Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique my 70.3 Nutrition Plan
Quote | Reply
I'm getting ready to start an 18 week training plan for Waco 70.3, which will be my first. My current goal is to finish at or under 5:00, which I believe to be achievable, based on my running and cycling background, current fitness, and the training ahead of me. I realize nutrition is going to play a pretty important part of hitting my time, and want to make sure I have a well thought out plan and have enough time to practice it.

Height: 6'0"
Weight: 155 lbs.
FTP: Currently 231 measured from a Kickr/Zwift

Based on some training rides I've done recently, I plan on riding between 80% and 85% of my FTP, which puts me at 185 to 196 watts. I do expect my FTP to rise over the next 20 weeks.

This is course dependent, but my current target is to finish the bike leg between 2:30 and 2:45 (ideally 2:35), and have come up with the following nutrition plan:

Hour 1: Gu Roctane Cold Brew Coffee in T1, and at 30 minute intervals. 24oz. of Gatorade Endurance.
Hour 2: Two more Gu's, plus another 24oz. of Gatorade Endurance
Hour 3: (more like 30-45 minutes): another Gu + half of my third bottle of Gatorade Endurance.

In terms of carb and electrolyte intake per hour that works out to be:

Hour 1: 107g carbs and 975mg electrolytes
Hour 2: 86g carbs and 850mg electrolytes
Hour 3: 43g carbs and 425mg electrolytes
Total: 236g carbs and 2,250mg electrolytes (6 Gu's and 60oz. of fluid)

This goes without saying, but I will try this plan out on the bike at race pace, followed by some running.

One thing I'm not sure about is the caffeine intake. Is it beneficial to take in that much? For the entire bike ride that's 420mg of caffeine, and not having tested that much caffeine during longer rides I'm unsure of it's pros/cons, and would like to hear other's opinions on my current plan.

Quote Reply
Re: Critique my 70.3 Nutrition Plan [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why does your time stop at 2:45? Shouldn’t it go to 5hr?

Also, I’d divide your consumption routine into pre swim, T1, bike, T2, run.

My last 70.3 race I had about 1400-1600mg caffeine total, which seemed like the right amount for me. I don’t think 420mg is that much, I probably consume 500mg before the swim.

Get used to training with gels on the bike. You’ll get a better idea of caffeine consumption. I like my gels on the bike to be 100mg Clif gel Expresso and have a gel every 10mi. Are you going to have iced coffee on the bike?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Jun 9, 21 12:06
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my 70.3 Nutrition Plan [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
Why does your time stop at 2:45? Shouldn’t it go to 5hr?

Also, I’d divide your consumption routine into pre swim, T1, bike, T2, run.

My last 70.3 race I had about 1400-1600mg caffeine total, which seemed like the right amount for me. I don’t think 420mg is that much, I probably consume 500mg before the swim.

Get used to training with gels on the bike. You’ll get a better idea of caffeine consumption. I like my gels on the bike to be 100mg Clif gel Expresso and have a gel every 10mi. Are you going to have iced coffee on the bike?

I've never had great luck taking in gels while running. For reference, I was a college track/XC runner. My only nutrition on long runs was liquids. It's what I've always known and what I'm used to, so I want to make sure I'm taking full advantage of fueling on the bike (which is something I'm more comfortable with and have had plenty of practice). During the run I was planning on taking in hydration from on-course aid stations but at the moment wasn't planning on eating any gels.

And no, not iced coffee, it's just a flavor of Gu Roctane that has extra caffeine.
Last edited by: Th4ddy: Jun 9, 21 12:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh ok yeah those are 70mg gels - yeah I think you could load up on those on the bike. I don’t really have a lot of gels running either.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take something pre swim. Think about it, you'll be in the water for 30 - 40 minutes exerting yourself without the ability to take anything on.

Texas weather is unpredictable to put it mildly. October could be beautiful, it could be 95, or it could be 60. If it's hot, consider leaving a bottle fluids during T1 instead of a gel. If you're feeling hungry it's too late. Aim to finish a bottle every 40 minutes on the bike if it's hot out. This means taking three bottles or grabbing one at a rest break. I also tried to take an SIS gel every 30 - 40 minutes as well. I know my stomach does not tolerate liquids well while running so I wanted to be well hydrated before starting the run.

There are plenty of aid stations on the run. Use these often.

The issue with gu and gels in general is it's all or nothing. It's often easier on the GI system to take in little and often rather than a full gel then nothing for 45 minutes. It's often hard to eat to much, it's easy to eat too little.

