Felt IA CalPac to Shiv Fuelselage Customization

So the Calpak on the IAx is the new improved Calpak?! Wow, the original must be a real POS

This is awesome, I will be ordering one to try out. I agree with Sweeney and others that a deeper, usable Calpak like Carfrae’s or just a flat panel with bosses to mount an external bento would be awesome additions. I’m basically using the Calpak as the Di2 Junction A holder, with a spare tube tucked in, but cant really fit anything else.

How about just a sleek flat matching cover with the screw holes to put on the frame when not using the bladder.
A simple flat plate to replace the Calpac would also allow use of a standard bento box especially if provided with standard bottle mount spaced mounting points. Am I correct in thinking the original IA and the IAx frames have slightly different Calpacs and perhaps have a different footprint and screw locations? If you did that in an IAx compatible version I’d get two!
So basically you guys are after something that looks like the small version of my mod, but without the Fuelselage cutout?This is a piece of cake to make, I might be able to do it tonight or tomorrow. I believe the Calpac are the same from the 2014 models onward, at least that’s what this website suggests. Visually the rubber cover looks the same on all pictures I can find of the IA10, A16 etc.

I must say I really like the bento box idea too! I haven’t put much research into this, but Trek and Cervelo bikes have these mounting holes, am I right? I just need to figure out the spacing needed from the rear of the stem, any feedback is appreciated.

Has anyone ordered one from him yet? I would be really interested, just want to make sure its legit!

So basically you guys are after something that looks like the small version of my mod, but without the Fuelselage cutout?

Yes exactly.

I must say I really like the bento box idea too! I haven’t put much research into this, but Trek and Cervelo bikes have these mounting holes, am I right? I just need to figure out the spacing needed from the rear of the stem, any feedback is appreciated.

Rather than having exact water bottle hole spacing you could make 2cm slots for each hole that would allow custom positioning of whatever gets attached to the plate, like how a lot of water bottle cages are currently (xlab Gorilla comes to mind as I have one) that have a channel for the attachment screw. This way 95-99%% of the bento boxes and bags could be used and positioned for optimal spacing snug against the stem.

How about just a sleek flat matching cover with the screw holes to put on the frame when not using the bladder.
A simple flat plate to replace the Calpac would also allow use of a standard bento box especially if provided with standard bottle mount spaced mounting points. Am I correct in thinking the original IA and the IAx frames have slightly different Calpacs and perhaps have a different footprint and screw locations? If you did that in an IAx compatible version I’d get two!
So basically you guys are after something that looks like the small version of my mod, but without the Fuelselage cutout?This is a piece of cake to make, I might be able to do it tonight or tomorrow. I believe the Calpac are the same from the 2014 models onward, at least that’s what this website suggests. Visually the rubber cover looks the same on all pictures I can find of the IA10, A16 etc.

There’s two ways you could go about this.

Figure out a good longitudinal position for the holes that should suit everyoneJust do a flat plate and everyone can drill holes wherever they want them, or use it as a simple blanking plate or the basis of any other innovations that come to mind - for example I’d consider putting a gel dispenser there (drill the plate for a gland fitting to pass a straw through from a small bladder or bottle beneath) or build a salt dispenser or somewhere to stick course notes. There’s loads of possibilities.You could perhaps provide a thicker strip down the middle to allow sufficient depth to tap a hole (if the material is stiff enough) or just to provide a bit of rigidity.

Has anyone ordered one from him yet? I would be really interested, just want to make sure its legit!

He’s selling it through a 3rd party e-retailer (shapeways). I haven’t ordered one, but generally these companies make sure you get what you pay for.

As mentioned above, Shapeways is basically the ‘middle man’ here, which is a reputable company in my opinion. Technically you would be their customer, and not directly mine. They have requirements per material choice with which models have to comply before I can make them available for selling. If anything goes wrong with production, they will take care of it and make sure you get a part in good order. That’s as far as legitimacy goes.

So far 3 people have ordered the small version I have available now, but I haven’t had feedback from them yet. Also I don’t know if there’s any Slowtwitchers among them. I understand your caution though, you are right to be cautious. I don’t run a business here and there’s limited R&D involved (just myself and my own Felt IA3), and I can’t make guarantees. But hopefully people are willing to take a chance and like what I’ve come up with :slight_smile:

I ordered and promptly received one. Very nice. Simple. I’ll put one on an IA10 next week and post pictures.

Okay awesome! It will fit on any size ia right?

I ordered one last week and should arrive next week. Looking forward to trying.

