Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Erika Ackerlund fan club
Quote | Reply
Placed 15th at Yokohama WTCS this weekend.

Ranked 5th in WTCS overall.

Slowtwitch contributor.
Quote Reply
Re: Erika Ackerlund fan club [toddstr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toddstr wrote:
Placed 15th at Yokohama WTCS this weekend.

Ranked 5th in WTCS overall.

Slowtwitch contributor.

So, don't keep us in the dark, what's her ST handle???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes! Huge fan!

True story: Erika was the catalyst that turned my running hobby into a triathlon lifestyle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m always thrilled to see a Montanan do well on the world stage.

Some big shoes to live up to coming out of the University of Montana club program. But it wouldn’t surprise me if her career accolades in the tri world eventually surpass Ben Hoffman and Linsey Corbin

Matt
Last edited by: Chemist: May 14, 22 19:58
Quote Reply
Re: Erika Ackerlund fan club [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She has been writing some articles the past months, here is her latest on a training bloc:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...aining_Log_8316.html
Quote Reply
Re: Erika Ackerlund fan club [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
She has been writing some articles the past months, here is her latest on a training bloc:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...aining_Log_8316.html

Thanks Monty!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Erika has a monthly column that goes up. Usually I try to get them up closer to when submission but there are times where they make more sense closer to something (like in this case, where we could tie it to the actual race in Yokohama).

Occasionally I have a decent idea. This is one of those times, I think.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Erika Ackerlund fan club [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Erika has a monthly column that goes up. Usually I try to get them up closer to when submission but there are times where they make more sense closer to something (like in this case, where we could tie it to the actual race in Yokohama).

Occasionally I have a decent idea. This is one of those times, I think.

I'll have to start checking the front page more often. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or open the newsletter I code for your enjoyment each week. :P

Erika's rad. I'm super stoked to have her on board and fingers crossed we can keep her around for a while in the build towards 2024.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Or open the newsletter I code for your enjoyment each week. :P

Erika's rad. I'm super stoked to have her on board and fingers crossed we can keep her around for a while in the build towards 2024.

I do open it most of the time but somehow I have missed the articles on this aspiring pro's training.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Great, thanks!!! I'll read those later tonight but right now gotta mow the grass, then do my own workouts. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my handle! First time ever replying to a ST thread :)

thank you all for the support!
Quote Reply
Re: Erika Ackerlund fan club [eackerlund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eackerlund wrote:

Erika - I feel honored that you replied to me in your first post. It is very cool that you are racing the ITU circuit, where swimming really counts in the race. Being a swimmer by background, I love that!!! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I had missed a few of these articles, so thanks for posting. I really enjoyed them, especially the recent one describing a week of training. Thanks to this thread I now follow her on Strava, but a report like this that describes multiple workouts and offers extra description is really interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next stop Leeds, 4th installment of WTCS, on June 11 and 12.
Quote Reply
Re: Erika Ackerlund fan club [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was the goal of these -- give a different look at pro life, and create some new Erika fans.

Legitimately she is also the writer I have the least amount of editing I have to do for. Win for everyone!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI

the taxonomy as I understand it

World Triathlon Championship Series crowns the draft legal world champ. KB and Duffy won last year. Previous winners include usual suspects Mola, Gomez, Luis for the men. Likewise Qwen, GTB and Zaferes for the women.

World Cups are second tier events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to see you're still growing as a triathlete! I participated in a few races in the past where you also raced (The grizzly triathlon in Missoula, and the Bobcat in Bozeman). Quite a few years back, but already impressive at the time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eackerlund wrote:

Welcome! Maybe Ryan and Dan can get you to do an ask me anything after your next killer race.

Loved your last article about a week of training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
toddstr wrote:
FYI

the taxonomy as I understand it

World Triathlon Championship Series crowns the draft legal world champ. KB and Duffy won last year. Previous winners include usual suspects Mola, Gomez, Luis for the men. Likewise Qwen, GTB and Zaferes for the women.

World Cups are second tier events.

The names changed and got confusing with the switch from ITU to World Tri, but I believe the current hierarchy is as follows:

World Triathlon Championship Final (formerly Grand Final)/ World Triathlon Sprint & Mixed Tri Relay Champs (new as a separate event)
World Triathlon Championship Series (the overall world champ is crowned by series scoring, but with extra points on offer at the championship finals)
World Triathlon Cups
World Triathlon Continental Championships
World Triathlon Continental Cups
Regional Development events

You need to earn points at the lower events to get starts at the higher events, and need points from WTCS/WC/Conti Champs for the olympic qualification. So this time of the Olympic cycle, with qualification about to start for Paris, many are trying to rise through the pathway to make sure they earn points in the 1st of two qualifying windows (several countries, Australia and US/UK men, I'm looking at you, will be acutely aware of this, with the fate of the last extra berth largely being decided because of points being left on the table in window 1, and not being able to overcome points from other countries across the two combined). It's important to note that individuals don't earn olympic berths, countries do based on individual and MTR rankings. Individuals simply need to be ranked within a certain range (if memory serves it was top 180 in the olympic ranking for Tokyo) to be eligible for selection, each country lays out their basis of selection for assigning their quota spots (ranking, qualification events, MTR potential, discretion, etc.).

I know that Erika was having quite the bike difficulties at the end of last year, but still was managing to pull off results to bolster her rankings, so hopefully with that behind her she can further muddy the waters on the US Olympic selections giving USAT yet another legitimate threat... Two years out from any Olympics is always an exciting time on the World Tri circuit, to see the up & comers start to seriously disrupt the previous hierarchy and start to shape the landscape for the following couple of years of racing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool to have done a thesis on triathlete’s ability to follow race plans, Erika - way to follow your passion with your studies! Have you taken that work further? If you were part of your study today, as a now more experienced athlete, how would you fit your study’s outcomes?
Quote Reply
Re: Erika Ackerlund fan club [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:

I had missed a few of these articles, so thanks for posting. I really enjoyed them, especially the recent one describing a week of training. Thanks to this thread I now follow her on Strava, but a report like this that describes multiple workouts and offers extra description is really interesting.

Ditto, thanks for posting them all in the one place. Had read the first one but somehow missed the others. And thanks Erica for the insights into your World Triathlon life and training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the start list for WTCS Leeds today Saturday June 11.

Sprint distance.

Start time 1545 British something zone.

If you live in Duluth MN that means 0945.

Video available at TriathlonLIVE.tv

I can't tell you how to get that coverage because I have a pixie who figures it out for me.

Bib number 5. Because she is the 5th best triathlete in the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Men streaming now

Race hasn't started yet, they are tinkering with equipment in the transition area

Women next

Apparently I cannot convert from British somewhere time to local time

My best estimate now would be 1245 CST start for EA fans
Quote Reply

Prev Next