Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: April fish: we have a lot of Free time [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This topic is and can be so toxic its hard to know what to say without fear of being attacked.

Im sad for swimming, esp in an olympic year where the sport has any chance to gain traction.
Im sad that cycling is almost unilaterally associated w doping.

Im sad bc a majority of the most lucrative sports on planet earth dont play by the same rules. If you think for a second that athletes in tennis, nba, golf, nhl, nfl, MLB etc etc are NOT taking drugs(on a regular basis) that any olympic athlete would be banned for life for, you are delusional (even if it happens to be just a tainted supplement for the oly athlete). The double standard is absurd to the point of comedy.

So, I hope our swimmers (team usa) in particular dont suffer too much in the public arena for what is happening outside the US in oly sports and happening rampantly in our "professional" sporting arenas.

Now for much more boring news:

MyMainSet :
4 rounds (no extra rest)
1 x 200 on 2:45
4 x 50 on :45 dec to Race Pace

I was 2:19. 2:17, 2:15, 2:12 on the 200s
and 34, 33, 32, 30-31s on the 50s.

Pretty good set btw.
For clarity we did take an extra 15 seconds after the last 50 to start on the top again.

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: April fish: we have a lot of Free time [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one here is going to attack you or cancel you ass daved, think we mostly are all on the same page, clean sport..This one is going to be messy though, and it is going to shine a light on some of the agencies that are supposed to be our gate keepers, heads are gonna roll..

On that note, great set there, your couple times a week is holding you in pretty good shape there. I got in yesterday after a 4 day off for no reason except to play with kids, and this was today's 2nd back. Sluggish but at the precipice of fitness, where I reside for 90% of my life these days:

30x100 as 20@1;40--4buoy/1stroke-buoys(1;28 to 1;23's) back(1;31/1;29)brst(1;33/1;33)2x(4x100p@1;35/100fly or IM @2;00)pulls(1;18 to 1;16's) fly(1;28)IM (1;26)
2x(100frog@2;20/50stroke@1;10)frogs(1;48's)fly(37)bk(41)
3300SCY in 58 minutes

And to waverider, I watched the Aussie lifeguard champs last weekend, and low and behold there was Lani Pallister and Sam Short anchoring the Taplin relays at the end of the 5 day meet. Think they had their own big swim meet to do all week, but both showed up and hit the chunderous surf that was on hand that day. Lani swam her team into first on that last leg, but Sam went in too far back and was a non factor. Think the guys are just better in the surf too, and Lani is a seasoned surf swimmer so could use her 4;01 400m speed!!!
Quote Reply
Re: April fish: we have a lot of Free time [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lani could definitely hit GOAT woman surf swimmer in AUS if she can keep racing. There was talk she should start doing the OW over the pool races but I think she breaks down pretty hard even on her training load at the moment (which is not huge in KMs). But she has got what the other big OW woman don't have which is more 800 and down speed. She is training really hard to get a spot on the 4x200 relay team as well as her distance events. Could get some hardware from paris.
Quote Reply
Re: April fish: we have a lot of Free time [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wed. Apr 24- 2000 yd swim, 1 mi walk

Shoulder didn’t feel good pre swim (reached back too much accidentally last night- reaching too far back w arm at a certain height is a sure fire way to generate pain, and I try to remember to not do this movement. It is the “turn off lamp in bed” motion basically). Felt like I had a knot during swim but it didn’t get worse. Feels a little better post PT exercises I think?

20 x 100 randomly on 2 and 1:55
Really just trying to build better technique and not have pain

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was talk she should start doing the OW over the pool races but I think she breaks down pretty hard even on her training load at the moment (which is not huge in KMs). But she has got what the other big OW woman don't have which is more 800 and down speed. She is training really hard to get a spot on the 4x200 relay team as well as her distance events. //

It's funny that for my past 50 years in the sport, great long distance pool swimmers were always thought to have the chops for long distance OW too. But it really has morphed into something like bike racing, you have your great TT'ers, and your great road and stage racers, and they only very seldom lead the pointy end of the two disciplines. Seems like swimming is the same now, you cannot just pluck a Ledecky or a Hackett and put them in the 10k and think they will dominate. In fact they get their lunches eaten most often, and now we see the difference in what it takes to win at each.

So I suspect you are right in that Lani could be really good at OW, but it does appear there is a price to be paid in the pool if you go both routes. Barley a handful of folks have won medals at both, and no one I can recall who had a good enough 200 to be a medal(or relay) contender. So Lani is definitely going for that relay, she has the distance events in her sights already, but just. Might throw all that away if she focused on the 10k..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for saying Monty...
I was referring more to folks outside of the fish thread if they said what I did on national tv or something.

it pretty safe here. Hell I get ripped more for offering swim advice on this site!!! ha.

two x per week is just barely squeaking me by tho. I need to get in more but just not finding the time w the focus on bike racing this year.

