Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zipp VukaShift AXS 90 Shift extensions Ask me anything
Quote | Reply
Hi Slowtwitch,

This is Nathan Schickel, I am the product manager for Zipp handlebar, stem and seatpost product. I hope you all are doing well and getting outside at least to ride your trainers in the sun. You will no doubt have seen Slowman's article on the front page(https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ift_AXS_90_7626.html). If you have any questions I am here to answer them.

First a few facts, these are sold as a shifting system. What that means is this has everything in the box to shift the derailleurs, including MultiClics, for brake lever position shifting.

The shifters are 390g and 410mm long.
The shifters feature our Evo shape with 90mm of rise. Why 90? When we looked at the distribution of sales, we see that more and more riders are adopting a high hands position, however without a tilt-able pad that makes really high hands difficult. We built these around using them in a system that allows tilt of the extensions and pads separately so you can get your hands where you need them and the pad contacting your arm as well.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Nathan Schickel
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp VukaShift AXS 90 Shift extensions Ask me anything [NateZipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate - thanks for opening this up!

Are there any plans to make these available for the 11sp eTap system? Or only available for AXS? I imagine I already know the answer... but there's a slew of 11sp eTap systems still being used!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp VukaShift AXS 90 Shift extensions Ask me anything [NateZipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i imagine you read thru my review of these on the front page. (up yesterday.) i really like the multiclics. and i really like where i put them. i believe i'm going to epoxy them on. that will be a cleaner install.

i must say, i concur with the other user who asked about 11sp. i know you're in charge of zipp, not AXS. but in this particular case i think there's a market not served by not having these shifters backward compatible for 11sp. that would strictly be an AXS solution, and the shifters are along for the ride.

if that was available, all shimano, and all SRAM, 11sp mechanical systems would be fair game for the easiest install. FD, RD, extensions. on any bike. completely wireless. a 30 minute process. $1,500.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp VukaShift AXS 90 Shift extensions Ask me anything [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i must say, i concur with the other user who asked about 11sp. i know you're in charge of zipp, not AXS. but in this particular case i think there's a market not served by not having these shifters backward compatible for 11sp. that would strictly be an AXS solution, and the shifters are along for the ride.

When these popped upon my Instagram feed I was ready to buy them - shut up and take my money.

Then I saw it was AXS only... so I'd need to buy a new RD, FD, crank (with powermeter), chain, cassette, and 2 Zipp freehubs (one for my disc and one for my 808 rear). No thanks.
Last edited by: c.mont.811: Apr 6, 20 7:40
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp VukaShift AXS 90 Shift extensions Ask me anything [c.mont.811] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
c.mont.811 wrote:
Slowman wrote:

When these popped upon my Instagram feed I was ready to buy them - shut up and take my money.

Then I saw it was AXS only... so I'd need to buy a new RD, FD, crank (with powermeter), chain, cassette, and 2 Zipp freehubs (one for my disc and one for my 808 rear). No thanks.

as i wrote in the review, this is a new bike solution. not an upgrade solution. so, you're right, if an upgrade is what you were looking for. at least currently.

what i will say is that the QR i put this kit on was an easy build because of the ease of cable routing, i.e., no cable routing. and, no blip or junction box. i still had to route hydraulic brake line, but, QR made that pretty easy. mind, what is certainly possible - because i built my bikes this way in the mid 1990s, is you push the hydraulic line in one end and it comes out the other. but that's another story.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp VukaShift AXS 90 Shift extensions Ask me anything [c.mont.811] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
c.mont.811 wrote:
Nate - thanks for opening this up!

Are there any plans to make these available for the 11sp eTap system? Or only available for AXS? I imagine I already know the answer... but there's a slew of 11sp eTap systems still being used!

Hi Thanks For the question. The answer no there are no plans. All AXS product is compatible with 12 speed AXS systems only. The AXS app and companion parts require a Bluetooth connection. The original eTap system is not bluetooth enabled and therefore not able to communicate with the app or other AXS components.

Best

Nathan Schickel
Last edited by: Slowman: Apr 7, 20 11:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those look awesome, super clean build on the PRSix2. As others have stated, no real interest in buying them since there is no 11spd compatibility

Any data or wind tunnel testing to say these are faster? Looks like there should be a decent wattage savings from cleaning up the front end.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp VukaShift AXS 90 Shift extensions Ask me anything [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a very nice looking product. The only negative that sticks out to me is the near-horizontal hand grip. It doesn't look comfortable for the wrist. There's a good reason most extensions are 25-50 degrees at the hand grip

indianacyclist wrote:
Any data or wind tunnel testing to say these are faster? Looks like there should be a decent wattage savings from cleaning up the front end.

What would it be compared to? Extensions, cable routing, box location, etc are all variable, so there is no single setup to compare it to. D2Z extensions with the box and cabling placed internally would probably test the same as this setup, while round extensions with the cables and box in the wind would be slower.
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Apr 6, 20 15:11
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp VukaShift AXS 90 Shift extensions Ask me anything [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 At the moment, no data. Primarily because the change in the entire system is within the margin of error of the tunnel. Thus making it hard to isolate and confirm.

best

Nathan
Last edited by: Slowman: Apr 7, 20 11:19
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp VukaShift AXS 90 Shift extensions Ask me anything [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
It's a very nice looking product. The only negative that sticks out to me is the near-horizontal hand grip. It doesn't look comfortable for the wrist. There's a good reason most extensions are 25-50 degrees at the hand grip.

