Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Team USA - Money Grab?
Quote | Reply
I prob am a bit jaded but it seems like Team USA is such a money grab.

A buddy and I "qualified" to race Zofingen Long Course Duathlon. We had to pay $75 to race for Team USA, mandatory purchase a Team USA parade kit, mandatory purchase the Team USA race kit. Prob some other fees coming. I'm trying to understand what the benefit is racing for Team USA, esp after realizing I can just register for the race on my own without the hoopla.

Are there any benefits to racing for Team USA for these types of events?
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Money Grab? [qngo01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "draw" is that you are part of the cool kids club. And mind you I dont think this is an team USA ploy only. Pretty much all the federations require XYZ purchases for insert your WT world championship race. You actually get to participate in a athlete parade of nations, which depending on which championship event, can be pretty big and "kinda cool", especially when the event is full. LC Duathlon obviously may be a bit bland because well there aint a ton of participants (much more Euros for sure).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Money Grab? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Choose the "Open Men Age Group" drop-down selection instead of "World Triathlon Age Group"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still cheaper than doing any Ironman isn't it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you qualify somehow?

West the jersey proud! Super cool you get oppty to do that

Dunno anything about money grab :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The open race is generally a completely different race. It’s for people that didn’t qualify for the championship race. Also, if you don’t intend to attend the parade of nations, you don’t really “need” to buy the parade kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Money Grab? [gregarious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are still required to buy the parade kit even if you don't participate. How is the open race different than the championship race? I believe it's the same day for both, racing at the same time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
qngo01 wrote:
You are still required to buy the parade kit even if you don't participate. How is the open race different than the championship race? I believe it's the same day for both, racing at the same time

You only HAVE to buy the race kit if participating as part of Team USA and thankfully this year it's made by Zoot (not the garbage from last year). If you want to attend the parade, buy the parade kit but that really is optional. The open race is not a WC race and results will not be included in the WC results.

Add: No, I don't view it as a money grab but suspect it's a condition of their contract with Zoot (or current year's kit sponsor) to "require" the parade kit.
Last edited by: Xing triathlete: Jan 11, 23 4:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m pretty sure even though it’s the same “race” it’s not technically the same race. IE you’ll be on the “open” wave/race and while racing on same course you won’t show up in said results except under “open” wave.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They 100% are and they really don't do much for the growth of the sport.

E-DUB
Chief Janitor @Slowtwitch
Life is short. Dont be mad all the time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the Team USA thing for ITU Worlds in 2015 and thought it was a really great experience and worth whatever money I paid.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind 1 thing. This is money that is going back to YOUR federation, which can have an impact on you. This isn’t some private organization where you are padding a board room.

This directly goes back to a federation that has oversight and different directives that can improve the sport. It’s not as Iif they are doing this so Tim Yount’s pockets can be filled a little more.

NGB atleast has more check and balances than an “private” company.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Money Grab? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Still cheaper than doing any Ironman isn't it?

For aquathon worlds I remember 7 years ago or so, they wanted $600 (race gear / entry, etc). So what is it with inflation now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got to race for Team USA at olympic distance worlds in Abu Dhabi and it was one of greatest experiences of my tri life and I have been in sport since 1991. Whatever I paid, it was worth every penny. Team picture with so many amazing athletes, the parade of nations, Team USA uniform with my name on it that made me feel like a pro for a day, running on the blue carpet at the end that made me feel like a pro for 20 seconds, support we got from Team USA before and in Abu Dhabi, getting an American flag handed to me just before the finish, Taylor Knibb seeing me in my kit on way to start and wishing me luck, seeing all the athletes from other countries in their cool kits, watching the pro races before and after my own race... I could go on an on. It was awesome. I had to pinch myself several times because I could not believe I was there. And I don't care if this all sounds corny - it was great. Zofingen might be a bit different than my experience but that sure looks awfully cool as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Money Grab? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I’m pretty sure even though it’s the same “race” it’s not technically the same race. IE you’ll be on the “open” wave/race and while racing on same course you won’t show up in said results except under “open” wave.

