Prev Next
Re: March Fish Madness [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yesterday easy 46.6 mi ride, day before that 12 mi easy run

today 9.1 mi run easy 1h26 then 1400m swim

2 x [600 swim + 50 kick]
100 easy swim

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big day monday.. ha

I did 5800 this am. Solo in my 83/84 degree pool at my buddies house.

I did 10 x 500 then 10 x 50 then warm down
-----
10 x 500s were all 200swim then a 50 of something.

1&2 were backstroke on the 50s
3&4 were kick on back on the 50s
5&6 were scull (front scull w slight kick) on the 50s
7&8 were all kick w board (flutter kick)
9&10 were a combo
I did these basically on the next top or bottom but, aside from the kicking ones, they all fell on 7:30 interval

My 10 x 50s were on 50 and I did them (here comes a swimmer term everybody) "to the feet" -- just to work on some quick flips.
I managed 33s and 34s on all of them. I would assume that the pace to a hand touch was 32s and 33s.

They felt great actually.

Then a warmdown

SPEED SESH thursday.. ooooof

(post swim was a run. I did 6.3 miles holding 625 pace per mile. Quite pleased w that

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Madness [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ten 500's is a boss workout, I think I would run out of time before getting it in. We were getting 75 minutes at the weekend pool, but they just figured out they could just do 60 and add a session or two, and of course make a few more bucks that way. Cant blame them, just glad I had that time while it lasted.

On spring break with the kids, and found a local pool with 8 lanes, and 8 old people over 65!! No lane lines, so pretty wavy, but a nice 82 degrees and all shallow. Swam a bit and thought the drive must have taken a toll on me and this is one dam slow pool, but of course it was meters!!(SCM) So adjusted my send offs and expectations, and got in 2800 in the 52 minutes I got today:

5x100s@1;50(1;36 to 1;27)
5x100IM kick@2;20(2;08 to 1;59)
5x(100IM @2;00/200p@3;10)IM's(1;34/33/31/31/27) pulls(2;49/49/49/49/45)
5x50 buoy@;50(44/43/41/41/41) 50 kick
2800SCM

Pretty happy to find this pool for the week, but just one session at 10am that I can do. It will connect me with next week and hopefully not lose anything during this spring break..Just have to make sure the wife gets her runs in to keep the peace..(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got in three swims fri-sat-sun. Only did 2500-2700 but it was enough to keep touch with the water. Main set Sunday was 6x200s 2 kick drill by 50, 2 swim with some breath control stuff and two pulling. Try to up it to 4 workouts this week. Think Iā€™m going to do a bike ride this weekend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One must always ā€œkeep the peaceā€...

Youā€™ll be good. Even w just a swim or two to get you through

I took the past two weekends totally off and thought Iā€™d feel behind. Turns out rest is good. Who knew?!?

Haha

Daved

Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Madness [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you are getting in the water occasionally there T, but did hear they are extending tax season, is that going to lengthen you work sentence you have to serve too??

Did a quick run after morning rain here in AZ, then decided to get in for last 42 minutes of the local swim:

5x100s@1;50(1;40 to 1;31)
5x100 brest/free@2;00(1;39 to 1;31)
4x300p@4;30(4;13/4;10/4;07/4;20)
2x150p(2;07/2;02)
2500SCM in 42 minutes
Last edited by: monty: Mar 23, 21 13:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an amazing workout today in the 50m LCM pool. 500m free warmup then rest of workout was 50m stroke, 50m return dolphin kick on back. So 90 min of which half the meters were dolphin kick on back. My core is toast! I pulled out fins for 400m total out of the day, but rest was all my own. There was 5-10 seconds rest between 50's.

Some real swimmers thought I was a real swimmer and I told them I am actually a runner forced into the pool 6 years ago on account of not being able to walk-jog-run and had to learn all this in my 50's.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Mar 23, 21 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Madness [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to see everyone getting pool time.
Iā€™ve been in maintenance mode, with some important job deadlines the last 3 weeks.

3400 SCY
1000 (14:03)/200 IM K
5x200 on 3:30 alt IM/stroke on 3:30 (2:54-3:10)
4x50K on 1:10
Pull set on 1:30/100 base: 200, 2x150, 3x100
100IM K fast (1:54)
100 drill/easy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WHOA momma... (kinda scared of this one)

Tomorrow this is what we are going to do:

750 warm up
4 x 50 alactate stuff on 1:00
-----
MyMainSet:

4 x 25 sprint max on :45
2 x 50 sprint max on 1:30
1 x 100 max
300 easy

Goal is to do 3 rounds swimming
and if we can sneak the first part of a 4th round in, we will grab kickboards
Ideally we would get the 25s and 50s in kicking on the 4th round.

Will report back.

Gonna need some serious caffeine here. haha

daved

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck Dave, I'm thinking on those all out 100's you should be well under a minute? Maybe you guys can do a dive on those two, just schmooze the lifeguard a bit.. (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty..

Thatā€™s the hope!! Tho the blocks are totally covered. And the lifeguard is (and this isnā€™t a criticism) very firmly on the spectrum.
Fair to say. No blocks. But yes! Ideally Iā€™d get those down under 60 finally.

