Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with Gen 2 Speed Concept rear brake pads
Quote | Reply
I got my bike back from the shop a few months ago and haven't ridden it but 4 or 5 times since. I've done 99% of my riding this winter on my disc road bike on the trainer. I can't seem to get the rear brakes figured out. The pads on the drive side toe in (top part of pad) and the non drive side heel in. I've taken them off, tried to make adjustments and can't figure out what is going on.

I am aware of the adjustment screws on either side, but that only seems to push or pull them away from the rim. When the wheel spins, it rubs on the pads at both spots at different points based on a very slight shimmy. I would not say the wheel is out of true by any means. I should have taken a pic while it was in the stand-but I'm tired and going to bed...I can't get a good angle of the bike now.

Any tips?

Yes, I will take it back to shop (inconvenient...and I have a race in 2 weeks).

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Gen 2 Speed Concept rear brake pads [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
I got my bike back from the shop a few months ago and haven't ridden it but 4 or 5 times since. I've done 99% of my riding this winter on my disc road bike on the trainer. I can't seem to get the rear brakes figured out. The pads on the drive side toe in (top part of pad) and the non drive side heel in. I've taken them off, tried to make adjustments and can't figure out what is going on.

I am aware of the adjustment screws on either side, but that only seems to push or pull them away from the rim. When the wheel spins, it rubs on the pads at both spots at different points based on a very slight shimmy. I would not say the wheel is out of true by any means. I should have taken a pic while it was in the stand-but I'm tired and going to bed...I can't get a good angle of the bike now.

Any tips?

Yes, I will take it back to shop (inconvenient...and I have a race in 2 weeks).

Thanks

If they are similar to the gen 1 rear brakes, the pad holder stud/nuts have cone washers. You loosen the stud nut which allows positioning the pad along the rim. This also allows adjusting the heel/toe.

My understanding is that the gen 2 added the contact adjustment screws you mentioned, for gen 1 you actually have to add/remove washers from behind the pad holders to adjust the contact point.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Gen 2 Speed Concept rear brake pads [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take the rear wheel off, remove the speed fin, press the brake arms together by hand, and slide the brake wedge out, and leave it dangling. Now you see two M4 hex head bolts that hold the brake assembly to the frame. Loosen these two bolts, and adjust the bracket, so the brake sits perfectly centered.
While you are at it, check if both brass barrels that actuate the brake, spin freely. If not drip oil on them, and try to free them. (You can gently use needle nose pliers). They should spin easily!
Now loosen the brake pad holders, check if both cone washers are present, and ever so slightly tighten them back up. Put rear wheel back in, leave wedge out. Check alignment of pads. And pre adjust. Put wedge back in. Use the worm screws on both arms to tighten brake up, loosen brake pad bolts, adjust pads so they sit where you need them to be. Tighten brake pad holder bolts. Loosen worm screws evenly till you got good brake engagement, and all is centered.

Or … take it to the shop.

I love rim brake bikes!
Last edited by: DavidNeu: Apr 27, 24 6:57
Quote Reply
Re: Help with Gen 2 Speed Concept rear brake pads [DavidNeu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I'll definitely give this a shot!
Quote Reply