Correct. I raced Zofingen for Team USA. The Open men's division started 2 mins behind the championship men's division and were scored in separate results. Zofingen is small compared to other worlds and there was no parade of nations at that venue. Maybe it's different than before.

USAT does a hard sell on the parade kits, but if they aren't having one then pass on that purchase. I like racing in the Team USA kit and it does give a modicum of legitimacy to the "parade" although the ones I've done are really just a glorified gaggle. But the parades in ITU/WT are high ceremony compared to the "wear whatever you want" parades at the IMWC and IM70.3 WC.

But to the overall point, yes it's a money grab by USAT which is desperate for revenue due to declining annual and one day memberships. The parade kit used to be FREE along w other goodies, and they didn't charge ridiculous prices for the race kit like they do now, not to mention the poor quality that has them giving you your choice between two kit manufacturers in 2023. It costs more than ever to be in a World Triathlon race with everyone (except Zofingen) wearing national colors, so in the end only the athlete can determine if the value proposition is worth the undeniable gouge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, a bit of a money grab, like all Ironman races and most non-independent/non-local races.

There is generally some interrelatedness between highly competitive races and expensive races. Either organizers know they can increase the prices because of the popularity of the event due to its competitiveness, or maybe a race needs the extras like a festival, banquets, parades, etc. to attract a large competitive field.

It's too bad we can't have large competitive races at reasonable prices, but it seems to be the reality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
qngo01 wrote:
I prob am a bit jaded but it seems like Team USA is such a money grab.

A buddy and I "qualified" to race Zofingen Long Course Duathlon. We had to pay $75 to race for Team USA, mandatory purchase a Team USA parade kit, mandatory purchase the Team USA race kit. Prob some other fees coming. I'm trying to understand what the benefit is racing for Team USA, esp after realizing I can just register for the race on my own without the hoopla.

Are there any benefits to racing for Team USA for these types of events?

I raced in several consecutive ITU Worlds from Chicago through Laussane... it's a good experience but some of the luster has worn off for me now. When I got into the sport it was a huge goal for me... qualify for Nats and then qualify for Worlds.

Initially it was $50 for that admin fee back in the day and that covered you for an entire event... now that is $75 and for EACH individual event you do. Back in the day if I did the Sprint and Oly.. $50. Now they've split that race into two separate sites as of late but I won't run too far down that rabbit hole.

They say the parade kit is mandatory but it's not really. I have so much TeamUSA stuff already and as of late it looks terrible. Plus after having done a few parade of nations, I prefer prerace to only do what I have to and save my legs. If you do it all you might wear yourself out or that's my experience. If you did several events at Multisport Worlds it would be $75 x 'whatever number of events you qualified for'...

In general they charge the admin fee up front... $75, then you get to buy the kit and then pay the race entry fee. The most expensive Oly/Sprint I've signed up for have been ITU Worlds by far... like double or triple. There also appears to be some kick back on kit pricing with vendors... those Zone3 entry level kits for $300?

At this point I'm satisfied with doing Nationals and passing on my slot... I can sign up for races all over the world and wear what I want to on my own. I've checked my TeamUSA box.

If this is something you'd like to do, I say go for it... but I summarized my first year on TeamUSA as the $1K club(admin fee/kit/race entry) for that honor. Then you've got the usual bike transport, travel, etc. In my first Worlds at Chicago the Parade Kit was also included with the race entry and it was relatively nice... khaki shorts and white shirt. I saw the parade kit in person at Nationals this past year and the long sleeved top was dark Navy and Burgundy... terrible. I digress things appear to going downhill, Zone3 was terrible and the parade kits.

Is it a grab... maybe the admin fee to some extent although its quite small and the kick back on the kit if that's really going on.
Last edited by: xeon: Jan 11, 23 11:51
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Money Grab? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
This directly goes back to a federation that has oversight and different directives that can improve the sport.
I 100% agree with your message here. I just fear NGBs are often so mismanaged that all the good intent to grow the sport is better accomplished by private entities. (See: ironman, Wahoo, Zwift, CrossFit)

The incentives to grow the sport and be rewarded for doing so, just aren't there. Result: beauraucracy that harms athletes.

