2024 World Triathlon Championship Series Yokohama

With the cancellation of Abu Dhabi throwing everyone’s Olympic prep and qualifying into chaos, this actually doesn’t seem like the 1st big race of the season. All the world Cup races (and any others) seem to have become more important and we’ve already had the opportunity to see most of the big names race.

I’ve no idea who’s using this race as a final Olympic qualification race (apart from knowing the British aren’t) so someone else can fill in the blanks there maybe.

Big names giving this a miss for the men…
Yee, Wilde and Le Corre.

Women
GTB, Potter, Coldwell, Beaugrand

Last years results…

1. Wilde

2. Hauser

3. Vilace

4. Coldwell

5. Tapia Vidal

6. Knibb

my predictions
w

1. Knibb
  2. Gwen
  3. Lombardi

m
1.Hauser
2.Bergere
3. Blummenfelt

With the cancellation of Abu Dhabi throwing everyone’s Olympic prep and qualifying into chaos, this actually doesn’t seem like the 1st big race of the season. All the world Cup races (and any others) seem to have become more important and we’ve already had the opportunity to see most of the big names race.

I’ve no idea who’s using this race as a final Olympic qualification race (apart from knowing the British aren’t) so someone else can fill in the blanks there maybe.

Big names giving this a miss for the men…
Yee, Wilde and Le Corre.

Women
GTB, Potter, Coldwell, Beaugrand

Last years results…

1. Wilde

2. Hauser

3. Vilace

4. Coldwell

5. Tapia Vidal

6. Knibb

Waugh, Mathias, Rainsley and Holland all on the start list, I’m completely guessing that a good result here will land them on the Cagliari start list, giving them a chance to qualify?

I’m surprised to see Waugh on the start list though as I’d have thought she’d be guaranteed, I’m not going to pretend I know what I’m talking about here though?

yokahama race has 0 impact on caglary race as startlists and waiting lists have already been set.

Are wait lists available to see on the WTCS website?

USAT says first women who podiums goes to Olympics. What if Knibb wins and say Gwen was able to take 2nd, or 3rd. Does she qualify?

Yes
Search on wait and scroll down

Gwen, Duffy and Holland all looking to turn back the clock, interestingly Gwen is the highest ranked out the three!

Who comes out on top in this mini battle of the old school?

Duffy was being wrote off a couple of weeks ago as a medal contender on here by some, I read Holland had the fastest run split in a race she’d done recently in a decent field, it’s obviously really difficult to say where Duffy is right now.

Are wait lists available to see on the WTCS website?

World triathlon.com
search for waiting list at top right had side. Officially updated every Tuesday

USAT says first women who podiums goes to Olympics. What if Knibb wins and say Gwen was able to take 2nd, or 3rd. Does she qualify?

https://www.usatriathlon.org/articles/features/how-elite-triathletes-qualify-paris-2024-olympic-and-paralympic-games

Shirt answer yes she will qualify

I got:

1. Lombardi

2. Knibb

3. Spivey

4. Yee

5. Wilde

6. Coninx

I got:

1. Lombardi

2. Knibb

3. Spivey

4. Yee

5. Wilde

6. Coninx

Yee and Wilde aren’t racing.

Stapley is 1st on the waitlist and is already in Yokohama so I assume he is going to be racing.

Love to see him in the mix and build on his WC win.

I was a big critic of Gwen when she announced her return but what she has achieved is brilliant. If she doesn’t podium I am not sure she will be a USAT pick for Paris. If Spivey is still injured or underperforming like the end of last year Gwen could get a chance but think it is an outside one.

The contrarian picker hath spoken.
(It’s a crapshoot. I have a metric ton of “wildcards” for this race, don’t even get me started. Love how unpredictable short course can be.)
Make yours at: https://www.dailytri.com/...s/wtcs-yokohame-2024 and lower my placing in the table even further.

my-picks.png

Here are mine. Those netted a 549:(

Picks.jpg

I got:

1. Lombardi

2. Knibb

3. Spivey

4. Yee

5. Wilde

6. Coninx

Yee and Wilde aren’t racing.

Thanks for the heads up! Revision:

1. Coninx
  2. Bergere
  3. Pearson

Stapley’s girlfriend is racing, so maybe he has gone there hoping. After all if he is first on the waitlist, there is a good chance

1. Connix

2. Hauser

3. Vilace

4. Waugh

5. Lombardi

6. Knibb

Stapley’s girlfriend is racing, so maybe he has gone there hoping. After all if he is first on the waitlist, there is a good chance

Stapley is 1st on the waitlist for Cagliari as well. IF he races both and IF he has good results that will be a head scratcher for the selectors.

Saturday in Yokohama is forecast to be sunny, not too hot or humid but windy with some solid gusts happening. If the winds forecast plays out that ought to make the bike a bit more challenging despite the lack of significant hills. I’m excited to see what form we’ll see athletes demonstrating this fairly short time out from Paris.