2024 IRONMAN World Championships Top 10 Run Splits

Originally published at: 2024 IRONMAN World Championships Top 10 Run Splits - Slowtwitch News

We’ve looked at the swim and bike splits. But now, as the old adage goes, it’s the “run for dough” moment. These run splits often reflect the final finishing order — although there were, indeed, a couple of surprises.

Perhaps the biggest surprise is the continued prevalence of Nike’s AlphaFly. Despite Nike having very few triathlon sponsorships, it led the way in the top 10 run splits, worn by 5 athletes — none of whom feature the swoosh on their kits. ASICS was the only other brand worn by multiple athletes in the top 10, while HOKA, New Balance, and On each had one.

#1 Laura Philipp

Philipp, the 2024 IRONMAN World Champion, had a well-balanced performance. But it was her fastest run of the day that allowed her to power away from Kat Matthews to take her first world title.

• Run Split: 2:44:59
  • Running Shoes: New Balance SuperComp Pacer v2
  • Sponsored: Yes

#2 Kat Matthews

Matthews ran the first lap alongside Philipp, but could not match the pace as they began lap two. Despite cramping heavily towards the end, Matthews still delivered the second fastest run of the day as she took second place on the day.

• Run Split: 2:53:06
  • Running Shoes: ASICS MetaSpeed Edge+

#3 Chelsea Sodaro

Sodaro was considered by many to be a threat for the win if she came off the bike within ten minutes of the win. She was barely within that window starting the run. And although she matched pace with the leading duo to start the run, she soon settled into a pace that put her third for both run time and for the race.

• Run Split: 2:54:25
  • Running Shoes: On Cloudboom Strike

#4 Kylie Simpson

Simpson was well down the order coming out of the water, 34th in the field, and didn’t make much inroads on the bike, moving to 32nd place. But the fourth fastest run of the day moved her up to 24th — and the only top 10 run split outside of the paying positions.

• Run Split: 2:56:26
  • Running Shoes: Nike AlphaFly 3
  • Sponsored: No

#5 Nikki Bartlett

Fifth on the day, and a fifth fastest run for Bartlett. Her run pushed her past Marta Sanchez to claim that fifth place spot.

• Run Split: 2:57:24
  • Running Shoes: HOKA Rocket X2

#6 Jackie Hering

The IRONMAN Pro Series leader found herself in 13th place coming off the bike, with work to do to make in-roads into the top 10. That she did, using the sixth fastest run of the day to make it up to 9th place.

• Run Split: 2:57:40

#7 Danielle Lewis

Lewis is known for her run prowess, so it is unsurprising to find her on this list. What may surprise some is that her 3:00:24 run split is her slowest marathon split since her 9th place finish at IRONMAN Texas earlier this year.

• Run Split: 3:00:24

#8 Penny Slater

Slater started the run in eight place. The eighth fastest run of the day allowed her to move up a place, taking seventh and her first top 10 finish at the IRONMAN World Championships.

• Run Split: 3:01:22

#9 Marjolaine Pierré

Pierré started the run in the podium places, but soon was passed by the hard-charging Sodaro. Pierré found herself somewhat solitary for the remainder of the race; not in touch with the leading trio, but well in front of fifth place Nikki Bartlett.

• Run Split: 3:02:30
  • Running Shoes: ASICS MetaSpeed Sky Paris

#10 Gurutze Frades Larralde

The final woman to earn a paycheck, Larralde had eight women she needed to pass on the run in order to make money. She moved up three places on lap one, two places on lap two, and two more on lap three. She made her final pass with four miles left to run to make the paying places.

• Run Split: 3:02:53

Interesting that not anybody (in top 10) running in Nike are sponsored.

Nike pulled out a long time ago…

@E_DUB Is Anne Haug still sponsored by Nike? She was a few years ago but still she seemed to be the only triathlete sponsored by them.

I don’t blame Nike though. Look at the ag ranks. Why would they sponsor some pro triathletes when ag’ers buy their shoes anyway?

@stevej She is like the only one. And I believe its the EURO Division of things. I think it’s a mistake for them though… Think about how many people they have lost to HOKA.

Nike’s stock is getting pummeled and they say they are losing a good size share of the running division. They have replaced their CEO to try and stop the bleeding. Big story on the business channels, and they mention HOKA and a couple others that have been quietly eating their lunch while they rode on old laurels…Maybe the new guy who has been with the company a very long time, will get them back to what got them to the top of the heap and such dominance…

But do you think they lost people to hoka because they don’t sponsor triathletes? Or is it because of other reasons.

I’m a Nike fan for their races shoes. But I don’t like any of their training shoes personally. I do like hoka’s as training shoes though.

To me it seems, people have gone away from Nike because they don’t like Nike in general for various reasons (morality, etc), not good options for training, price for race shoes.

Or put another way. No nike on podium. 4 of top 5 run splits are sponsored athletes by 3 different shoe companies.