Context: I've been a part of USATF, USABS, USA Triathlon, USA Weightlifting. All have operated similarly. That is: politically, slowly, inefficiently, and sometimes unfairly, all of which I've seen stifle talent within them, and create revolving doors for employment with usually the smartest talent leaving the soonest. I'm sure there are exceptions, and I hope there are many.

To OP: I'd still wear the Team USA gear. It'll benefit you in the long run, whether you love the 'represent your country' mission/idea or not. I was on Team USA as a Bobsledder, and loved the idea that I represented cheering Americans back home, even if it was just my mom. :)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this correct info I have or not?

Cost of the trinsuit at Zoot is the same price they charge for any of their race suits?

Side not
Maybe just copy Ben Kanutes race suit for team USA

I always thought his kit looks really cool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was qualified for a World LC Championship one year.
Triathlon Canada wanted something like $600+ in uniform and fees.
I said fuck it and raced open.

I didn't get to do a parade or participate in awards, but for that kind of money I'd rather just enter an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its the same for most countries. The parade kit is a rip IMO

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Money Grab? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Is this correct info I have or not?

Cost of the trinsuit at Zoot is the same price they charge for any of their race suits?

Side not
Maybe just copy Ben Kanutes race suit for team USA

I always thought his kit looks really cool

You have to use one of the approved suits. If it's not one of the two approved suits they will not let you race.

In 2013 when TriSports dropped the ball on getting suits for Belfort in June I tried to get permission to use a similar suit and was denied. Fortunately they got my suit to me 1 day before I left for France.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Money Grab? [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon wrote:
I just got to race for Team USA at olympic distance worlds in Abu Dhabi and it was one of greatest experiences of my tri life and I have been in sport since 1991. Whatever I paid, it was worth every penny. Team picture with so many amazing athletes, the parade of nations, Team USA uniform with my name on it that made me feel like a pro for a day, running on the blue carpet at the end that made me feel like a pro for 20 seconds, support we got from Team USA before and in Abu Dhabi, getting an American flag handed to me just before the finish, Taylor Knibb seeing me in my kit on way to start and wishing me luck, seeing all the athletes from other countries in their cool kits, watching the pro races before and after my own race... I could go on an on. It was awesome. I had to pinch myself several times because I could not believe I was there. And I don't care if this all sounds corny - it was great. Zofingen might be a bit different than my experience but that sure looks awfully cool as well.

My 1st Team USA experience (Targu Mures, ROM) is exactly the same. Yes, the requirement to buy a parade uniform and the Team USA kit is a little spendy, but my airline ticket to ROM and lodging and food and...really, the kit and parade stuff is not such a big cost relative to everything else. My own short note - I'm running along the main boulevard in TM on the 1st leg of the duathlon. First, lots of cheers for 'go Team USA' when I run past spectators - and there were a lot of spectators. That's neat. Then, 'go Giorgio'...and I'm thinking 'how do they know my name?'. Well, duh, my name is in big letters right across my chest and butt. Pretty awesome. Then, on the bike, there was a hill that was not long, but steep enough for everyone to slow considerably. They had pulled all the parked cars from both sides of that hill and allowed the restaurants and bars to put tables where the cars would park - pretty close to the barriers. Also very cool to ride through that and all the cheering.

The team USA experience was also great - met new friends and connected with some I knew from Nationals. And don't forget the athletes from other countries - great to see some of Team GB at a sidewalk cafe and just pop in, have a beer and chat.

Yes, you can race for less $, but the Team USA / Worlds experience is worth the cost.
Quote Reply
Re: Team USA - Money Grab? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those saying it's worth it, question yourself if it is a world championship if only those who can afford it can go. On that note, which sport has the cheapest national/ world championship any armature can qualify for? Spartan?
Quote Reply

Prev Next