Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars
Quote | Reply
Hello,
I am looking to buy an AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG, but when I check on all airlines, the requirement for packing a bag is to fix the handlebars sideways. Doesn’t that deceit the purpose of that bag vs the road bike version ?
Anybody here flew with the TT version in the past ? If so, what airline companies and any problems at all packing the bag with aerobars in place?
Thanks a lot
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [Andregirard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flown four times with the bag including multiple tops and plane changes with no issues. Coming home from St George this fall though my handle bars were turned 90 degrees, not down but to the side. Must have tossed something on top or my bag landed hard on the side. Nothing broken though.
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [Jayjuno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. If you wanted to remove and fold/fix on the side the aerobars, you would have plenty of room to do so though with the TT version, correct ?
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [Andregirard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same bag, flew 4 times with it. Packed as intended. No issues with airlines, they seem to know it’s a bike and you are on your way.

With my Felt IA, I slid the aero bars back a bit to allow more frontal room.

With my P5D one bolt removes cockpit only leaving the base bar so I put the cockpit in my back pack.

On the return from StG my right side brake/shifter was moved slightly, no damage, loosened and retighten.

I know some have had problems, but it is easy to pack and use.
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright, thanks a lot!! Yes I think I will go with the TT version and move the aerobars a bit back just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To clarify, I have the tri version bag.

Also, I went to my local foam place and bought 1.25 inch foam discs the same size as my wheels with the tire on them in diameter. 4 of them. Just added protection. Also use foam around the frame.

It’s so lights the extra foam is a nonissue.

Always removed the RD also. One bolt since DI2 and I have the aero OSPW so $$$ if damaged.
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes! I plan to remove the RD, Di2 as well. Maybe the chain too. Is there a risk the chain drops from the crank ? I have a Ventum One and dropping the chain means removing the crank to fix the chain… do you keep the chain? Big ring of small one ? thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get a chainkeeper to stop the chain from bouncing around

On the bar front - strongly recommend not using a soft-sided bag with the basebars left on - you run the risk of unrecognised micro fractures in the basebar that can show up at inconvenient times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WARNING - do not use that bag! I have represented pros sponsored by them who do not use that bag. You do not want to show up at a race with broken bars.
PS - See disclaimer below

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
WARNING - do not use that bag! I have represented pros sponsored by them who do not use that bag. You do not want to show up at a race with broken bars.
I agree. I am sure many people have done many safe trips but I've seen two pro's arrive to races one in Malaysia with snapped bars and have had a few acquaintances have the same issue.
I am currently using this bag and seems the safest soft bag I can find offering the bars protection but not a full hard case.
ROAD BIKE BAG PRO | Black | 300 l | 100409100 (evocsports.com)
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
david wrote:

I agree. I am sure many people have done many safe trips but I've seen two pro's arrive to races one in Malaysia with snapped bars and have had a few acquaintances have the same issue.
I am currently using this bag and seems the safest soft bag I can find offering the bars protection but not a full hard case.

Well, I disagree. Stand at the airport at Kona. 50% of the bags are the Scicon. There is a reason for that. I have traveled extensively with mine and all the pros I know use this bag as well. Is a hard case better protection? Yes, but with an XL frame I wouldn't use anything else.

There are sure to be anecdotal stories out there due to the sheer number of bags they have in circulation, but I have bought two of these and would not hesitate to buy another if my current bag ever wears out.
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Mar 20, 23 22:05
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I said there are plenty of these bags out there and have done plenty of trips but I have seen first hand snapped bars. If I am flying to an obscure location several days before a race I am not wanting to have to deal with snapped handlebars to make the start line. The bags offer no handlebar protection and have you seen baggage handling throw your bags around? I am just pointing out there are better and safer options out there. I can guarantee pro Mareen Hufe dealt with this at IM Malaysia days before the race and lucky she was a pro and people sorted for her. As an AG in a foreign country I have no doubt the $1000 entry + airfares + hotel would have gone to waist plus the cost to repair my bars on return. Each to their own but I wouldn't buy one.

Winning Ironman Malaysia - Mareen Hufe
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
david wrote:

Just out of interest, how did you decide on this one, as opposed to the Bikebox Alan, or the Premier case?
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just on the looks and reviews. Easy to mount your bike on the frame and soft bag with hard protection around the bars packs down to smaller storage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always take off my extensions, and its best if your brake levers are a bit loose so they twist when they get hit. but i like it, easy to pack, and light.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Nice 2019 the damaged bikes were mostly the soft cases although it's a few of thousands... , I'm sure some cockpits are a nightmare to take off but most or the after market ones like tririg alpha are just a few screws same as RD pedals or seatpost all of which have to come out too usually.

