Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Low Altitude
Quote | Reply
Would you adjust race pacing for a 70.3 race at 2000 feet elevation coming from sea level?

Anyone have data to show how significant/insignificant the effect on performance is at low altitude like that?
Quote Reply
Re: Low Altitude [TriMeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not.

Lots of anecdata suggesting you really don’t see significant impact until much higher, say 5-6000’
Last edited by: Mudge: Jun 15, 21 6:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMeToo wrote:
Would you adjust race pacing for a 70.3 race at 2000 feet elevation coming from sea level?

Anyone have data to show how significant/insignificant the effect on performance is at low altitude like that?

Nothing regarding pacing, but I had good luck taking green tea extract for runs at 8k-13.3k(I live at 900ft). Obviously 2k isn't 8k+, but it is an easy and safe supplement to take.

Placid is 2,876ft and goes up from there and I didn't notice anything during IM. I was faster there vs. Florida at much lower elevation.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me the difference is ~7% for sea level to 5000ft, so sea level to 2000ft is probably in the 2-3% range. You are going to have to be really good at pacing to make that small an adjustment and it is probably in the range of your normal day-to-day variability. You might still try being conservative and save it for the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The effect of altitude might not be all that great, but Humidity might be something to consider. Especially if the 2000' elevation is more arid. Dehydration can creep up on you if you come from a very humid location.
Quote Reply