Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri - could you load of photo of the armcups with the 3m added? Almost crashed out at Ohio70.3 slipping off the pads.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipS wrote:
TulkasTri - could you load of photo of the armcups with the 3m added? Almost crashed out at Ohio70.3 slipping off the pads.

As soon as the neoprene arrives will do.

I don't know if I sweat through my arms more than normal, but it's become an issue now that SoCal is mid-summer; I find myself slipping off of them frequently, and I don't want to end up on the ground with road rash or worse.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
following this. I have the full 51SS cockpit on my Ventum and love the product. I agree 100% on the slippage issue in humid conditions. I am sure it's easy to solve and that Matt will solve it for the longer term as well.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [dl1340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The replies make me laugh...." go spend a ton of $$$$ and get a new fit so you can use our $40 pads"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had accident where my bike came off my bike rack going down the road. It was my fault, forgot to hook the front tire hook. I had to replace my zipp carbon bars, after looking around it was hard to pass the deal tri rig was running on alpha x bars. I did a 71 mile ride this weekend and no issues at all with slippage with the tri rig arm pads. So far I am very pleased with new setup. I think if 51 speedshop would change the material on their armcups they could solve this issue easily
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you guys having this slippage problem have tilt on your aerobars? Just installed my 51 speedshop bar but haven’t ridden it yet. I had max tilt on my Alpha x and will likely do the same with the new bar. I can’t see how I could slip out of the pads with tilt.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mine aren't tilted that much. it is definitely an issue with the composition of the pad surface, non absorbent.
I contacted CeeGees yesterday and they responded to me that they expect to be releasing their product for 51SS within weeks (maybe sooner)
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [SkipS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes I had a tilt on mine and still had issues.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [SDinhofer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone let me know when those ceegees come out... the slippage is real here in humid Virginia Beach. I will order some the day they come out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use these pads, I sweat, I don't slip.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Mar 9, 22 3:33
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: milesthedog: Mar 9, 22 3:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... might I suggest you try some decaf ?

Because you are kind of being an ass.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
some of the posts above REALLY need a like button.

I am a 51SS cockpit user. While I have observed the issue, i never really saw it as a "problem." Matt actually reached out to me having seen my post earlier in this thread and I know he's working on something. He's a great innovator with a great small business Give it time and I think all will be happy. We need more innovators and independents like Matt in the marketplace!
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [SDinhofer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too have purchased product from Matt, and here in Colorado, know of many others. He has a great reputation, and He puts out High Quality well engineered product.

For some folks to continue to pile on, is not necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am amused. You got me at grease to sweat ratio.

milesthedog wrote:
I'm sorry for bumping this thread, but my coffee is kicking in and with it, some bad humor which I'm finding amazing in my current buzzed-state:
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Aug 9, 19 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, here is my experience FWIW ...

I read this thread, agreed with it, never took action. I was 8 weeks out from my A race and was in a group ride, hit a bump while on someones wheel, arms slid off the arm cups which were good and sweaty at this point, lost control 24mph ended up going over the handlebars and landing on my shoulder. Season done for, 400+ hours of training gone, $5k+ wasted on a race I cant take part in, medical fees for the last two weeks of hospital visits (plus whatever is to come - surgery, etc). This isn't the only incident I have had with this product.

My recommendation at this point is obvious ... but I wanted to share my experience.
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [ctkidd_23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why were you in aero during a group ride while riding on someone’s wheel?
That’s group ride danger etiquette 101.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: milesthedog: Mar 9, 22 3:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, well let me put it this way, the guy in front of me hit the same bump same place, same speed, he didn't have the same issue. I am not sure how much more of a comparison test you would need to prove the issue. So feel free to claim rider error, but this thread is probably a bad place to claim that given the number of similar complaints outlined in previous posts.

It is not my intent to rubbish the product, it is my intent to let people know what happened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: milesthedog: Mar 9, 22 3:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh man, we can argue about this all day long but your affiliation to SS51 really exposes your bias here ...

You have removed your comments around me rubbishing the product and I think for good reason. Reference my original post, I did not even mention the product once apart from where I state this is not the first time I have had an incident with this product. Again, my purpose is to share my experience as I state in the opening line of my post.

Feel free to deflect with philosophical and hypothetical questions around rider handling skills, the frequency of hitting bumps, rider holding extensions, bar tape etc. If you need to control all of these variables in order for a product to be safe, then it is not a safe product. I can assure you, I am an experienced rider, I have hit many bumps, I am able to handle my bike.

So, as more people bring these issues forward, feel free to continue to show your bias by defending the company without any direct knowledge of the incidents posted here but in my view it wont remove credit from the experiences shared by many on this thread. Again, I am here to share my experience, not to get involved in an argument.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my last two sets of bars (Zipp, Profile), I added a loop of silicone rescue tape to the pads for extra grip. Cheap ($8 a roll at any auto or hardware store), easily removable (no residue), and it has helped with deltoid pain I had from working to not slide forward. Might be an easy fix.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: 51 speed shop arm cups [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Why were you in aero during a group ride while riding on someone’s wheel?
That’s group ride danger etiquette 101.

My group rides like that with no issues. It’s not hard to ride a bike.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You shouldn’t have to have all these scenarios to use Aerobar pads. Multiple people say they are slick. Are you the lawyer for 51 Speedshop or something?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Mat has two sample re-designs in hand at this time to address the concern raised on this thread. It does appear to be an outlier issue, but Mat is taking action, nonetheless.

In the scenario you present, you openly admit to a) riding on someone's wheel while in the aerobars and b) hitting a "bump" while riding in the aerobars.

Outlier? BULLSHIT!!!!

Not everyone that bought the arm cups is on Slowtwitch, and there's already several of us with this issue. I lucked out at Oceanside where I managed to take control of the bike, and I wasn't on anybody's wheel. I am very surprised 51S have taken this long to address this issue.
Quote Reply

Prev Next