Not sure tomorrrows swim is gonna happen either, just too much to do.

daved

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ch ch ch chaaaaanges......

My apologies - I've made some grumpy posts lately. I've been in a rut. But over the last couple of days I SWITCHED SHIT UP.

New goals. New philosophy. New training. New priorities. New visualizations. And new goggles - cap - swimwear too! 😂

Yesterday's and today's sessions were very positive.

And my 400m CD today was a "return to norm" 7:19. I maintain that the 400m CD swim is the biggest indicator of my swimming state. 😂

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Last edited by: Skuj: Apr 24, 24 13:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah that’s a good point, a bit hard to mix both ends. I am interested to see how the big 10k men go at Paris, they haven’t been as fast as they were in a few years. I think the timing of the events also hurts them. Can’t do a big 5 and 10km race and then be at your best the next week in the 8 and 15. They are doing ow after the pool in Paris but did the ow before the pool at worlds.

Paltrinieri went real fast in Budapest 21 but hasn’t been so fast since then in the 15

I don’t know if they still do this but if a ledecky or Hackett level swimmer went into the ows they’d get absolutely hammered physically. A Real beat down on the cans and pack
Quote Reply
Re: April fish: we have a lot of Free time [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New goggles and new swimmers are great. I don’t wear caps , hate them with a passion, but glad you’re on the up up up

Caps are like another well known plastic covering for the human form , if you don’t have to wear one why would you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
New goggles and new swimmers are great. I don’t wear caps , hate them with a passion, but glad you’re on the up up up

Caps are like another well known plastic covering for the human form , if you don’t have to wear one why would you

Dude, that's soooo February.

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another day at the lake.
Wore gloves/booties - didn't really need them.
The wetsuit was a good idea though.
33:45 to end of lake + return, just a touch under 1500 M.
Nice "walk" in nature.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t know if they still do this but if a ledecky or Hackett level swimmer went into the ows they’d get absolutely hammered physically. A Real beat down on the cans and pack //

Ya remember when Hackett had a go, got completely hammered in the middle of the lead pack, fighting for 15th..That had to be quite depressing for him too, so different from your own lane and just hammering to the walls...It would certainly help if the OW races were after the pool ones, then maybe more top distance swimmers would have a go..Doing it before, well pretty much has shown to hamper those pool races that are decided by tenths of a second...

Got in for day 3 in a row here, just did a bunch of 200's, didnt feel like anything special:

15x200 as 3buoy@3;10(2;54/52/48)3p@2;50(2;36/35/34)3back@3;30(3;12/10/07)3frog@4;00(3;42/38/34)3p@3;00(2;37/36/33)
9x50@1;00 as 2buoy/1stroke--buoys(41/40's)back(42/41)brst(43)
3300SCY in 58 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:
Ch ch ch chaaaaanges......

My apologies - I've made some grumpy posts lately. I've been in a rut. But over the last couple of days I SWITCHED SHIT UP.

New goals. New philosophy. New training. New priorities. New visualizations. And new goggles - cap - swimwear too! 😂

Yesterday's and today's sessions were very positive.

And my 400m CD today was a "return to norm" 7:19. I maintain that the 400m CD swim is the biggest indicator of my swimming state. 😂

As the ringleader of this little operation, I would like to inform you that saying how you feel without censoring it is A-ok. Nothing you said was grumpy and if it were it would be ok. Pain sucks. Not being able to do what one want sucks. We can feel that AND be positive, simultaneously. Ignoring either isn’t smart mental health wise

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2600 free, 3.28 mi run (th Apr 25)

26 x 100 on a random mix of 2 and 1:55

Infra tendon talked in last two but much better than yesterday! Love from, emotional roller coaster

Quote Reply
Re: April fish: we have a lot of Free time [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post TC!!

This is a good group of folks

Daved

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty blah day today, got in late so just had 55 minutes and decided to do some fly:

7x100bouy@1;40/50fly@1;10--buoys(1;27 to 1;22)flys(46 to 38+)
4x 100frog@2;20/50fly@1;10--frogs(1;50 to 1;46)fly(39/38+'s)
2x(2x100p@1;40/50frog@1;10/50fly@1;30)pulls(1;19/17's)frog(53's)fly(39/39)
2x(100p@1;45/2x25fly@;45)pulls(1;19/18)fly(17/16+/17/16)
2550SCY in 54 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3k and 2k yesterday and today

just with some nice smooth and long strokes and a bit of goal racing effort and pace but not over doing it

hoping to feel fresh tomorrow for one more ow race. Marked as 2.5km and last year winning group was 40 minute year before 34 minutes so could be a long one

I’m taking a cap in case it’s cold. Im probably stupid enough I shouldn’t get cold.

