language. The forum is extremely fast, especially on modern hardware.

Really the biggest change we made was to the CSS - to make it adaptive so it works a lot better on mobile. But that’s front end. Nothing really in the server architecture has changed.

There are some “niceties” that I’d like to add in the next couple of years, but mostly I just appreciate how lightweight and fast the architecture is. It’s VERY good.

I’ve had some people approach us about “modernizing” the forum’s tech stack. I’m generally like, “thanks but no thanks…

dont_know_how_anymore.png

Who has the most posts can be found here
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=user_list;sb=user_posts;so=DESC

Who has the most posts can be found here
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...b=user_posts;so=DESC

It would be nice to be able to filter that in different ways.
On a very quick look at appears that Dev will take the top spot in the next few months, but windywave has nearly twice the posting rate so given a few more years could topple him.

In a relative sense I find it much more polite and respectful currently.

Maurice

Less information with less depth per topic on the whole, at least imo. I have my forum page set to 90 posts per page. In the way back past it often took a post <24 hours to roll to page 2. Now it takes 4-5d. If you wanted to stay up to date on some of the threads you had to check in multiple times per day in order to not have to read 8-15+ posts. Now you can check in once every 24-48h and stay up to date.

I think we’re certainly more civil than we used to be, in part because we’ve been slightly more active on asking people to be more polite in their interactions. That’s probably cost us a couple contributors over the years, but I’d rather have people feel like they can take a chance on posting something without someone immediately yelling at them that "this is a topic that has already been posted about, use the search bar.

Dang, tell people for a few years to use the search engine because they asked if they should ride a disc and you never live it down! The search thing isn’t that hard to use if you know what you’re looking for imo.

Some of the smartest people in the world in their academic /athletic fields got booted off for being fiery and/or snarky in their replies while some of the best posters left/got driven off by people who wanted to argue from a position of ignorant bliss. Remember the guy who told Chris Boardman he didn’t know anything about time trialing or professional bike racing?

The LR shouldn’t count