Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
70.3 world championships - Taupo
Quote | Reply
Recently got a roll down slot which qualified me for 70.3 world championships in Taupo, New Zealand next year. Still some planning to do but was looking to see if anyone had any thoughts.

Has anyone done the race and if so what were the positives and negatives I guess?
Taupo area – do most athletes stay in the area…hotels, Airbnb? Plan was to maybe fly into the north island couple days before and drive up the coast then head out to Taupo for 2-3 days just for the race.
Bike shipping from US…any recommendations on what company to go with? Does anyone ever consider renting a similar bike to what they may have?
Any advice for planning a trip like this would be appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 world championships - Taupo [johnny_5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the 70.3 in March. We rented a home through VRBO. We flew into Auckland and drove down to Taupo a few days before the race. The positive was that we had an amazing house right on lake Taupo (beautiful views from the balcony). The only "negative" was that the rental house was a bit far from the race finish and transition area. This was entirely my fault for choosing a house farther out on Acacia Bay. It was perfect for my husband as he likes peace and quiet but made it more difficult for me to get to and from the race site (it was about a 15 minute drive from transition/finish line).

I flew with my bike in a Thule Roundtrip Transition (hard sided case). I had checked for shipping options and it seemed like flying with my bike case would be the cheapest option. I would warn that if you are flying with a bike box, triple check the weight restrictions of your airline. I checked before we left and the weight limit and size of the box were fine, but our return flight home was changed and the new plane was much smaller than the original aircraft. I was told that my bike box would be too big to fit on this airplane. After much debate with the airline clerk, my bike box made it on the plane home and all was well, but did give me a bit of distress at the time.

We spent an additional week on the north island after the race. I wish we had a bit more time to explore the south island as well before we had to leave.

The locals really embraced the athletes and the race. Everyone gave us a warm welcome.

I would definitely do this race again!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 world championships - Taupo [Rdracer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you don't mind me asking, how much would one expect to pay for a trip to NZ for worlds? I am looking at trying to qualify for the race and wanted to be able to have a rough estimate of the cost so I could decide if I would even take my spot if I were to qualify.

Obviously the travel cost will depend on location (I'm in the US and am not sure where ill be living yet at that time). But in terms of cost of registration, rental car, housing (probably a week), bike shipping, and anything else major that i'm forgetting
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 world championships - Taupo [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We flew directly from Houston to Auckland. We elected to upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy. The premium economy seat was similar to what you would see in domestic first class. The seats are bigger and recline but do not lay flat. We paid approx $4,000 USD per person roundtrip for the flight.

We rented a small SUV so that my bike box would fit in the back with our suitcase. It was $1400 NZD for the rental for 6 days.

The exchange rate was somewhere around $1 NZD to $0.66 USD at the time of our travel.

We rented a very nice house off VRBO, so I'm sure there would be a cheaper option as we did splurge on the accommodations (we were also celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some really good tidbits in your response, thank you! I considered the hotels in the area which there seems to plenty but because its more than a year out its hard to get a price gauge right now. Was a week enough to explore the north island? I was planning on this when I arrive and then for the race heading to Taupo for 2-3 days then moving again to possibly the south island. Would have to have flights booked accordingly - not gonna lie $4k sounds a lot even for the upgrades. I was budgeting more like 1200-1500 return but we'll see i guess.
Do you know if its the same course and if so...hilly, flat? etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A week was enough to tour the north island (in my opinion). I would have liked to have seen the south island as well but we simply ran out of time.

I think the economy seats were around $1500 if I remember correctly. There may have been cheaper options, but we elected for a non-stop flight instead of having a layover.

For the March race, the 70.3 was one loop of the bike course and the 140.6 was 2 loops. My Garmin has it as just under 1,800 feet elevation gain. The deceptive part of the course is the wind. There is usually a tail wind heading out and a stiff headwind heading back in. The road surface is pretty rough (I wish I had deflated my tires 5 more PSI) so I was out of aero for parts of the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah i was looking for flights for this year around that time and 1400-1800 seemed to be about the norm depending on airport

Part of me really wants to make it and go but another part kinda hopes I dont end up qualifying and save some money and do another half in the fall closer by....but it sounds like an amazing experience
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interested how far the roll down spots are falling at these races. Taupo is a cool racecation but it's pretty long and pricey for a lot of North Americans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm a kiwi so can't advise on fliights but have done the taupo 70.3 and know the area pretty well.

the swim is always cold but its beautifully clear fresh water. can cut up rough if the wind is wrong but generally not too bad.
the standard bike course is undulating rather than hilly and often a headwind return. there was talk a while back about using a different, more sporting, course for worlds but i haven't heard anything about that in a long while so might not be happening. definately course chip roads.
the run is relatively flat but enough undulations to break it up. expect fantastic spectator support.

