Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift: price increase on the horizon? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Ham Sandwich wrote:
Freeheeler wrote:
How does Rouvy compare with zwift?

I got the zwift trainer mainly for my son who is 11 and he uses it to practice on as I am working away from home most of the time for 8more months. Where we live is hilly and cars go way to fast to let him out on his own. He enjoys zwift but it’s mostly just to see how far he goes and his time. Nonspecific details are actually needed

Rouvy for me was the most dull and boring indoor riding experience imaginable. It was just too…. stagnant? I’m not even sure the right way to describe it. I hated it. This was a few years ago so maybe so no idea what it’s like now.

Next winter I’ll happily pay whatever the Zwift increase is to not use Rouvy.

cartoon graphics of zwift is the most dull and boring indoor riding experience imaginable. rouvy has video routes of real courses, and the numbers are more realistic (for instance i see 2w/kg riders on zwift averaging 45+km/hr for some rides???). zwift has more critical mass of riders for the racing experience. you can easily find a 2 week trial

It’s the opposite for me, and I don’t even play video games. I’d rather a fully animated experience with all sorts of crap moving along the screen and stuff. Easier for me to sit through that than watching some crappy overlay for hours ride through google maps or whatever they use.

I can understand the speed complaints but I never use zwift as a way to track speed. I just personally use it to track power, time in the saddle, and an extra motivation to get some sprints and time myself on segments I often repeat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Ham Sandwich wrote:
Freeheeler wrote:
How does Rouvy compare with zwift?

I got the zwift trainer mainly for my son who is 11 and he uses it to practice on as I am working away from home most of the time for 8more months. Where we live is hilly and cars go way to fast to let him out on his own. He enjoys zwift but it’s mostly just to see how far he goes and his time. Nonspecific details are actually needed

Rouvy for me was the most dull and boring indoor riding experience imaginable. It was just too…. stagnant? I’m not even sure the right way to describe it. I hated it. This was a few years ago so maybe so no idea what it’s like now.

Next winter I’ll happily pay whatever the Zwift increase is to not use Rouvy.

cartoon graphics of zwift is the most dull and boring indoor riding experience imaginable. rouvy has video routes of real courses, and the numbers are more realistic (for instance i see 2w/kg riders on zwift averaging 45+km/hr for some rides???). zwift has more critical mass of riders for the racing experience. you can easily find a 2 week trial

If you're finding zwift boring, you're def doing it wrong.

Some folks are stuck with the old thinking of 'indoor riding = solo only" so they think of Trainerroad for structured workouts, or Rouvy for solo routes. Both are fine, but neither will push you as hard nor will you have as much fun in the case as the real-time action of a Zwift race or hard-pushing group ride.

As a triathlete, I find that I pretty much never push as hard even outdoors as I do compared to a hammerfest Zwift ride or race, where after a few minutes you're with a group with your ability or slightly higher, and then you spend the rest of the route trying to kill/drop each other at opportune moments, whilst still not trying to get caught out solo where the faster-moving rear pelotons may catch you.

Only on Zwift can I do a 2hr30min workout like I did last Sunday where I didn't have a dull moment to even readjust my fan angle - I launched a solo attack on the last groupette that I had to hold on for 20 minutes, which was really, really hard, and something I'd NEVER do without the other riders to compete with. (We were competing for like 30th place too, not even close to even the category podium LOL)

I'm usually riding so hard on Zwift that I can't even pay attention to the graphics. Seriously, I've thought quite often that someone could do 'Pixel Zwift' that would be probably just as fun and exciting, using just dots to represent us racers, and having the zwift-like list of who's ahead and who's behind on the side. I often think Zwift's graphics are only meant to fool new users into discovering that they don't need graphics at all once they start racing.
Last edited by: lightheir: May 7, 24 14:42
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift: price increase on the horizon? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to last.

Is it possible to put your Zwift subscription on hold for the warmer months when riding outside, and then reactivate just for the winter when indoors? Or does that reset your entire subscription and you go back to Level 1, losing all your achievements etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift: price increase on the horizon? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lap is probably THE MOST asked for feature. But whatever ZWIFT

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift: price increase on the horizon? [Crocwrestler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crocwrestler wrote:
Replying to last.

