Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is triathlon facing a drop in popularity?
Quote | Reply
Maybe it’s just me, but I wonder where this sport is going. Consider:

— no male Kona to worry about
— bike brands cutting back on sponsorships / laying people off
— adjacent businesses struggling
— independent races struggling (long term trend)
— no IM sellouts
— no backlog of deferrals to bloat participant numbers
— looming recession putting pressure on discretionary activities
— aging demographics
— Slowtwitch front page featuring articles about meat companies
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon facing a drop in popularity? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off ‘looming’ recession. Lol. We’re in a recession.

The changing financial climate should be number 1 on your list. It has trickle down effects on everything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. It’s been losing popularity for the better part of the last decade.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have lost 3 of our four well established local sprint/oly races in the last 4 years. There is only one left.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon facing a drop in popularity? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not in Australia. 70.3 and IMWA both sold out for the first time in years and local races have been selling out too.
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon facing a drop in popularity? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
Yes. It’s been losing popularity for the better part of the last decade.

Agreed, but there was a narrative coming out of Covid that all the Peloton types would be looking for the visceral experience of mass participation events. Seems like that bubble burst pretty quickly
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon facing a drop in popularity? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Not in Australia. 70.3 and IMWA both sold out for the first time in years and local races have been selling out too.

Nice. In my home state (Montana, USA) we peaked in about. 2014. Since then about the majority of local races (~80%) have disappeared. Overall finishers in adding up from all the races across the state is down about 90%

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
local races are dying because everyone is all about ironman, and most the competitive athletes are going to long distance and avoiding shorter.
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon facing a drop in popularity? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Popularity for the sport will always ebb and flow, like many sports, but it is here to stay. For many it provides a physical challenge that most other mainstream sports can't offer i.e it's the pinnacle of endurance sports. There are many other sports and/or events that are way more challenging, but they're small, obscure races e.g Berkely marathon. There was a small period where things like Cross-fit and tough mudder really took off in Australia and some said would challenge triathlon, but that's been and gone. Pretty sure the Tough-mudder events are more or less gone and whilst Cross-fit may (not sure) still be popular in Australia, I don't see any mention of it on social media.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The sport on the whole is struggling. I know several NGB's are focusing on recruiting youngsters to the sport to combat the aging demographics and reduction to participation numbers.

IDK if triathlon returns to the glory days. tbd.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon facing a drop in popularity? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it sell out? or did it sell out.

2022 had 1355 participants.

2019 1396
2018 1146
2017 1461
2014 1700
2013 1577
2012 1510

Port Mac ranges in numbers from 1700 to low 1000's over the years. For both races they are well below the biggest numbers they have hosted in the ten years, suggesting the sell out is well maybe not a sell out in numbers it's with this many weeks to go no more entrants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When did the Toyota Cup end?

Peak non-draft popularity as it relates to racing series that paid out prize purses to pros was 2010ish? Lifetime left the Pro racing format in 2012. They killed their entire series of races to supposedly pivot to gravel at the end of 2018, LifeTime AZ in its last year had over 1k racers across all formats. So a popular race. Rev3 wasn't in AZ so no idea. Challenge North America was a flop in the mid-to late 2010s.

So maybe peak age group national racing was 2015-2016?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I definitely see it being less popular in my neck of the woods. For me personally, the time investment was no longer worth it (for full distance, that is). Cycling only, or running only (mostly trail), are so much more fun, and easier time wise, that I do not see myself ever going back to triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon facing a drop in popularity? [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
Did it sell out? or did it sell out.

2022 had 1355 participants.

2019 1396
2018 1146
2017 1461
2014 1700
2013 1577
2012 1510

Port Mac ranges in numbers from 1700 to low 1000's over the years. For both races they are well below the biggest numbers they have hosted in the ten years, suggesting the sell out is well maybe not a sell out in numbers it's with this many weeks to go no more entrants.

There's a 70.3 now at the same time, so numbers for the IM are lower. IMWA had 1355 and the 70.3 had 900, so 2200 out there racing. In 2014 there was no 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sure numbers will always fluctuate. I left for 5 years and am hoping to race for my 3rd consecutive year since coming back.