As for the person who said they take 1600mg caffeine - thats a shedload. Remember caffeine is a diuretic and vasoconstrictor which limits bloodflow. Try out different doses first to see how you feel with it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The night before and the morning of, load up on sodium. Depends how much you sweat, but I do 2 scoops of base salt and 2 nuun tabs in a 12oz water bottle. Drink one at night, one in the morning. It’s just about 1200mg. I sweat a lot, I haven’t done a sweat test but my gear is always caked with white so I suspect my salt concentration is high too.

When you’re walking to swim start, have a gel. Get a bottle of water and sip on it while you’re waiting. Water helps the gel absorb into your cells easier.

We’re pretty close in weight. My last 70.3 I finished in 2:33. I had a BTA and 2 bottles BTS, each bottle had my drink mix of about 240-250 calories. I use e-fuel from crank sports. Because of potential heat, I added 1 scoop of base salt as well to each bottle. I don’t like gels on the bike. Keep in mind that you need water with each gel to make sure it gets absorbed efficiently. But liquid nutrition, it’s already built in. Get in 1 bottle per hour, 240-250 cal per hour is what you should be aiming for.

In T2 I have a gel flask with 2 gels already squeezed into it. I rip and eat another gel on my way out of T2, and then try to grab some water at the first aid station. At 45 min I take half of what’s in the gel flask. And then 45 min later I take the rest. The gels are also from crank sports, e-gels, and they are about 150 cal ea. And I target about 180 cal per hour.

I wasn’t expecting a fast run (1:52). if I was in better shape and planned on being under 1:40, I would only take 2 gels that I have in the flask with me. First half of the flask in the first 15 min, and then the 2nd half 45 min later.

This has worked really well for me. I don’t have to mess with gels on the bike, or trying to hit aid stations. By drink is right in front of me with a straw, and when BTA gets emptied, I just refill it with one of the bottles behind me and keep trucking.
Last edited by: TJP_SBR: Jun 9, 21 17:36
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my 70.3 Nutrition Plan [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You probably never did 5hrs of continuous exercise at that intensity (average), don't underestimate what your higher HR for multiple hours will do to your digestive system. While i can take GU gels for a 2 hrs workout, i can't take 4-6 of them for a 70.3. Also, transitions are a messy place, i will not bother trying to remember food on top of every thing else.

Personally, i will eat a bar in T0, 3 gels + 1-2 bar on the bike, 1 gel on the run. Last gel will be probably 45mins before end of run.

That been said, nutrition is the 4th discipline of long distance triathlon, choices are very personal but they make a big difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I tried Alex Hutchinson plan supplemented with Maurten gels for my last 70.3 and had zero GI distress. I aimed for 100g carbs/ hr on the bike with as much water and electrolytes I can get in as I am a heavy sweater.

Run is what ever sounds good which is typically water and Gatorade and eventually coke.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my 70.3 Nutrition Plan [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StormATL wrote:
Take something pre swim. Think about it, you'll be in the water for 30 - 40 minutes exerting yourself without the ability to take anything on.

Texas weather is unpredictable to put it mildly. October could be beautiful, it could be 95, or it could be 60. If it's hot, consider leaving a bottle fluids during T1 instead of a gel. If you're feeling hungry it's too late. Aim to finish a bottle every 40 minutes on the bike if it's hot out. This means taking three bottles or grabbing one at a rest break. I also tried to take an SIS gel every 30 - 40 minutes as well. I know my stomach does not tolerate liquids well while running so I wanted to be well hydrated before starting the run.

There are plenty of aid stations on the run. Use these often.

The issue with gu and gels in general is it's all or nothing. It's often easier on the GI system to take in little and often rather than a full gel then nothing for 45 minutes. It's often hard to eat to much, it's easy to eat too little.

As for the person who said they take 1600mg caffeine - thats a shedload. Remember caffeine is a diuretic and vasoconstrictor which limits bloodflow. Try out different doses first to see how you feel with it
Yes, I forgot to mention that since the race is scheduled for a 12pm start, I'll have time to eat a nice big breakfast, hydrate, and eat a bar or gel before the swim. I'm also fortunate that I get to train in hotter and more humid weather than Waco, so it'll most likely be cooler on race day from where I've been training. Thanks for the suggestions.

TJP_SBR wrote:
The night before and the morning of, load up on sodium. Depends how much you sweat, but I do 2 scoops of base salt and 2 nuun tabs in a 12oz water bottle. Drink one at night, one in the morning. It’s just about 1200mg. I sweat a lot, I haven’t done a sweat test but my gear is always caked with white so I suspect my salt concentration is high too.

When you’re walking to swim start, have a gel. Get a bottle of water and sip on it while you’re waiting. Water helps the gel absorb into your cells easier.