Seeing how they might lose control of the case or opening and checking then reshutting it wrong I found the B&W case rigid quite OK not too heavy. But most ppl I know with soft cases seem fine so ymmv.

This is my nightmare rigid case would survive this I think but soft case probably not

https://www.b-w-international.com/...-w-bike.box-2.0?c=38
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greatzaa wrote:

Well, I disagree. Stand at the airport at Kona. 50% of the bags are the Scicon. There is a reason for that. I have traveled extensively with mine and all the pros I know use this bag as well. Is a hard case better protection? Yes, but with an XL frame I wouldn't use anything else.

There are sure to be anecdotal stories out there due to the sheer number of bags they have in circulation, but I have bought two of these and would not hesitate to buy another if my current bag ever wears out.

I agree, at least 50% of bags in Kona last year were Scicon soft bags. At the airport they were literally everywhere. I do wonder if more issues appear with that bag in forums simply because it's the most popular.

Hardcase obviously offer more protection but they may require more disassembly and/or weigh more and take more space. The bike box Alan is the only one I know of that is a hard case specific for triathlon bikes and doesn't require major disassembly if you want to go that route. It's more expensive and much bigger. And doesn't fold up when you don't use it.

I personally use the Scicon, add extra foam, take the rear derailleur off. Try not to pack too much extra stuff. A heavier bag is more difficult to handle. The thing you want to be sure is that the bike is securely connected to the hard frame at the bottom. If it does detach, it will cause issues. I try not to have things that might cause additional checks (such as co2) even if the airline allows.
Also, I try not to have bottles in the bottle cages.
Haven't had an issue until now 🤞.
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Mar 22, 23 7:16
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcoviappiani wrote:

Hardcase obviously offer more protection but they may require more disassembly and/or weigh more and take more space. The bike box Alan is the only one I know of that is a hard case specific for triathlon bikes and doesn't require major disassembly if you want to go that route. It's more expensive and much bigger.

Premier Tactical case also a tri specific hard case.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
marcoviappiani wrote:

Hardcase obviously offer more protection but they may require more disassembly and/or weigh more and take more space. The bike box Alan is the only one I know of that is a hard case specific for triathlon bikes and doesn't require major disassembly if you want to go that route. It's more expensive and much bigger.

Premier Tactical case also a tri specific hard case.

I just shipped my bike somewhere with the Premier Tactical case (for a premier tactical bike.)

You likely will have to remove the aerobar extensions to fit it in the case, but once you do, the basebar stays straight in the case.

(I'm small and cut my extensions super short, so I didn't have to remove my aerobars, but nearly anyone else will likely have to remove them - mine barely fit.)
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll also add, as the owner of a hard case -

The plastic outer shell in my hard case is pretty thin. I think it has to be so that case + bike comes in close to the 50 pound mark. It's thin enough that I doubt it provides a lot more protection than a padded soft case. It's certainly not strong enough that if you threw a 50 pound piece of luggage at the sidewall, that the hard casewall would fully protect your bike - it'll definitely deform, probably similarly to the soft case.

So don't expect these bike hard cases to be some rugged bulletproof, undeformable rigid case that you could sit on the sidewall no problem. It would make the case too heavy for sure. It's definitely way thinner than the outer shell on my check on luggage, which is sturdy enough you can sit down on the sidewall with no worries.
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many suitcases are thicker because they are made of ABS.

Our cases are made of ABS PC whic is much stronger and more impact resistant.

PC-ABS does not have the weaknesses of ABS, mainly the heat intolerance. It is also generally stronger and easier to machine than ABS and provides higher impact resistance.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
Many suitcases are thicker because they are made of ABS.

Our cases are made of ABS PC whic is much stronger and more impact resistant.

PC-ABS does not have the weaknesses of ABS, mainly the heat intolerance. It is also generally stronger and easier to machine than ABS and provides higher impact resistance.

It's a great case - even better if you're small like me and don't have to take off the aerobars!
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on the Evoc Road Bike Pro (Hybrid case)?
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the dimension difference between your box and BB EasyFit or BBA?
Quote Reply
Re: Scicon AEROCOMFORT 3.0 TRIATHLON BIKE TRAVEL BAG - aerobars [CrazyR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our case is 31 x 18 x 42. 18 in the handle bar end so you don’t need to remove the basebar.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next