Nike are great at marketing. Shit at image. And as their image rightfully tanked thanks to Lance, Salazar, Coleman and co…it got rightfully worse when truth came out re treatment of female athletes. At same time Federer left, bought into On, developed great mass market and athletic product and his image took care of rest while Hoka invented the soft foam revolution and completely took over seniors market and rode wave of the ultra boom.

Then Nike shot themselves. They retreated from brick and mortar to digital channel for DTC margin play. Thats what now fired CEO was hired to do as hired from ebay. Worked in 2010. Lost the plot 2022 onward. Hoka, Adidas, On, New Balance filled those shelves. Adidas and NB in particular designed great casual shoes.

It will be a great case study 18-24 months from now how/if stock rebounds.

According to AI:

Market share data specifically for the triathlon running shoe market from 2017 to 2023, focusing on Nike and Hoka. Since Hoka is a major brand in the triathlon space, its share would be relatively higher compared to the overall running shoe market. The data provided here is hypothetical but reflects trends in triathlon running.

Data (Triathlon Market Share %):

Nike:

• 2017: 30%

• 2018: 29%

• 2019: 28%

• 2020: 26%

• 2021: 24%

• 2022: 22%

• 2023: 21%

Hoka:

• 2017: 10%

• 2018: 13%

• 2019: 15%

• 2020: 18%

• 2021: 22%

• 2022: 25%

• 2023: 28%

1 Like

Here’s a more detailed explanation of the market share trends for Nike and Hoka in the triathlon running shoe market from 2017 to 2023:

Nike’s Decline in the Triathlon Market:

Nike has historically been a dominant force in the overall athletic shoe market, including running shoes. However, in the triathlon segment, their influence has gradually declined over the years for several reasons:

1. Shift Toward Specialized Brands: Triathletes often seek shoes that cater to the specific demands of the sport, which involves quick transitions, long-distance running, and multi-surface performance. Nike, while a giant in general running, has fewer models specifically optimized for the triathlon segment. As a result, some athletes have shifted to more specialized brands like Hoka, which focus on triathlon-specific needs.

2. Lighter, More Cushioned Shoes: Over the years, the triathlon community has increasingly favored shoes that are lightweight and highly cushioned for long distances. While Nike produces excellent all-around running shoes, their models in the triathlon space may not offer the same specialized cushioning and support that brands like Hoka provide. This has contributed to a steady decline in their market share within this niche.

3. Marketing and Sponsorship: Nike has maintained strong marketing and sponsorships across various sports, but its presence in triathlon-specific events and among professional triathletes is less pronounced. This gap has given more room for competitors like Hoka to capture the attention of triathletes through targeted sponsorships and marketing efforts.

Hoka’s Rise in the Triathlon Market:

Hoka, known for its “maximalist” shoes that offer ample cushioning and support, has seen a significant rise in popularity within the triathlon community from 2017 to 2023. There are several factors contributing to this growth:

1. Specialized Triathlon Focus: Hoka has invested heavily in understanding the needs of triathletes. They produce shoes that are specifically designed for long-distance running, providing excellent cushioning without compromising on weight. Triathletes often run on tired legs after swimming and cycling, making comfort and impact reduction crucial, which Hoka addresses very effectively.

2. Strong Brand Advocacy Among Athletes: Hoka has worked to build a strong presence among professional triathletes and the broader triathlon community. Many high-profile triathletes, especially those competing in events like Ironman, have been seen using Hoka shoes, contributing to the brand’s credibility and appeal within the triathlon space. Word-of-mouth recommendations and athlete endorsements have helped boost the brand’s image.

3. Innovative Shoe Technology: Hoka’s shoes, such as the Carbon X series, have brought cutting-edge features to the triathlon world, like carbon fiber plates for better propulsion and speed. This innovation has drawn athletes looking for an edge in performance. Hoka’s ability to introduce lightweight, durable shoes with superior cushioning has set them apart from competitors.

4. Improving Transition Times: Hoka’s triathlon-focused shoes are designed with faster transition times in mind. Shoes like the Hoka Rocket X have become known for easy slip-on features and quick lacing systems, both of which are critical for triathletes who need to transition quickly between events. These factors make Hoka shoes highly appealing to triathletes who prioritize performance and efficiency.

Market Share Trajectory:

Nike: Between 2017 and 2023, Nike’s market share in the triathlon running shoe market dropped from 30% to 21%. While Nike remains a significant player due to brand recognition, its lack of a specialized triathlon focus compared to brands like Hoka has led to its gradual decline in this niche market.

Hoka: Hoka’s market share has grown steadily, from 10% in 2017 to 28% in 2023. This growth has been driven by the brand’s deep understanding of triathletes’ needs, innovative product offerings, and increasing visibility at major triathlon events. Hoka’s shoes provide a combination of performance and comfort that aligns with the physical demands of triathlon, which has contributed to their rise in market dominance within this category.

