Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hey Pros, stop pushing Ketones
Quote | Reply
There has definitely been a marketing blitz of late. While Ketones may be useful, it's my understanding they would be solely to the top 2-3% of athletes. And at what they cost, and taste like, it seems absurd for pros to encourage their YouTube faithful to part with hard earned dollars for something so nichely marginal. Despite the monetary motivation to do so. "Gains", of all sorts i.e. equipment, training, nutrition, have been repped since the beginning. This one just feels like "bending the tape" a bit - as Jeremy Powers likes to say in the cross coverage.

cock-up before conspiracy
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Pros, stop pushing Ketones [CNullATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did notice that in a few recent videos - feels extremely contrived to have a little bottle (or pile) of ketones strategically placed. I'd much rather see good brands of sports nutrition or something else that all athletes would need as a sponsor in videos.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Last edited by: natethomas: Jan 31, 23 13:30
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Pros, stop pushing Ketones [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like a bag of sugar from the store
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Pros, stop pushing Ketones [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ari Klau downing them like crazy in his last video was pretty comical. I'm not gonna give any of these guys/gals a hard time for making whatever money they can in this sport. There's so little money going around in triathlon that it doesn't bother me if they are hawking products that are only marginally beneficial at best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CNullATX wrote:
part with hard earned dollars for something so nichely marginal.

Let me tell you about the ridiculous bank people drop on bike gear to save a few grams of weight or a couple of watts...
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Pros, stop pushing Ketones [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree. 100%. But that's not ingesting something so unknown, if that's the word I'm looking for. And at times, it's carried some controversy. Not sure that I agree it should or where that goes.

Quote Reply
Re: Hey Pros, stop pushing Ketones [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just my n=1 but I've noticed zero benefit from them. Tried them off an on the past few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Asprey told me if I put ketone esters in my coffee I won’t need to fuel for an Ironman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ketones are the new Lactigo.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Pros, stop pushing Ketones [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
CNullATX wrote:
part with hard earned dollars for something so nichely marginal.

Let me tell you about the ridiculous bank people drop on bike gear to save a few grams of weight or a couple of watts...

Exactly! People are dropping loads of money on all kinds of things for marginal gains. Why should ketones be individually picked out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ketone esters like MH and TO promote are basically BHB and a PPAR antagonist. Specific
PPAR antagonist compounds are banned per WADA. BHB is a metabolic modulator per research papers and if BHB does what is stated in the papers (and what the pros say) I bet will be on WADA banned list soon.
Last edited by: scca_ita: Jan 31, 23 17:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I know is that it will be Sam Long’s secret weapon to make up for his swim deficit (not making fun of him), Lance swears they work and they increase EPO https://journals.physiology.org/...2/ajpendo.00264.2022[/url]
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Pros, stop pushing Ketones [Vertebrae6395] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vertebrae6395 wrote:
Ari Klau downing them like crazy in his last video was pretty comical. I'm not gonna give any of these guys/gals a hard time for making whatever money they can in this sport. There's so little money going around in triathlon that it doesn't bother me if they are hawking products that are only marginally beneficial at best.

I really like Aris videos. I didn’t like that segment. I fast forwarded it. I’m torn too and you make a good point they gotta make money. The couple.com thing is funny, the ketone one didn’t seem so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Pros, stop pushing Ketones [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah ketones seem to not have enough bang for the buck in my opinion using during exercise. I hear a lot of info about professionals using them but hard to tell how much is marketing and how much are actually seeing value. Pros pushing them doesn’t bother me, gotta make a buck.

I am following this research and if it turns out to be true, could be more interesting: https://www.mysportscience.com/...-esters-increase-epo

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Last edited by: theyellowcarguy: Jan 31, 23 19:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, this thread has made me more interested in researching Keytones than any pro that has mentioned them.

Streisand effect in action.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Pros, stop pushing Ketones [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same effect I got from beet juice. Nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't the Norwegians specifically call out Ketones on Rich Roll? Something about seeing other pros take them but that it may be counter-productive. Something about how inflammation is desirable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tribike53 wrote:
Vertebrae6395 wrote:

I really like Aris videos. I didn’t like that segment. I fast forwarded it. I’m torn too and you make a good point they gotta make money. The couple.com thing is funny, the ketone one didn’t seem so much.

Yep. I watched it because it was sort of adorable. I have a weakness for Ari and he has to hustle to survive, but if a PRO who has substantial money did this, I would unfollow them for snake oil salesmanship.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CNullATX wrote:
There has definitely been a marketing blitz of late. While Ketones may be useful, it's my understanding they would be solely to the top 2-3% of athletes. And at what they cost, and taste like, it seems absurd for pros to encourage their YouTube faithful to part with hard earned dollars for something so nichely marginal. Despite the monetary motivation to do so. "Gains", of all sorts i.e. equipment, training, nutrition, have been repped since the beginning. This one just feels like "bending the tape" a bit - as Jeremy Powers likes to say in the cross coverage.

This stuff is really not well understood. It has been very much in the margins of WADA legality for several years. Until this year most pro cycling teams and pro triathletes were very reluctant to admit to using it. Side effects are likely not well understood / communicated. Long term impacts for sure not well understood. Just shows that too many athletes are still ready to take whatever performance enhancing substances they can get away with. Plus, even if it does actually deliver some benefits this stuff is heinously expensive and it just makes the arms race at amateur level for those with deep pockets even harder to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it was definitely Ari's downing 4 in a day that put me over. I like Ari plenty. And 100% agree and appreciate the need for sponsorships. Pushing an exorbitantly expensive supposedly "significantly performance enhancing" supplement would not be one I would engage in. I mean if it helps like they're insinuating, that's probably not going to pass.

Quote Reply
Re: Hey Pros, stop pushing Ketones [cgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ketones probably don’t improve endurance performance. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC7442417/[/url] for a decent review.

Phil

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also please stop promoting non-alcoholic beer. Near Beer will not make the girl at the bar look any prettier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they didn’t cost more than printer ink I might have been suckered into at least trying one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is emerging evidence that suggests ingestion of ketones directly after exercise increases blood levels of EPO in the hours after exercise by a significant amount. The theory being that chronically ingesting ketones leads to having elevated EPO levels for a few hours/day which leads to greater RBC counts. To my knowledge there hasn't been a study yet that confirmed ketone ingestion actually increases RBC, but it seems worth looking into.

I agree that like any supplement the marketing is annoying, but I also think there is interesting side effects to this one that may actually be the intended effect.

https://www.mysportscience.com/...-esters-increase-epo
https://journals.physiology.org/...2/ajpendo.00264.2022
Quote Reply
Re: Hey Pros, stop pushing Ketones [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can confirm they don't work. Took lots of Keystones back in college and my athletic performance was absolute rubbish.
Quote Reply

Prev Next