Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM 70.3 GALVESTON 2023
Quote | Reply
 I am entered in the upcoming IM 70.3 in Galveston in April. Its has been several years since I have done any type of Triathlon. I did this event a few times about a decade ago. It was always fun and am looking forward to this one.

My brother who lives at San Luis Pass( along the bike route) received notification yesterday in his mailbox of the upcoming race next month pertaining to the road and bridge closures that will affect him. He was jacking with me about this Inconvenience that will only affect for a few hours. He lives on the Freeport side of San Luis Pass so he is not really affected to much. I thought it was a Good job on Ironman's part to notify residents almost a month in advance of this April race.

Anyway, looking forward to it. Appears to be around 2300 or so peeps signed up so far and think Registration is still open.

Who else is going to be there?

G Money
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 GALVESTON 2023 [gwk100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had only one good experience with this race after doing it several times so I stop doing it. Damn windy, cold, run was interrupted by stormā€¦ itā€™s just no fun. Most of all, itā€™s impossible for me to get in a wetsuit and practice OWS in March. Iā€™ve heard new pavement feels fantastic. Good luck!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 GALVESTON 2023 [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I had only one good experience with this race after doing it several times so I stop doing it. Damn windy, cold, run was interrupted by stormā€¦ itā€™s just no fun. Most of all, itā€™s impossible for me to get in a wetsuit and practice OWS in March. Iā€™ve heard new pavement feels fantastic. Good luck!!

Galveston coastal weather...you never know what you are going to get. I have been fortunate to get decent weather when I did these in the past.

I am most worried about being older now ( 60-69 age group) versus toeing the line was I was 45 or so. Definitely lost some speed, not that it was ever blazing, but have enjoyed getting back to training for these type events. I feel like my swim has actually improved but guess will find out for sure on April 2nd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am doing this race for the first time. It's also going to be my first 70.3 since 2015. I have heard mixed reviews from past participants, but most of the negatives center around bi-polar Texas spring time weather. I am looking forward to hopefully a good race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there and looking forward to it. This will be my 3rd time. And I guess I'm fortunate the last two, in '16 and '18 I believe, the weather was good. If not a little warm. It's a fun weekend. We're staying on site. Several friends going. Group dinner the evening prior. Can't wait.

cock-up before conspiracy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Local race for me, Iā€™ll be there. I think this will be #7

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there - it's a shakedown race for me and, having been dealing with some lower leg issues, I may pull the plug at the run. But looking forward to the race, nonetheless!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See you there! First race of seasonā€¦
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m going as a first timer as well. Anybody know what the swim leg there is like ?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 GALVESTON 2023 [TriSi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSi wrote:
Iā€™m going as a first timer as well. Anybody know what the swim leg there is like ?

Saltwater, mild ā€œwavesā€ at the furthest out but relatively calm for an ā€œoceanā€ bay swim.

Thereā€™s a nice riverboat ferry thing you can sight to see how far you are from the swim exit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have raced there 5-6 times and always find the swim slow. I can't really identify why but every single race, I come out of the water 2-3min slower than I expect or do in other 70.3s. Water is not too rough, and is salty, and most years, it is wetsuit legal.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 GALVESTON 2023 [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmā€¦maybe the distance is slightly longer? Or if there arenā€™t many buoys, it can be harder to swim the direct path.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My garmin has always shown slightly different distances some very long some not too much longer, and some of my early races I did not sight as well. Many of my mates have the same swim issues, feels long but doesn't always measure so.... My mental model is just relax with the time on the watch upon exiting and focus on the steps ahead, the bike and run are where the fun is!

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 GALVESTON 2023 [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
TriSi wrote:

Saltwater, mild ā€œwavesā€ at the furthest out but relatively calm for an ā€œoceanā€ bay swim.

Thereā€™s a nice riverboat ferry thing you can sight to see how far you are from the swim exit.

