Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
When did g-string togs/swim suits become the training swimsuit of choice for female swimmers?
Quote | Reply
I've noticed in some swim training videos on youtube that g-string togs seem to be pretty popular for wearing during training.

After being "confronted" by some today whilst swimming on my lunch break I wondered how long this had been a thing? Race suits are obviously way less revealing these days than the days when I swam (early to mid 90s) where the aim was to get togs virtually as tight and small as possible, but it seems that training suits have become much more 'revealing'.

When I swam it was also common to wear two pairs of old togs when they began to sag or got see-through. Is this still a thing, or does everyone use the non-sag materials for training togs like speedo endurance? I've swapped to speedo endurances and they're the only thing I wear for training now.

I've also noticed that in many training videos, the guys also appear to be wearing what used to be 'race day only' sized speedos.

Is this a common thing or are these people just showing off for the camera?
Quote Reply
Re: When did g-string togs/swim suits become the training swimsuit of choice for female swimmers? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While swimming at my local pool over the holidays a college female swimmer was visiting from Florida. She was wearing a University branded one piece thong practice suit. That is all I know.
Quote Reply
Re: When did g-string togs/swim suits become the training swimsuit of choice for female swimmers? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I lived in the south of France, we trained in an outdoor pool during the winter... I did not wear contacts in the pool, so my vision was limited. The first week I swam with the triathlon club, I kept wondering who was the guy at the end of our 4 person rotation, wearing a white thong. I finally realized it was a woman swimming topless. At the end of the session I looked around the pool and found that some women in the triathlon club and the master swim team trained topless to avoid tan lines. Ahhh, the French....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seen the local female collegiate teams wearing them in practice quite a bit, and some also in races.
Water Polo too.

For guys:
Don't see too many 'speedos' among Master swimmers, as those jammers pulled up to the belly button do help to distract from and conceal that 'fat-roll' (aka life-preserver) somewhat better.

Gotta show it if you have it.

Last edited by: windschatten: Feb 17, 21 19:42
Quote Reply
Re: When did g-string togs/swim suits become the training swimsuit of choice for female swimmers? [gentry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gentry wrote:
When I lived in the south of France, we trained in an outdoor pool during the winter... I did not wear contacts in the pool, so my vision was limited. The first week I swam with the triathlon club, I kept wondering who was the guy at the end of our 4 person rotation, wearing a white thong. I finally realized it was a woman swimming topless. At the end of the session I looked around the pool and found that some women in the triathlon club and the master swim team trained topless to avoid tan lines. Ahhh, the French....
Down here in Queensland it is super common for girls to wear thong bathers in training .There was one in the next lane to me this morning and she was speedy as well which was even more impressive. Most of them are doing it to work on their tan. Lots of guys in speedos including myself..

Back when I used to train at the Tobruk Pool in Cairns in the 90's it was even more common to see girls wear the tiniest of sports bikinis to train in and if you happened to be around when some of the backpackers were doing laps the boobs were out most of the time. I added a lot of impromptu laps to my sessions back then. It was common to see topless girls sunbathing on the large lawns of the pool enclosure.

That was the end of the 'Hippie" era in Far North Queensland as after the 90's the influx of uptight people moving from Melbourne and Sydney ended the naked open water swim days at the beach and the general public nudity.The guy who had the lease on the pool back then ,Peter Tibbs, lost a lot of business when the lagoon on the esplanade downtown was built, mainly the backpackers,so to combat it he introduced "Topless Tuesdays" where all the girls would get free entry if they were topless. Total media outrage ensued ! Hahaha..

I was actually having a conversation about this the other day with a local hippie chick at the pool and she,like me, wished people these days weren't so uptight about other peoples skin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either do your best to look away or find an excuse to move to the lane next to her. It’s your choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t know how it is comfortable to swim with a piece of floss btwn your cheeks but to each their own ...

Where I live, at swimming pools for training - speedo style swimsuits are the norm for the guys while the ladies wear one or two pieces. I have yet to see a lady pulling fast sets in a piece of floss.

But hey it is equal opportunity so if the ladies are wearing it so should the guys in the water polo team (or swim squad, or tri club etc) but seriously wouldn’t it get in the way like you’ve got to pull out a wedgie all the time.

On the beach is a different story. Floss is everywhere on the ladies. Unfortunately for the guys they’ll continue to have tan lines right under their cheeks or above their knees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Without pictures this thread sucks.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: When did g-string togs/swim suits become the training swimsuit of choice for female swimmers? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Don't see too many 'Speedos' among Master swimmers, as those jammers pulled up to the belly button do help to distract from and conceal that 'fat-roll' (aka life-preserver) somewhat better.