a week is probably sensible for touring the north island. if you have more time the south island is an amazing place but takes a lot of time to get around unless you fly everywhere. be aware that our roads are rubbish so driving will take longer than you might expect.

staying in taupo for the race would definately be recommended. there is a lot of accomodation but it will sell out so don't wait too long. in my experience most places don't increase their rates for big events so current prices should be a reasonable indication.

if you're flying into auckland with time to spare you could drive down through coromandel, tauranga, rotorua to taupo.
after the race maybe head across to napier, then down through the wairarapa to wellington.
each of those can be driven in one day without much sight seeing or take as long as you like
then either fly back to auckland, head south or head up the west coast depending on how much time you have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnny_5 wrote:
Some really good tidbits in your response, thank you! I considered the hotels in the area which there seems to plenty but because its more than a year out its hard to get a price gauge right now. Was a week enough to explore the north island? I was planning on this when I arrive and then for the race heading to Taupo for 2-3 days then moving again to possibly the south island. Would have to have flights booked accordingly - not gonna lie $4k sounds a lot even for the upgrades. I was budgeting more like 1200-1500 return but we'll see i guess.
Do you know if its the same course and if so...hilly, flat? etc
By all accounts it’s going to be a new course. They were testing radios on the day before IMNZ this year to make sure they’ll work on the proposed course. I’ve heard from a source that there will be a lot more climbing than the usual course.

It’s going to be tested at this years 70.3 in December. Apparently new course for all 3 disciplines.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 world championships - Taupo [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There won’t be a swim at the world championships in Taupo.

Take that to the bank. The water will just be too damn cold.

The bike course is bumpy. So bring a set of Allen keys to tighten everything on your bike.

Taupo is spectacular. If you come all the way here, you must spend a week in the South Island. Its beautiful.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 world championships - Taupo [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

The bike course is bumpy. So bring a set of Allen keys to tighten everything on your bike.

Taupo is spectacular. If you come all the way here, you must spend a week in the South Island. Its beautiful.
Of course there’ll be a swim. It’s going to be late enough for the water to be ok and not too cold. The bike course will be new as will the run course. We’ve pretty much already been told as much.

And it’s likely that the swim course will be the return leg of the IMNZ swim so we’ll walk down to the start from the usual start.

They are going to test it all at this year’s 70.3 in December.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plan on doing it next year; wife wants to travel! Should be fun.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

IMNZ and my vacation after was one of the greatest experiences of my life...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 world championships - Taupo [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
PJC wrote:

Such a fabulous place to visit. I’ve been there five times and definitely want to go back. In the comment about driving taking longer than you think - so true.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 world championships - Taupo [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
Interested how far the roll down spots are falling at these races. Taupo is a cool racecation but it's pretty long and pricey for a lot of North Americans.

Did Muncie 2 weeks ago...roll down sports were in the 40s at one stage for some AGs. It is a long ways to go for a race but it may be a once in a life time trip!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 world championships - Taupo [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
PJC wrote:

Of course there’ll be a swim. It’s going to be late enough for the water to be ok and not too cold. The bike course will be new as will the run course. We’ve pretty much already been told as much.

And it’s likely that the swim course will be the return leg of the IMNZ swim so we’ll walk down to the start from the usual start.

It's freezing 16c in march after the summer. Coming out of winter, that water will be so cold. I'll stick with there will be no swim.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 world championships - Taupo [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
PJC wrote:

Such a fabulous place to visit. I’ve been there five times and definitely want to go back. In the comment about driving taking longer than you think - so true.

I remember you getting your Kona rolldown there in the early 2000's.

I can't remember if it was 2001/3/4 or 5

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

It's freezing 16c in march after the summer. Coming out of winter, that water will be so cold. I'll stick with there will be no swim.

I thought 0c was freezing...? :o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

It will be cold, but the lake is swimmable that time of year. I lived there for 2.5 years 2003 to 2005 and recall doing mini tris in November.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
BayDad wrote:
PJC wrote:

the lake is usually pretty warm in march. kinloch itu oceania sprint champs have been non wetsuit a number of times. they were usually early to mid feb.
Last edited by: fulla: Jul 22, 19 18:35
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 world championships - Taupo [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quintana who wrote:
PJC wrote:

And I know people like you are arseholes.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnny_5 wrote:
bretzky wrote:

Did Muncie 2 weeks ago...roll down sports were in the 40s at one stage for some AGs. It is a long ways to go for a race but it may be a once in a life time trip!

I hope this is the case all next year. I will be gunning for a spot and will need all the help I can get!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
quintana who wrote:
PJC wrote:

And I know people like you are arseholes.

You are.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 world championships - Taupo [quintana who] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
quintana who wrote:
You are.

I thought you had to be over 18 to be on this site. Clearly I was wrong.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply

Prev Next