Okay awesome! It will fit on any size ia right?
This is where I can’t make guarantees, but it should fit all IA frames. Felt makes only 1 version of the Calpac, and therefore the panels should fit to all 2014+ IA frames. The main thing I cannot verify is how well the Fuelselage will sit inside the down tube with respect to the cover. Again, I think it will fit fine on all frames, but I just haven’t been able to verify it.

Note that on Shapeways the part is also in beta, with a notification that I have only tested in on a size 54cm.

I’ve got the new version available for order on Shapeways. I took it for a 100k ride today and it worked as I had hoped. This version is twice the cost of the smaller one, this is due to increased material volume and machine space required.

I did make some minor improvements to the design to add some stiffness locally, so the part will show up as “First to print” on Shapeways.

I’ll make a flat cover tomorrow, for those who wish to pursue the bento box mod or whatever other reason. If you’re interested in both, then wait until tomorrow to save some $ on shipping :slight_smile:

625x465_14477269_8737989_1464303366.jpg

There’s two ways you could go about this.
Figure out a good longitudinal position for the holes that should suit everyoneJust do a flat plate and everyone can drill holes wherever they want them, or use it as a simple blanking plate or the basis of any other innovations that come to mind - for example I’d consider putting a gel dispenser there (drill the plate for a gland fitting to pass a straw through from a small bladder or bottle beneath) or build a salt dispenser or somewhere to stick course notes. There’s loads of possibilities.You could perhaps provide a thicker strip down the middle to allow sufficient depth to tap a hole (if the material is stiff enough) or just to provide a bit of rigidity.

Here’s a go based on your suggestions. I’ve added a thicker strip, and I’d like to hear your thoughts on its dimensions. Currently its about 15mm wide, and 3mm thick (2mm for the entire plate, +1mm added thickness). I think these dimensions suit your ideas well, but I’m open to feedback. Keep in mind that more material means higher cost.

Schermafbeelding 2016-05-27 om 09.46.05.png

That’s pretty much what I had in mind. I assume the spine is on the underside and doesn’t collide with anything that would prevent the plate from sitting flat?
Not being familiar with the material I don’t know if the thickness is sufficient or excessive but it seems like the right ballpark.

What size bladder will I need for a size 56 IA16?

Can you offer a package price for ordering both the Fuelselage adapter and the flat panel?

That’s pretty much what I had in mind. I assume the spine is on the underside and doesn’t collide with anything that would prevent the plate from sitting flat?
Not being familiar with the material I don’t know if the thickness is sufficient or excessive but it seems like the right ballpark.
Yep, spine is on the underside, so won’t show when mounted. I’ve also taken care it won’t collide with anything. The thickness seems right to me, I have the small Fuelselage panel as a reference, which is 2mm thick. It does flex over the entire length, but it is quite stiff already, so the spine will make it a little stiffer to be sure. I won’t be drilling into the panel I have, but I think the 3mm will be fine.

I’ll put the product in beta mode on Shapeways and I’d like to hear if it works as expected. I won’t be ordering one myself immediately, I’ll keep an eye out for a bento box I might want to try out some time. Keep in mind that the IA frame is no longer flat further from the stem, this may limit your options of bento boxes, especially if you’re planning to mount a rigid one:

IMG_6538.jpg

What size bladder will I need for a size 56 IA16?

Can you offer a package price for ordering both the Fuelselage adapter and the flat panel?
Bladder size only depends on which panel you get, assuming the frame shapes are very similar at the front (this is what I’m trying to figure out in beta). With the larger panel, get a M/L/XL Fuelselage, fits quite well in my size 54 IA3, should work with yours.

I’ve had a look, but Shapeways doesn’t let me do stuff like package pricing. I make a relatively small markup on these things, so there isn’t much room for me to do anything significant anyway. You may be able to find Shapeways coupons for $10 off or free shipping on first orders though, try a search.

These are great! Thanks so much for putting this together. I see the flat cover for order in beta, but the large Calpac fueselage cover is showing not for sale?

I was working out the last details of the updates I made, it’s available now.

Also I have been getting a few questions with regards to which panel people should order, so in order to clear things up I made a little drawing:

So basically you choose the panel by which size Fuelselage you have or are planning to buy, how much money to spend, and possibly aesthetics. The larger one is twice as expensive due to the additional material that needs to be 3D printed. Also to reiterate, as explained on the Shapeways page, both bladder sizes will only fill up to about 50% capacity since the Felt frame is narrower.

In terms of the beta state, the above situation is what I’ve found on my size 54cm Felt IA3. I don’t know how the shape of the frame varies with size, so it’s difficult for me to predict how well the bladders will sit with different frame sizes. Hence the call for feedback when people find out :slight_smile:

Explanation.png