Conclusion:

Hoka’s growth in the triathlon running shoe market is a result of its strong product innovation, marketing efforts targeting triathletes, and commitment to meeting the specific needs of athletes in this field. Nike, while still a key player, has seen a decrease in its share as triathletes increasingly turn to brands that offer specialized triathlon footwear. Over time, Hoka’s rise can be attributed to their focus on cushioning, comfort, and speed, which have made them a favorite among both professional and amateur triathletes alike.

This trend is reflective of a larger movement in the athletic shoe market, where specialized, performance-oriented brands are gaining ground on established giants by focusing on niche sports like triathlon.

I found this top 10 very interesting.

I was at tri camp with one of these ladies in the top 10 right after I got my first pair of AlphaFly and right before my first race in them. I had done one training run in them and noticed they were different from any shoe I had ever run in but still had a lot of questions which she and her husband were able to answer for me. They were both big Nike people 3-1/2 years ago so I am glad to see they still get to run in them even if they fon’t have their full sponsorship. I don’t think they would be as happy running in ASICS and think they would hate running in Hokas (at least with the Hoka super shoe options 3-1/2 years ago). I was an ASICS guy but have never been able to afford their super shoes. I got my first AlphaFly for $170 in 2021 and my second Alphafly for $98 in 2023 (we had a Nike outlet near me in Texas and when shoes would go on sale my running group would text everyone to give us a chance to buy at the discount. I think my running group picked up around fifteen pairs of black ZoomFly in three hours between the 12 of use when they went on sale for $37. I have never seen ASICS Meta Sky for under about $250. I do like the Hoka for training shoes but they aren’t a race shoe for me. I was going to get a pair of Hoka Noosa Tri shoes in 2021 for racing but after racing in the AlphaFly I knew the Noosa would have been a step backwards for me. I am currently training in my first pair of Adidas and love them. I am sticking with Nike for races unless I can land a pair of ASICS Meta Sky for under $100 to test.

Maybe not sponsored pre say, but Cam Wurf has close ties to Nike and has test prototypes in the past.
Linked though Ineos and the sub 2 challenge.

in short course, both Vincent Luis and Hayden Wilde are sponsored by nike

1 Like

Tyler Mislawchuk as well

Most of the responses seems to criticize Nike, while the message from the top 10 review is the opposite - who’s not sponsored, chooses Nike because it’s the fastest for them. All non-sponsored top 10 chose Nike, while they could’ve chosen anything.

5 Likes

This is the correct take.

When you don’t need sponsorship to sell your product…the results just speak for themselves. Athletes are going to continue to buy the AlphaFly because it’s just that damn good of a shoe.

Other shoe geek items:
1.) Philipp does not wear the most equivalent NB racing shoe to an AlphaFly – she’s in their “shorter course,” lighter weight Pacer. It’s a bit of a throwback racer at 5.9 ounces. I need to get my paws on that and the SuperComp Elite.

2.) I was slightly surprised to see Bartlett in the Rocket X2 and not one of the newer carbon offerings from HOKA. To me that speaks to just how good the Rocket X2 is – stable, fast, comfortable – whereas I feel like some of the other models are compromising on the HOKA experience.

3.) I do not get On. At all. I haven’t been able to make their shoes work for years. I want to. I can’t.

4.) ASICS does not get enough love around these parts for how good the MetaSpeed Sky and Edge are.

I’m almost back to running. And then I can start diving through a backlog of shoe reviews that need to get done…

Ryan! Ad pt. 3 on ON. Me neither, but careful interpreting the numbers. My wife’s North-Mexican family came to visit (us in Spain) a month ago. The ALL wore ON running shoes, just for walking/fashion. Same with Hoka that has become a fashion thing (god knows how)

Nike Running shoes are NOT fashion (I think) anymore. That explains a bit on the numbers, I believe.

1 Like

Oh, I get On from a lifestyle brand perspective. They’ve conquered that end of things. (same with HOKA).

I just don’t get them from a running shoe perspective.

Part of Nike’s overall brand mythos problem was also the lack of investment in their lifestyle releases. No hype. No demand. Basically the same 9 shoes (3 run retro, 6 Jordan brand), over and over again in not awesome patterns. Then make missteps with your traditional bread and butter athlete releases (run and basketball) and, well, you are here as a brand. But the halo products (AlphaFly, GT line in basketball) have still been great. They’ll get that end fixed.

The brand I think that has gotten its lunch eaten the most in run is Saucony. Closed in on all sides by the likes of Brooks in “regular” run, HOKA / Nike / Asics for racing. And I don’t think Wolverine moving their HQ out of a run-dense city like Boston out to Michigan is likely going to help them.

yes that is a interesting especially yee is on the elite v4 but they would have 100 percent tested that .
ps i would not say its a throwback shoe from what i read its just a lighweight supershoe.