Is it possible to put your Zwift subscription on hold for the warmer months when riding outside, and then reactivate just for the winter when indoors? Or does that reset your entire subscription and you go back to Level 1, losing all your achievements etc.

Yes, there is a pause feature.

And when you either pause or cancel, you do not lose your "progress." When you unpause or re-subscribe you get all your "drops"/points, and garage equipment back.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift: price increase on the horizon? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canceled today.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift: price increase on the horizon? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Canceled today.

Me too, but not rage cancelling. My term apparently expires in June 2025 (due to getting a free year from Zwift having purchased Wahoo's system, and another free chunk of time for some reason I forget), and I never trust any company to give me fair warning my credit card is going to be hit again.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift: price increase on the horizon? [Ham Sandwich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ham Sandwich wrote:

It’s the opposite for me, and I don’t even play video games. I’d rather a fully animated experience with all sorts of crap moving along the screen and stuff. Easier for me to sit through that than watching some crappy overlay for hours ride through google maps or whatever they use.

I can understand the speed complaints but I never use zwift as a way to track speed. I just personally use it to track power, time in the saddle, and an extra motivation to get some sprints and time myself on segments I often repeat.

google maps overlay? sounds like you did it wrong. usually their best routes have a car or motorcycle video recording the entire real life courses for you. now.... there are deathly boring courses in real life, so for stimulation I choose courses that are actual races with people (NYC triathlon) or some city route.... so I dont look at only the numbers I am trying to hit
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift: price increase on the horizon? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. Sometimes though it’s great to just ride with the robo pacer while watching something else. While not thrilled with the price increase, zwift isn’t something I’m ready to give up. I have the Tron bike, completed all the Tour de Zwift stages, have done all the Zwift Academy events, numerous training plans, and currently doing the Spring workouts. I’ve previously subscribed to Rouvy and full gas, had the Spinervals cds, and even had the Sufferfest videos back in the day, but Zwift tops them all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
cartoon graphics of zwift is the most dull and boring indoor riding experience imaginable.

I don't mind the graphics, and since I'm using AppleTV I'm not even getting the best possible limited graphics. And the routes I end up riding most are the most unrealistic (volcano, Titans Grove, etc)...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift: price increase on the horizon? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm similar. Mine doesn't renew until the end of September, which is when I'd start wanting it again anyway. It's taken me several winters to realize that Zwift increase my already low desire to ride inside when I compare winters with Zwift and those without.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just don't use it enough to get any value from it.

If I can't ride outside I have an indoor velodrome to ride in for nearly the same money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find Zwift boring only because I find cycling indoors boring. Staying in one place is boring. It just is . . . for me, anyway. But Zwift has been incredible for my (still pretty pathetic) cycling fitness. There are a lot of things higher on my cancellation list. There are a lot of things I wish they would improve:

1.) More realistic, high quality graphics for the worlds.
2.) I wish people didn't cheat on weight. As a master's female who's not a great cyclist, it leaves me struggling to find rides I can actually keep up on.
3.) Better and configurable display. I should be able to choose which metrics I want to see and where they show up on my screen. Also, could they at least tell me how much elevation gain I've got left?

Unlike previous posters, I appreciate new worlds and routes. The more the merrier for me - helps pass the time a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Ham Sandwich wrote:

google maps overlay? sounds like you did it wrong. usually their best routes have a car or motorcycle video recording the entire real life courses for you. now.... there are deathly boring courses in real life, so for stimulation I choose courses that are actual races with people (NYC triathlon) or some city route.... so I dont look at only the numbers I am trying to hit

So to enjoy Rouvy you have to ignore most of the routes? Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift: price increase on the horizon? [ohanapecosh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call me a simpleton, but the free Tacx app can program workouts and give you a nice little graph of what power outputs are coming and for how long. And Erg mode those outputs too!

There's plenty going on with your body to keep you engaged.