Tho I must say... there is a solid 200 yards of even higher output before the 100s!

My buddy is psyched. He basically said what you did: ā€œnice now we can really crank on the 100sā€ ā€”- Iā€™m like bro, I already WAS crankin!!!! Haha

Daved

Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Madness [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did just under 10,000 scy in the last two days. That new 65-69 age group is calling...šŸ˜Š
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Madness [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Did just under 10,000 scy in the last two days. That new 65-69 age group is calling...šŸ˜Š

Nice work! Any chance we're bday twins? April 3 here, but I don't age up this year (I turn 34).

no swim for me yesterday or today: 10.5 mi run and 3 mi bike yesterday; 51 mi bike today.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Madness [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did just under 10,000 scy in the last two days. That new 65-69 age group is calling...šŸ˜Š //

I made it in just a few weeks before you, welcome. And know that the times it takes to move up the ladder, are drastically easier than all previous AG jumps. I guess if you live this long, can keep swimming consistantly, your reward is a real shot at top 10 or even podium. I've waited a very long time for my competition to die off, get injured, or just plain run out of gas. Now we just have to dodge all those pitfalls too, and it is smooth sailing to the 100+ where you can own all the records if you can still swim!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok Monty (and all)

Speed Sesh #5 -- every thursday I have recruited a super fast kid to come and do some serious speed work in the pool. We have a lane to ourselves in a 25 scy pool that is probably 81(ish) degrees. Today maybe 80, it was great.

We have repeated each workout twice so this is our third workout. The first totaled 200 yards of sprinting before a bigger break. The next 2 was 250 yards of sprinting before a bigger break and today was 300 done as:

4 x 25 on :45 ALL OUT MAX
2 x 50 on 1:30 ALL OUT MAX
1 x 100 ALL OUT MAX
300 recovery swim

We did 3 rounds of this.
25s were all 12 seconds. I suspect I may have nudged an 11high in there. But my bc my buddy was doing splits on his watch and he was 11s on all of them, and I was right with him.... MOST of the time. Ha

The 50s... Now this was interesting. I managed 26highs to 27s very consistently. My buddy was 25s high. That first 50 after the last 25 was brutal bc of the lack of rest, the second bc there is over a minute of downtime, I could gather myself a bit more.

The 100s-- as Monty (and anyone following, YO ADRIAN (haha, couldnt resist) ... knows, ive been trying like hell to crack the 60 second barrier in our previous speed sets. I always felt like I would do a sub 60 but the clock was alwasy 1:00-1:03s pretty consistently. Today, NFW, I banged out a 56high, and then two solid 57s. Personally I am thrilled tbh. Its been a long time since I have seen those kinds of times. And it only took about 5 weeks of serious efforts to get there. Of coures, my buddy was 54s high and 55s but I was closer and it was a TON OF FUN. Im so psyched. I had a massive run effort monday, and a 75mile ride on tuesday along w strength training and a 5800 set on monday.

We finished w my buddies bread and butter... 6 x 25 MAX sprint kick w a board. I honestly have NO IDEA how he even moves his feet that fast!!! LMAO. He was easily 15-16s on them. I was holding 19s... but kicking that is a full body length in a 25 he was ahead of me. I bet it looked pathetic!! OMG.

Ok.. well, there you go.

I get my second vac shot on sunday and i heard that the 2nd moderna shot can be a doozy. so I was planning a bit of a push this week and then a few days off to let the shot settle before april and fine tunning for xterra alabama... assuming it happens.

Have a great day guys and thanks for the continued motivation!

daved

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can barely run that fast!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a J&J shot on Tuesday, March 16 and didn't have any side effects except a sore deltoid for a week. I'm glad to avoid the side effects of the other brands. I hope the second one is okay for you.

4.5 mi easy run
3000 m easy swim

500 on 9 w/u
20 x 100 on 1:50
500 c/d mix kick, swim

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done Dave, that's a very good set. Maybe I'll do a round tomorrow, but sure as hell not 3-4 after today's set.

Tuesday:
300 easy
8x50 drill
3x500 aerobic cruise on 6:30 (felt fast, not sure why. 5:54-51-49)
3x400 pull strong on 5:00 (4:17-18's)
4x50 easy to get the regular feel back

3600 scy

+30 min run

Today: (very warm pool, steamy despite it being nearly 60F air temp)
300 easy
8x50 drill
12x200 descend in sets of 4 on 2:45
2:19-16-13-08
2:18-15-12-08
2:16-14-12-08 (overheating on those last two)
6x50 cruise/warm down

3400scy

hopefully another short run this afternoon.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hit the 55 age group on March 30th. I notice the number of competitors at the top seems to really start dropping off. I live streamed the NCAAs 800 relay yesterday at work and it fired me up for a midweek practice. So I left work early which was around 630 and hit the pool. Main set was 8 x100 pulling. 1st 4 at 1:30 descend 12, 11, 10, 08 and then 2nd 4 at 2:00 fast. 05, 04, 04 and 05 was really hoping to go a 2 or 3 on the last one but my stroke fell apart the 2nd 50.
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Madness [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

And you, you're flying.. Those are some quick swims bro. Well done. Keep it up. I dont know how old you are but i am 46 and I am mad I did not do more of this training over the past decade or more TBH.