I do wonder if races would be more popular if they added a duathlon to race day. Once ppl started doing dus, they might be inspired to add swimming to their race day.

I'm surprised that I can't seem to find any duathlons around me...but I haven't looked real hard either.
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon facing a drop in popularity? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn’t we have this exact same discussion like 2 months ago? Lol.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon facing a drop in popularity? [theyellowcarguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
theyellowcarguy wrote:
Didn’t we have this exact same discussion like 2 months ago? Lol.
This place gets pretty crazy during the northern hemisphere off season,I mean,I can't believe they are still bitching about Sam Laidlow's non penalty ride in Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also add to this initial list participation in other niche endurance events. Feel like the kind of people who take on an Ironman are always looking for their next challenge. Maybe that's a trail running race or a gravel cycling race. Triathletes are helping smaller sports expand.
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon facing a drop in popularity? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
I am sure numbers will always fluctuate. I left for 5 years and am hoping to race for my 3rd consecutive year since coming back.

I do wonder if races would be more popular if they added a duathlon to race day. Once ppl started doing dus, they might be inspired to add swimming to their race day.

I'm surprised that I can't seem to find any duathlons around me...but I haven't looked real hard either.

I’ve also always been curious about the idea of adding a duathlon to IM. Every time I’ve done an IM, the part I dread the most is the swim training. Many triathletes, unless they are from a swim background, will tell you the same. I love the long distance cycling and running so I’d love to do the bike/run part of an IM, if given the chance. That also makes me curious why IM doesn’t provide more relay options so people can find an athlete who lives to swim while they do the bike and/or run. I was the cyclist for a relay team for a 70.3 and it was a lot of fun. I believe the only IM I’ve ever seen this done with is IMWA, and that was back in 2008
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon facing a drop in popularity? [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman Spain has a "Bike-Run" for both 140.6 and 70.3. So you end up with the wildest of draft fests with over 5k people on one road.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Statistically you are absolutely correct. I believe that the answer is to make grass-roots local races fun and inviting. However, they are not really profitable so it has to be driven by passion.

We are having some success with our http://www.SmileyTriathlonFestival.com where we combine a Sprint Tri with the http://www.KidsForKidsTriathlon.com (this is the 20th anniversary year!) for a triathlon weekend. Our Kid's race sells out, and our sprint race sets new records (modest number really) each year. I think we need to encourage, participate in, and help with grass roots efforts. This is how we can make our sport sustainable going forward. There was a nice ST article on the 1st year of our race - https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Them_All__7379.html . We thought 270 participants that 1st year was off the charts . . . last year we had ~380. I suspect the kids race will sell out faster and, due to a pool swim, we'll probably hit our 400 limit in the Sprint race.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon facing a drop in popularity? [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would be interested in the number of CrossFit numbers next to the triathlon numbers for same years. I expect we'd see CrossFit increase as Triathlon decreased.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
— Slowtwitch front page featuring articles about meat companies

So, kinda like Bicycling mag reviewing a pickup truck.

https://www.bicycling.com/...rd-lightning-review/

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jan 23, 23 6:14
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon facing a drop in popularity? [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcpinsonn wrote:
I would also add to this initial list participation in other niche endurance events. Feel like the kind of people who take on an Ironman are always looking for their next challenge. Maybe that's a trail running race or a gravel cycling race. Triathletes are helping smaller sports expand.

Everyone's doing Ultras now - add 5 miles to a marathon and you can put a 50K sticker/magnet on the family van

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Is triathlon facing a drop in popularity? [swimbikefly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimbikefly wrote:
First off ‘looming’ recession. Lol. We’re in a recession.

The changing financial climate should be number 1 on your list. It has trickle down effects on everything else.

Financial situation is number 1,2,3,4 etc. At the end of the day, Tri is fueled by discretionary spending. Things like:
- Consolidation of race companies, a lot less local tri’s at a fraction of Ironman costs
- Insane pricing of bikes. Three years ago, a gen2 Speed Concept could be had for $4000. A gen 3? 7k easy. Plus, lack of development of entry level aluminum tri bikes

Uncertain financial situation plus much higher cost of entry don’t help growth.
Quote Reply

Prev Next