IM/70.3/Oly pace - How does this feel? how will this feel on race day? Am I comfortable? How are my legs? Is my position tight?
Threshold/LT2 - You know if I really concentrate on relaxing I bet I can get my HR a beat lower
VO2 - It's not that hard. No I promise, it feels really hard right now, but you have 4 min left so it can't be that hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift: price increase on the horizon? [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The online training/racing situation is pretty complex. I'm confident that leaders are carefully calculating pricing. My n=1 take... I used Sufferfest exclusively until it was watered down and the hard core community dispersed/ was diluted after the Wahoo acquisition. I still am an annual subscriber for the Tour of Sufferlandria and, to a much lesser extent, yoga and mental toughness. I plan to end that when renewal time rolls around. I use it 20x per year. I have a year of Zwift from Wahoo X terminating RGT, but once that is done, I'm back on legacy access - something like 25 km per month - 1 ride / month. I'm ok with that. Why? My coach delivers workouts that can be converted to file formats that can be used in free apps such as MyWhoosh (I appreciate the concerns there) but also IndieVelo. I like the duathlon racing in Zwift, but it's not 'must have'. I like many features, mostly unique, in Wahoo X, but they are not 'must have'. What is 'must have'? Easy to use, accurate workouts by erg mode based on ftp. Some way to capture those workouts for Garmin/Strava. Pretty much the basics b/c my entertainment is on the TV - bike racing, triathlon races, xc skiing during winter... Do I have the $ to pay for multiple annual subs? Sure. Will I do that when I'm using each one a few times per month? No.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift: price increase on the horizon? [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I typically cancel Zwift over the summer when it's reliably nice enough to ride outside. For about eight months of the year though Zwift is either my main cycling outlet, or a good backup if the weather sucks. It's <$1/workout for me, which is less than about any other option (gym membership, masters swim, heck even the wear&tear on my running trainers).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift: price increase on the horizon? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
synthetic wrote:
cartoon graphics of zwift is the most dull and boring indoor riding experience imaginable.

I don't mind the graphics, and since I'm using AppleTV I'm not even getting the best possible limited graphics. And the routes I end up riding most are the most unrealistic (volcano, Titans Grove, etc)...

funny thing is the graphics engine in zwift is more intense on my computer than rouvy. Half the time I cannot load the makuri island course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift sucks if you hardware can’t handle it.

Zwift is much harder on graphics requirements than rouvy, which is basically a video player with a speed control.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Crocwrestler wrote:
Replying to last.

Yes, there is a pause feature.

And when you either pause or cancel, you do not lose your "progress." When you unpause or re-subscribe you get all your "drops"/points, and garage equipment back.

You can only pause if you are paying by the month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

If I can't ride outside I have an indoor velodrome to ride in for nearly the same money.

So freaking jealous!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

I have the feeling that a session on the trainer is much easier to cram in than a velodrome one
Last edited by: jollyroger88: May 9, 24 1:30
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift: price increase on the horizon? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cancelled my Zwift subscription and installed MyWoosh, its free.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift: price increase on the horizon? [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here!
Mywoosh on Ipad: good graphics, speedy…Participants in races could be higher, but if a lot of people join…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Zwift sucks if you hardware can’t handle it.

Zwift is much harder on graphics requirements than rouvy, which is basically a video player with a speed control.

I'm running zwift on an off lease PC I bought in 2017 for NZD99 (about 60USD) and I run a second TV streaming netflix at same time. Now I admit I'm contemplating replacing that as there's a sale on at moment of off lease PCs again, and I suspect the current one won't last another 7 years.

As for the monthly price, I don't think their rise is out of order. I admit this is as I signed up at $10 in 2017 and went through the raise to $15 in 2019, then this rise is smaller step. But I also do at least 3 rides a week, even in summer. So less than $2 a ride is about the cheapest thing to do with tri/cycling. I reckon I pay more per ride outdoors in replacing tyres, tubes/sealant, wax for chains, and that's before the end ride coffee.... And I pay my coach more per ride to specify the session than zwift to 'run the session'.

But this is the point, it's for everyone to check and see if they are getting value. If not then great reminder to pause the membership. That ability to pause and recommence with no penalty or lost data is great I think and not universal on other subscriptions. The integration with training peaks to run erg sessions with no effort on my part coupled with the 'chat' and social side for the saturday 2 hour rides I'll do when it's shitty weather outside and no-one from the club is out, just works for me. Equally the crit races or multilap races give me the chance to push into the red harder than I would with other systems.
Quote Reply

Prev Next