I believe the term around here is "BioPrene"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: When did g-string togs/swim suits become the training swimsuit of choice for female swimmers? [gentry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess the question is whether you took your contact lenses to the next swim...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Googling "G-string Women's Swimsuits NZ" did not disappoint. :)

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently had the same observation at my pool. Starting over the last few months, all of the women on the high school and collegiate teams at my pool seem to have gone that direction with their swimsuits.
Quote Reply
Re: When did g-string togs/swim suits become the training swimsuit of choice for female swimmers? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

Well at the risk of major outrage from the bitter and twisted,here are some of our surf Ironwomen at work this summer down in Oz..The Ski leg is as normal,the transition to Swim raises an eyebrow and even I was wondering "WTF" by the time they hit the Board leg.. Fernanda Keller would be proud.. :-)
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Feb 18, 21 10:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When pools used to be open.... I remember getting out of a Saturday morning masters as the local girls water polo club showed up for practice. I was a bit shocked at the high cut, very revealing *team* swimsuits the girls had on. And yeah, they were girls and probably 14-16 years old. I don't have kids so don't know what it's like but I imagine I'd have a few issues if my daughter's polo club selected such skimpy team suits.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Feb 18, 21 10:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like TYR cutoutfit styles

My swimsuit purchases work as follows:

1. Find polyester suits from TYR or Speedo
2. Choose cheapest bunch
3. Of those identified in #2, pick the one with the most open back - I will wear anything but prefer something cut below the bony prominences on either side of the sacrum. Those suits definitely aren't thong or g-string, as they show off just a little glute but there's definitely a little less tush coverage than the sort of wider strap suits where the cutout in the back is, like, a circle.
4. I also have a preference for thin straps over thick.

The only time I've videoed my swimming is for things like the cup-on-head trick, but I can shamelessly admit to liking more open suits for (a) the feel of water on skin and (b) showing off my very gorgeous body, in that order

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Feb 19, 21 7:14
Quote Reply
Re: When did g-string togs/swim suits become the training swimsuit of choice for female swimmers? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not your usual skinny endurance sports types.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mind them so much.
Quote Reply
Re: When did g-string togs/swim suits become the training swimsuit of choice for female swimmers? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They all look like they’re wearing the same suit so I’m wondering if they had a choice?

Saw “girls can’t surf” (highly rec!!) and some of the female surfers were given high cut swimmers to surf in and they hated it. I wonder what the feedback would be from the ladies in your vid?
Last edited by: snail: Feb 19, 21 16:45
Quote Reply
Re: When did g-string togs/swim suits become the training swimsuit of choice for female swimmers? [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snail wrote:
They all look like they’re wearing the same suit so I’m wondering if they had a choice?

Saw “girls can’t surf” (highly rec!!) and some of the female surfers were given high cut swimmers to surf in and they hated it. I wonder what the feedback would be from the ladies in your vid?

I watched the coverage last weekend on the tv and it looks like for the Nutrigrain Series and they were back in their usual swimsuits..I don't know if the Surf Lifesaving Australia got sponsored suits for the girls in their series but their suits are definitely different to the Nutrigrain ones.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
hblake wrote:

Well at the risk of major outrage from the bitter and twisted,here are some of our surf Ironwomen at work this summer down in Oz..The Ski leg is as normal,the transition to Swim raises an eyebrow and even I was wondering "WTF" by the time they hit the Board leg.. Fernanda Keller would be proud.. :-)
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Wow. I recall a couple of years ago a big stink in the Australian media about filming of pro female surfers who chose to wear skimpy bikini bottoms. The board leg in this video is on another level to that.

On yesterday's run I saw a couple of young ladies just back from a paddle, bending over, deflating and packing up their inflatable SUPs in gstrings. They were even more exposed than some of surf Ironwomen on their board leg. Times have certainly changed.
Quote Reply
Re: When did g-string togs/swim suits become the training swimsuit of choice for female swimmers? [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
On yesterday's run I saw a couple of young ladies just back from a paddle, bending over, deflating and packing up their inflatable SUPs in gstrings. They were even more exposed than some of surf Ironwomen on their board leg. Times have certainly changed.
Wife works at a supermarket and she says the number of ladies who come through on a sunday afternoon in nothing but very, very revealing g-string bikinis (and she says the micro bikinis are all the rage now) is pretty crazy
Im all for revealing swimwear if thats what you want to wear, but please, lets keep it at least somewhat tasteful.
Great on a beach or by the pool.
Not so much when you're bending over to grab something from the bottom shelf in a supermarket.
Maybe Im just getting old...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Team Wicked Weasel...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: When did g-string togs/swim suits become the training swimsuit of choice for female swimmers? [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew69 wrote:
TIT wrote:

Wife works at a supermarket and she says the number of ladies who come through on a sunday afternoon in nothing but very, very revealing g-string bikinis (and she says the micro bikinis are all the rage now) is pretty crazy
Im all for revealing swimwear if thats what you want to wear, but please, lets keep it at least somewhat tasteful.
Not so much when you're bending over to grab something from the bottom shelf in a supermarket.

Context is everything.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take the 'I don't care one way or the other' option.
Quote Reply
Re: When did g-string togs/swim suits become the training swimsuit of choice for female swimmers? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Andrew69 wrote:
TIT wrote:

Context is everything.

OMG I can't stop laughing :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next