The grip area is angled at 15° when the bottom of the extension is flat to the ground. That said we designed around a this being used in an extension tilted scenario from 5°-15°. This brings that grip area up without it becoming too uncomfortable.

Thanks for the question and keep them coming.

Nathan Schickel
Last edited by: Slowman: Apr 7, 20 11:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's the shape of the extension, with the brains pulled out, and you can see where the battery goes and the 2 ports, 1 of which is populated with the bar-end shifter, the other which can be populated with a multiclic.

here is that bar deployed on the bike i built over the weekend, with the whole system angled to my liking:

i used zipp's wedge that it makes for use under the armrest cradle in such case you fine that the extension sticks up too high relative to the plane of the armrest.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my EVO 110s and would love to try these out, but I also have etap 11sp. I would like to upgrade to axs, but as noted with the other user above, purchasing 3 new rear wheels (training, 808, and Super 9) and or replacing hubs along with the derailuers plus these awesome looking extensions is not a financially sound move for 1 more gear in the rear.

Make a version with the etap 11sp shifter internals and I'm sold.

Keep up the inovations! Love your products!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NateZipp wrote:

The grip area is angled at 15° when the bottom of the extension is flat to the ground. That said we designed around a this being used in an extension tilted scenario from 5°-15°. This brings that grip area up without it becoming too uncomfortable.

Thanks for the question and keep them coming.

Nathan Schickel

To create a greater angle at the wrist using the extension angle, wouldn't you have to keep the pad/forearm horizontal? Otherwise the 15 deg angle remains at the wrist. And I'm not sure if any bar setups allow you to tilt the extensions without tilting the pads
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp VukaShift AXS 90 Shift extensions Ask me anything [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
To create a greater angle at the wrist using the extension angle, wouldn't you have to keep the pad/forearm horizontal? Otherwise the 15 deg angle remains at the wrist. And I'm not sure if any bar setups allow you to tilt the extensions without tilting the pads

Actually both our Vuka Aero and Vuka Clip aero bars feature pad angle adjustment separate from the extension angle. You can alter the angle in increments of 5° up to 15°.

You could make the angle of the arm less or more than the angle of the extension depending on how you mount the wedges. I've attached a picture of the wedges installed on a Vuka Clip.

Nathan Schickel
Last edited by: Slowman: Apr 8, 20 12:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate - will this work with the Eagle AXS rear derailleur?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp VukaShift AXS 90 Shift extensions Ask me anything [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it is compatible with all AXS components.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NateZipp wrote:
Actually both our Vuka Aero and Vuka Clip aero bars feature pad angle adjustment separate from the extension angle. You can alter the angle in increments of 5° up to 15°.

You could make the angle of the arm less or more than the angle of the extension depending on how you mount the wedges. I've attached a picture of the wedges installed on a Vuka Clip.

Nathan Schickel

I see. If you angle the cups 5-15 degrees as shown, then the hand grip angle relative to forearm will go from 15 degrees to 0-10. My current bars have a grip angle of 30, and that already feels a bit tight on the wrist after a few hours. Certainly might work for some, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
NateZipp wrote:

Nathan Schickel

I see. If you angle the cups 5-15 degrees as shown, then the hand grip angle relative to forearm will go from 15 degrees to 0-10. My current bars have a grip angle of 30, and that already feels a bit tight on the wrist after a few hours. Certainly might work for some, though.

i don't know if this is apparent, but it's pretty much what i did. angle bars down, put the wedge in under the armrest cup, create a level bar.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp VukaShift AXS 90 Shift extensions Ask me anything [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that. It looks really slick. But it also looks uncomfortable for the wrist compared to 35-50 degree (relative to forearm) grip angles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you use it to put your forearms? like in the new drag2zero style poles?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp VukaShift AXS 90 Shift extensions Ask me anything [super_6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
super_6 wrote:
Can you use it to put your forearms? like in the new drag2zero style poles?

if you're talking about the new aerobar styles that allow you to lay your entire forearm in what amounts to an armrest pad that extends from your elbow to your wrist, no, this is not a sytem like that. can't really work like that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HI All,

This photo shows the arm position on the VukaShift AXS 90. The wrist is neutral and the forearms are close to the extension, but not touching.

Last edited by: NateZipp: Apr 17, 20 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a way to do an upgrade (from mechanical)without changing out the crank; but changing the chain ring? So then it would be FD RD chaing ring, chain and cassette. That’s not awful because 3/5 of the upgrade parts are consumables if you don’t count the bars/shifters.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp VukaShift AXS 90 Shift extensions Ask me anything [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m pretty sure you can do this with the Eagle AXS RD, Eagle 12s chain and Rotor 12s cassette. You would need to get a 11s 1x front chainring though.

I’m contemplating this myself. Would still end up being $1550 for just the electronics, then another $300 for the cassette, & $60 for chain.

Wish they were 110 rise though.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp VukaShift AXS 90 Shift extensions Ask me anything [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For someone who is looking to upgrade from mechanical to AXS 1x system w/ VukaShift, do I need to purchase blip box?
Quote Reply

Prev Next