Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

so....how far did the slots roll at AC70.3?
Quote | Reply
anyone know?
Quote Reply
Re: so....how far did the slots roll at AC70.3? [TryPT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Idk but guessing there was plenty of rolling because not everyone wants to travel to BFE for a race. (BFE means far)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was surprised that most didn't go past top 5.
2 female age groups did go to the "anybody want the spot" and there were quite a few woman running up to claim them.

M45-49 got a reallocated spot from 75+, and by then everybody had gone home, that that when un-claimed and was re-allocated again.
I could have had the spot at 64, but I can't afford the trip to NZ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if the race being in NZ over Thanksgiving would cause a lot of rolldown for the US races. However that doesn't seem to be the case. Almost all the slots were taken with very little rolldown (top 8 or so were taking them). Yes there was some roll, but not nearly as much as I would have expected. Only a couple of AGs ended up with the "who wants it" call, and even those still got taken by someone in the top 15ish.
Quote Reply
Re: so....how far did the slots roll at AC70.3? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
I was wondering if the race being in NZ over Thanksgiving would cause a lot of rolldown for the US races. However that doesn't seem to be the case. Almost all the slots were taken with very little rolldown (top 8 or so were taking them). Yes there was some roll, but not nearly as much as I would have expected. Only a couple of AGs ended up with the "who wants it" call, and even those still got taken by someone in the top 15ish.

Surprising for an east coast race, I wonder if perhaps we are still in the spot where the faster US racers who did Nice are resting/closed for the season and right now are those who just wanted to go to NZ instead of Nice? I imagine that will die down rather quickly. I hope someone can record and share roll downs from NC and Indian Wells. I imagine by April we will see the "who wants it" calls but so far it has been surprising.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: so....how far did the slots roll at AC70.3? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there some sort of running list available of who has claimed the spots?
Quote Reply
Re: so....how far did the slots roll at AC70.3? [kjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjtri wrote:
M45-49 got a reallocated spot from 75+, and by then everybody had gone home, that that when un-claimed and was re-allocated again.

I was the 8th place finisher in M35-39 and I took the final slot before the above mentioned reallocation went to the guy who took 9th place in the M35-39 age group. It was a unique situation to the other male age groups. The overall winner of the race was in our age group and didn't even show up for awards. I guess something came up and they couldn't make it. The next guy ran up and asked a question and then declined. Third place was Triathlon Taren and he told me he was passing on the slot to focus on Kona qualification because 70.3 doesn't scare him anymore. 4th place didn't show up to awards. 5th place took a slot. 6th didn't show up. 7th took a slot. I got lucky at 8th.

I was having a candid conversation with the guy that took 4th place overall in M40-44 and he was worried that he wouldn't get a slot to Worlds. Then they said there would only be 2 slots for his age group...then they said just kidding...there are 4 slots. So cruel!

Demand seemed pretty high for slots. I too was surprised by this. I can tell you that the same thing happened at Santa Cruz. My coach was 5th place M45-49 and he didn't get a slot to Worlds (Just simply nothing rolling down from what he said). He will be trying again at Indian Wells.

The women's side had more roll down, for sure. But not as much as would have been expected. Though, that could be compounded by the total lack of slots available to women. I believe there was only 1 or 2 slots per age group up and down the women field.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Sep 17, 19 9:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about AC, but I heard they rolled quite a bit at 70.3 Maine a couple of weeks ago. I won my AG there, but was back home in Massachusetts by the time they did awards. Since I wasn't taking a slot it seemed pretty foolish to wait around 4+ hours. I'd be willing to bet that next cycle, when slots are for 2021 in St. George, that most spots won't roll as far, at least in the North American races.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: so....how far did the slots roll at AC70.3? [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I think it would be great. Most people get xtra days off over TG so that helps. It’s expensive but the USD is strong there. You can find reasonable flights on Air NZ (and they are funny as hell). Shit I just think I talked myself into going!!

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: so....how far did the slots roll at AC70.3? [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After traveling to Nice not a chance I will travel to NZ! Thats a long expensive flight, but for those going should be quite the experience.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: so....how far did the slots roll at AC70.3? [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any one know how far the slots in the F35-39 rolled? Had a friend finish 10th -- she didn't stick around because figured she had no chance of picking up a slot. She was 9th at Williamsburg earlier this year and wasn't able to get a spot to Nice.
Quote Reply
Re: so....how far did the slots roll at AC70.3? [triagain15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If people want to go and you finished in the top 20 why would you not stick around? Then they get upset when they found out a the slots rolled.... never ceases to amaze me.

Quote Reply
Re: so....how far did the slots roll at AC70.3? [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who said anyone got upset...she could care less....She wanted the spot back in the spring for Nice. No desire to go to NZ... so don't let your panties get all bunched up! Since the original post asked...how far did the rolldown go....I, myself was interested to know if at 10th in AG would she have gotten a spot....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was just a general thought

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really understand everyone that goes: I have no interest in going to one of the most beautiful countries in the World.

New Zealand is an amazing place. I understand folks not wanting to go to South Africa, but not New Zealand.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: so....how far did the slots roll at AC70.3? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the demand seems to be higher for NZ spots thus far compared to Nice or SA. I think NZ offers an exotic location for the typical North’s American (compared to Nice) and it’s a less intimidating location to travel to than South Africa.

I know in my club in Michigan we have had a number of people gunning fo slots at various races. I dot recall anyone trying for Nice or SA, even though many people passed on spots.