We’re pretty close in weight. My last 70.3 I finished in 2:33. I had a BTA and 2 bottles BTS, each bottle had my drink mix of about 240-250 calories. I use e-fuel from crank sports. Because of potential heat, I added 1 scoop of base salt as well to each bottle. I don’t like gels on the bike. Keep in mind that you need water with each gel to make sure it gets absorbed efficiently. But liquid nutrition, it’s already built in. Get in 1 bottle per hour, 240-250 cal per hour is what you should be aiming for.

In T2 I have a gel flask with 2 gels already squeezed into it. I rip and eat another gel on my way out of T2, and then try to grab some water at the first aid station. At 45 min I take half of what’s in the gel flask. And then 45 min later I take the rest. The gels are also from crank sports, e-gels, and they are about 150 cal ea. And I target about 180 cal per hour.

I wasn’t expecting a fast run (1:52). if I was in better shape and planned on being under 1:40, I would only take 2 gels that I have in the flask with me. First half of the flask in the first 15 min, and then the 2nd half 45 min later.

This has worked really well for me. I don’t have to mess with gels on the bike, or trying to hit aid stations. By drink is right in front of me with a straw, and when BTA gets emptied, I just refill it with one of the bottles behind me and keep trucking.

I'm probably similar, in that I'm a heavy sweater. Always been caked with salt after my runs and rides. I had been planning on carb loading the few days before the race, but also intaking more sodium the night of is something I'll note down in my "run book". I will need to experiment with taking a gel after a hard ride and before a run. I've gone sub 1:10 for 13.1 many times, and would love to be around 1:30 to 1:35 in Waco. I think it's possible if I can fuel and hydrate well on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my 70.3 Nutrition Plan [hueby416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hueby416 wrote:
Well I tried Alex Hutchinson plan supplemented with Maurten gels for my last 70.3 and had zero GI distress. I aimed for 100g carbs/ hr on the bike with as much water and electrolytes I can get in as I am a heavy sweater.

Run is what ever sounds good which is typically water and Gatorade and eventually coke.

I actually experimented a bit with his homemade drink mixtures, but in the end decided to stick with Gatorade Endurance since it'll be on the course. I suppose it couldn't hurt to up the mixture of my Endurance to increase the carbs I'm taking in from my liquids. An extra scoop and a half would add 22g, and I do that to two of my three bottles that brings my hourly carb average to about 100. I would also much prefer to drink the carbs instead of eating them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced 70.3 Cairns last week and followed Dr Alex's advice for the ride and had my best race ever in terms of finish time, sticking to nutrition plan, and GI comfort. My overall intake for the day was:

Sandwhich with nutella for breakfast straight after waking, about 3 hours before race.
Sipped a standard bottle of gatorade over the next two hours.
One caffeinated GU gel and 400mg caffeine capsules 30min before race.
On the bike I had a BTA bottle made up with two scoops of staminade and then white sugar and table salt to make up to 100g carbs and 1000mg sodium per hour. I had a BTS bottle and Shiv bladder with straight water which I took in around 800ml per hour.
On the run I had caffeinated GU gels at the 7km and 14km marks and sipped water at the aid stations.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my 70.3 Nutrition Plan [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This weekend I was able to do a test of my nutrition plan. I started at what I figured could be the lower end of carb consumption per hour. Rode for two hours at a NP that was 86% of my FTP. I took in two Gu gels per hour plus 24oz of Gatorade Endurance. Ended up being 88g/carbs per hour and 850mg of sodium. I had some mild cramping towards the end of the ride, but it wasn't bad and could have easily run through that pain no problem. I'm going to start incorporating some Clif Blok's, as they're another good source of carbs and sodium that I can spread out through the entire ride.

The benefit of training in southeast Texas is that it should be hotter and more humid than the race conditions. I expect to need more fluid ounces and sodium to make it through the summer compared to the conditions I'll face in Waco this October.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best made plans...

My advice, even after you have this figured out, practice with what the course offers anyway. First, maybe you'll love it which makes your life easier. Second, it's your bottle ejection plan.

It happens, Gorilla cages or not, it happens. So know what your on course options are top make up for the calories/caffeine.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my 70.3 Nutrition Plan [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
The best made plans...

My advice, even after you have this figured out, practice with what the course offers anyway. First, maybe you'll love it which makes your life easier. Second, it's your bottle ejection plan.

It happens, Gorilla cages or not, it happens. So know what your on course options are top make up for the calories/caffeine.

On course nutrition is still Endurance correct? I've always been a firm believer that "one is none and two is one". So come race day, I'll have extra Gu/Bloks on my bike or in my kit. I did spring for the Gorilla cages, but suppose it would be fitting that race day is also bottle launch day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha, I like it.

Sounds like a pretty good plan then! And yes it's still Endurance at the races I've been to this year.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my 70.3 Nutrition Plan [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a link to this advice/plan that you refer to?
Quote Reply