Maybe a bit of a wave on in the finish and start sections
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3.11 mi easy jog (31 min)
1200 yd swim as 12 x 100 on 1:55

month for my purposes
M Apr 1- 2000 free, 3300 yd kick
T Apr 2 - 3250 free, 150 kick
W Apr 3 - 2900 free, 400 kick
F Apr 5 - 1800 free
W Apr 17 - 1000 free
F Apr 19 - 1000 free
Sun Apr 21 - 1000 free
Mon Apr 22 - 2000 free
Wed Apr 24 - 2000 free
Th Apr 25 - 2600 free
Sat Apr 27 - 1200 free

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Apr 28, 24 11:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scy

5 x 200s on med rest descend each 200
10 x 25s on long rest fast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super stoked to get away at lunch yesterday after dropping kid off at play date, and getting in an actual 82 degree pool at sea level. The one I usually swim at here is closed for the week, and usually a couple degrees hotter, so this was a real treat in the Palm Springs pool..And once again didnt feel great, but the environment let me work hard and do better times than usual...

5x100buoy@1;40(1;27 to 1;18)3x100frog@2;00(1;50/48/47)
1000p med/hard@13;30(12;47--6;26/6;21)300frog@6;00(5;29)
2x(100p@2;00/50hard IM order@1;30) pulls(1;18 to 1;13's) fly(35/37)bk(40/41)brst(41/42+)free(32/33+) was only going to do one set so went all out on first, but cool water led me to believe I could do one more, tired arms but ok
6x50 kick@1;20, odds dolphin/ evens frog--(67/63/60dolphin)(53/52's frog)
4x50buoy@1;00(41/40's)
3800SCY in 73 minutes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
waverider101 wrote:
Quote:

Dude, that's soooo February.

:D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm happy with 5 sessions over this last week (Monday to Sunday).

But I'm sad that flipturns might be history for me. My latest injury means pain whenever I do the knees-towards-chest thing. Maybe this will change eventually.

I only swim.
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Last edited by: Skuj: Apr 28, 24 11:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2000 scy in mostly 100s on 1:50, wondering if I will ever be the swimmer I was. I was in a lot of pain after Saturday’s swim and it went down but that might be attributable to nsaids. Had a tiny bit of something today, hard to say if it is pain or fatigue from the PT exercises, and sometimes pain sets in later. I’m trying to remind myself that the nerve damage and muscle atrophy took years (3- really, if I think of the onset it was three years in the making) so I cannot reasonably expect to be back to normal only 3 months after surgery. But the fear of having lost (a) my ability to swim without pain and (b) the ability to swim fast feels very, very strong and threatening and sad. Like, that happens. People have physical things they never come back from. I am trying to lean on all the times I thought I would never run again - only to run again- and believe that this will be the same.

And I am grateful for what I can do - I am not in a sling or on crutches etc etc and yes I am so grateful for that - but I can appreciate what I can do, and still be sad and scared.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
straight from the favorite set thread:

40 x 50
16 with every 4th fast
12 with every 3rd fast
8 with every 2nd fast
4 fast
Last edited by: apmoss: Apr 29, 24 13:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel for you Allison, you should not be going through this kind of stuff at your age, it should be a thing 20 years from now at the earliest. All of us in our 60's and up know this dynamic, but we have had time and experience to deal with it mentally, not something for you to have to deal with. Just keep doing what appears to be the right thing, and realize it may take months, years to get back to your normal. Most likely it will come, you kids heal fast and have great recuperative powers, just have to give your body the time, space, and patience it needs..Great thing about us triathletes, is that when something is hurt or broken, we can often do the other thing to keep the wheels turning. Find some peace in that during this time and let the swimming just come back to you in its own time, dont rush it...

My one day cold pool adventure is in the rearview now, and back at the 84 degree high pool, oh well. In light of what you have to endure, no complaining from me:

4x(3x100buoy or pull@1;40/100frog@2;00/100back@2;00)buoys(1;29 to 1;19)pulls(1;17 to 1;14's)backs(1;30/27/26/24)
4x(100frog@2;30/2x50stroke@1;10/1;20)frogs(1;51 to 1;47)flys(38/37+)back(40/39)brst(43/42)free(34/33)
3x100p@1;40(1;19/17/16)
6x50 kick@1;20, odds dolphin/evens frog (61/60/64 dolphin)(55/53/53 frog)4x50p@1;00(37/36/35/34)
3600SCY in 73 minutes
Last edited by: monty: Apr 29, 24 19:33
Quote Reply

Prev Next