I was wondering if the Old Riverboat ferry thing was still there or not. I breath only to the left so the Swim course fits my breathing style with being able to sight using the Moody Pyramids and then the Old Ferry boat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriSi wrote:

Not sure if it's still the same, but you have to jump in and tread water for a while till the gun goes off for the age groupers. I usually wait a little and jump in so I don't have to tread water for a while. It's salt water with wet suit on, so pretty easy and not tiring. I think you will have tail wind swimming toward finish line. Wind usually picks up later, so if your age group starts early, that's good for you. No practice swim around swim starts a day before and race day. I saw people swim near Galveston bait & tackle a day before. There's a park. If you want to feel the water with a wetsuit on a day before, that could be the spot for you. Anyways, best of luck!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip! Will try to get in the water at bait and tackle before the race šŸ‘
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now the swim is self seated based on corrals like a marathon. You jump off a dock and start swimming. No longer tread water and deep water start.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 GALVESTON 2023 [1Wavemaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1Wavemaker wrote:
Now the swim is self seated based on corrals like a marathon. You jump off a dock and start swimming. No longer tread water and deep water start.

Yes, i just saw in the most recent Athlete Guide that was released stating it will be a " Rolling Start " for the swim.
I seem to remember it used to be an Age group start. Even thought each age group wore a different color swim cap back then to signify your age group. Could be wrong, that was long time ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gwk100 wrote:
1Wavemaker wrote:

Yes, i just saw in the most recent Athlete Guide that was released stating it will be a " Rolling Start " for the swim.
I seem to remember it used to be an Age group start. Even thought each age group wore a different color swim cap back then to signify your age group. Could be wrong, that was long time ago.

I did it the first five years it was a branded race and have also spectated three or four other times. I think there might have been a year where they had different colored caps for AGs but it's usually one color for men and one for women.

It was definitely an AG wave start swim up until very recently.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriSi wrote:
Thanks for the tip! Will try to get in the water at bait and tackle before the race šŸ‘

I was down at San Luis Pass yesterday and did a wet suit swim in my Brother's canal. Water looked warm with the Sun being out and all, but dang, my 1st response was, "WOW...this water is chilly". Not sure the exact temp, but felt like upper 60's to me. Only swam for about 20 minutes or so and by the time I got out, water felt awesome.

Been many years since I put the Xterra full suit on. Either the suit has shrunk or I got bigger. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Checked the water temp and itā€™s 66 today at Galveston beach. Hopefully will be ok with a wetsuit for 40 minutesā€¦ šŸ˜…
Last edited by: TriSi: Mar 26, 23 12:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriSi wrote:
Checked the water temp and itā€™s 66 today at Galveston beach. Hopefully will be ok with a wetsuit for 40 minutesā€¦ šŸ˜…

Water temp has never been a problem there. Very consistent and you can't beat buoyancy from salt water. I've always had good swim there. Actually, it could be the best part of the race for a lot of people. Can be choppy if wind is high, but bay area is still not that bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Water temp has never been a problem there. Very consistent and you can't beat buoyancy from salt water. I've always had good swim there. Actually, it could be the best part of the race for a lot of people. Can be choppy if wind is high, but bay area is still not that bad.[/quote]

The early weather forecast is showing good chance of rain on Sunday. Not a big fan of biking in the rain, but swim and run could be OK. Cloud cover on the run always helps. We will see on Sunday what we get from Weather Gods.
Last edited by: gwk100: Mar 29, 23 9:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gwk100 wrote:
The early weather forecast is showing good chance of rain on Sunday. Not a big fan of biking in the rain, but swim and run could be OK. Cloud cover on the run always helps. We will see on Sunday what we get from Weather Gods.

What pissed me off was it's always beautiful a day before race day during packet pick up. On the race day, there's always something going on. I've never had a clear sky, warm sunny day at Galveston 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

What pissed me off was it's always beautiful a day before race day during packet pick up. On the race day, there's always something going on. I've never had a clear sky, warm sunny day at Galveston 70.3.[/quote]

Guess I am due for a crappy weather day at Galveston 70.3. I seem to remember Sunny warm weather in 2012, 2013,etc. Definitely do not remember any rain back on those Sunday race days.

What I do remember is that I felt like dying while doing a HITS Triathlon Series race in Corpus Christi in February of 2012 due to the wind and cold. The water felt like the North Sea when we all took the plunge off the dock. Then the rain took its toll on me during the Bike portion. I was so numb by the time the run started, don't remember the run at all.
Quote Reply

Prev Next