Let me know how it goes!!

I followed up todays swim by meeting two buddies to do a road ride and the two of them just rung me out... I am so smoked. We covered 42miles (relatively flat... just rollers 1800 ft total) in about an hour 50. 25+ mph on a wet cold am here.

Sun is out and roads are dry now.. of course.

daved

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way to go Dave, that was friggin fast. We all of course expected you to break a minute on that set, but 56/57's, that is another level from just dipping under. Not too long and you will have to be looking at 2 minutes for 200's!!! And at 46, you are fast enough to hit that top 10 at nationals with a good taper, so maybe we can all meet up there this summer if it actually happens. I dont know Adrian's age, but I know that Bo and SH here are right about your age group, and they are podium guys in that AG too. Bo even has a national record or two(Canadian) and SH has podiumed at nats a few times. You guys would have a smokin ST 45+relay!!

I took yesterday off completely to just be with the family on vacation, but they let me get in the full 55 minutes this morning. Only 4 old people, and all were on other side of pool, so not many waves for me on my side. Water was a cool 82(cool for me these days) and I finally felt like I could swim the meter pool with some confidence. So with all that in mind, and the fact I probably will not see a meter pool again this year, I did a decent warm up and then a 1500 for time(pull). Goal was to just break 21 minutes, got a little surprised when I did my slow 500 turns and had a look at my watch:

10x100- 5s@1;50(1;35 to 1;24)5 IM kick@2;20(2;05 to 1;54)
1500 for time(20;07--6;49/6;40/6;38). 200IM say kick
6x50 buoy@;50(44/42's) 100IM kick
3100SCM

SO first 500 I was cursing very aerobic and thinking about 7 minutes, and saw the 6;49. Figured right there I would suffer a bit and go for a 20;30, but did even better and hit a 20;07. Afterwards I knew I had the sub 20 in me today, but would have had to do it from the get go. Super happy with that time though, been a long time since I was knocking on the door of 20 minutes, especially in a 3 1/2 ft pool with no lane lines!!!

Super stoked to see everyone's great workouts here too now, some motivation where there was very little these past months...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Monty thanks!
It was a trip. I was psyched.
I felt like since I was getting closer to my buddy it was just a matter of time to when I adjusted to being able to hold that tempo from the 50s over to the 100.
And you are so spot on with the 200. I actually gave a legit lol when I read that. Bc Eric who I swim w just did a 153 from a push the other day at practice.
I know I could not do that. But I do feel Iā€™d prob be able to push a 2:00 or 2:01 at this point.
Itā€™s been fun. We were really going at the 25s yesterday. And they really added up ... but weā€™re also really good to just get out of your own way and just go!
So itā€™s been a fun ride so far.
Will see how we go next week w my second shot. I might need a week off. But... hoping NOT at this point.
Would be fun to try at a meet or nats. Iā€™ll keep this in mind. When is nats and where? (Assuming it happens)

Daved

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a letter in the mail today from Swimming Canada - I'm a National Freakin' Champ for 2020! 50 fly. Suck on that!!

What happened was there was no 2020 Nationals, so they decided to give out the awards to the top ranked person in each category, and I happened to be the top ranked because I managed to get to an early meet. So it's really not as impressive as it sounds, but I'm not telling anyone the backstory. I'm a National Champ!!!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: March Fish Madness [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple things:

You did tell us. Ha

And

Even w the backstory, a hearty congratulations!! Seriously cool stuff.

Now, can you repeat????

Haha. Enjoy! Thatā€™s super cool

Daved

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I turned 40 this week. I've been doing stuff like this for years; the biggest advantage I have over most triathletes is raw speed in the water, so I try to maximize that (also whenever I come up against another former-- and younger-- swimmer, they always have me in that first 50 speed). I grew up in swim programs that were not afraid to pound you into dust and then keep pounding, so I've always been more of a 'threshold and faster' orientation in swim training. Also because I don't swim all that much (generally I'm low-volume all around), usually twice a week around 3k yards, but recently I've bumped up to 3 times a week regularly, hoping some extra volume gets me a bump in performance.

Tried your set this morning, just one round was enough for me.

300easy
8x50 drill
5x100 with ankle band on 1:25
100 cruise

4x25 on 45 sprint [12.9/ 12.2/ 12.8/12.1]
2x50 on 1:30 all out [26.2 / 25.6]
100 all out [54.8]

100 easy
2x200 with paddles 50 kick/ 50 swim
2x50 easy

2200scy
Note: there is a definite current in my pool (see the 25's), I chose to start from the end that would make the beneficial direction on the even 25's. usually I start from the other end.

Pretty happy with that, I think that's the first time I've been 25 in a 50 in a long time (without fins) or under 57 in a 100. Going a second round would have required a lot of rest, that really was all out and I only could have gone faster if I had someone racing next to me, or a dive.

-----
Quote Reply

Prev Next