Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Budget tri suit?
Quote | Reply
Up until now, I've only been participating in a regular wetsuit/swimsuit, bike shorts and a T/jersey. But this year I'm stepping up my game with some half dozen tris including IMAZ in November so I'm looking at a dedicated tri suit. But the reality is I am at best a middle-of-the-pack age grouper on a limited budget. I see suits for $300 and $400 and that doesn't just blow my budget, it nukes it from space (only way to be sure). I'm not looking for the absolute cheapest thing out there. I could always go on Amazon and get some really cheap crap from China for <$40. I don't want to do that but I kind of need to keep it at $100 or less. I could probably stretch it to $150 if someone could make a really convincing argument as to why, but that's beside the point.

Back to Amazon. Personally, I hate shopping there because Jeff already has plenty of money, but it's just the best resource for, well, pretty much anything you could want.

Right now I'm looking at one from Sparx that gets pretty good reviews and it's only $50.

I also see one from Kona that's within the budget. It only has a few reviews, most of which are good but one pretty much trashes the product.

They also list a Synergy suit that's more than what I *want* to spend, but not a budget buster.

There's some brand called SLS3, which I've never heard of.

I do see some Zoot suits I would consider, even though they're well over my preferred price range. But the biggest thing with the Zoot suits I see is the colors. I can generally work around a lot, but I do not want to wear a dark color out here. Might as well be wearing a thermal in the middle of summer.

Of course, there are the dozens of Chinese knock offs that are of *questionable* quality.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Sparx just to see if I see a value in it. If I like it, I can always upgrade later and just use this one for training. If I don't really see a value, I'm only out $50 and I can still just use it for training. The other option is the Synergy, even though it's more than what I really want to spend, but it would likely be a one-and-done purchase. Unless I determine I just can no longer compete without a tri suit.

If you guys have any personal experience with any of these brands, or you have suggestions of brands within my budget range I don't know about, please enlighten me.
Quote Reply
Re: Budget tri suit? [VegasJen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week I was chasing the Zoot tri suit listed below. I did a search and found the cheapest store with the suit on special in the UK which had reasonable postage. They even offered me a %10 discount if I signed up to their mailing list and basically covered my postage. I see listed as $97 for you in the US so find a suit you like and then go the good old google search... I see Brownlee a sponsored athlete was basically wearing the same model in Singapore a few weeks ago and not what I thought would be Zoot's marque style with the front that opens up.

HUUB Commit Long Course Mens Tri Suit - Yellow – Start Fitness
Quote Reply
Re: Budget tri suit? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the post. I did find a women's suit I liked but I haven't been able to find it here stateside. I went to the US website and it doesn't list anything for tri suits. At least not for women. Searching elsewhere now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My n=1: I bought some Sparx trishorts and they did not work well. The material was average, but the pad stitching was poorly done and used a very abrasive nylon thread (like fishing line) that chafed horribly (a problem I've never had with any other brand). I ran 5mi in them and was bleeding by the end.

If you are doing an IM in this suit you need something that isn't going to have issues; I'd recommend sticking with well established brands. My go to is eBay. There are lots of unused suits that stores are getting out of inventory or ones people bought and never used at reasonable prices (ex: https://www.ebay.com/itm/226099991931 ).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore SLS3 for years, and they are legit. No negative issues. I also wore their aero bike helmet. The guy who runs the company is an active triathlete, and they also have a Strava group. Get on their mailing list, as they have insane blowout sales every now and then, for close out stuff. I got my favorite trisuit from one of those sales for $29

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Apr 22, 24 22:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been rocking a 2XU tri suit since 2019 and have worn it in 3-4 events (plus another 2-3 training sessions) per year since. It hasn't skipped a beat and still fits/is just as comfortable as the first time. I will admit I got the higher end suit (on sale) for around $220, but they have a lower end suit for under 200 (probably more if you shop around/wait for a sale). Obviously I can't recommend that one personally but from a brand perspective I wouldn't have an issue suggesting it.

I would say if you're planning half a dozen events this year and plan on continuing for years to come this would probably be something I would spend a few extra $ on. Not much point on cheaping out and spending <$100 only to find it doesn't fit right, or that the chamois is so crap you can't ride your bike for more than an hour without pain, or falls apart the first time you wash it etc etc. Like I said, my higher end suit is 4 seasons deep (~$55 per season) and doesn't look like slowing down any time soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about something like this:

https://kiwamitri.com/...=9434d0af4&_ss=c

Their whole ladies trisuit line:

https://kiwamitri.com/...;filter.v.price.lte=
Last edited by: jaretj: Apr 23, 24 3:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd prepared a long post, but then my browser crashed. I'll be brief now...

1. Trisuit is critical. Its value for money is top tier, equal to tires. Trisuit gives you speed & comfort, while tires give you speed & safety.

2. Don't but any knock-offs or no-names from Amazon. There're plenty of Aliexpress items there, and I wouldn't buy the Aliexpress-level trisuit. I would happily buy other items, like e.g. accessories.

3. Go visit online shops like sigmasports, bike24, wiggle or tradeinn and look for discounts. Search for a sleeved (potentially aero) trisuit from castelli, 2xu, zone3, dhb, huub, zoot. You might be lucky and, depending on your size, find a 50% discounted item in the area of 60-200 USD. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Budget tri suit? [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:

1. Trisuit is critical. Its value for money is top tier, equal to tires. Trisuit gives you speed & comfort, while tires give you speed & safety.

2. Don't but any knock-offs or no-names from Amazon. There're plenty of Aliexpress items there, and I wouldn't buy the Aliexpress-level trisuit. I would happily buy other items, like e.g. accessories.

3. Go visit online shops like sigmasports, bike24, wiggle or tradeinn and look for discounts. Search for a sleeved (potentially aero) trisuit from castelli, 2xu, zone3, dhb, huub, zoot. You might be lucky and, depending on your size, find a 50% discounted item in the area of 60-200 USD. Good luck.

100% agreed. I can think of few places worse to cut corners than the tri suit. A cheap suit is going to be slower aerodynically, hotter on the run, more restrictive on the swim, itchy and chafy all day, and leave you with saddle sores and rubs from the sandpaper chamois. All in all it's a quick way to take a tri from fun/hard to miserable. Trust me I've used crappy suits.

Not to gatekeep, but triathlon is not a cheap sport. If moving from a $100 suit to a $400 suit "nukes your budget from space" then it's time to review your tri budget. A suit will realistically last ~3 seasons, call it $100/season. Other season coasts include "half a dozen tris" which I'll assume is maybe 4x 70.3's ($400*4=$1600) + 1 local race ($150) + IMAZ ($1000) = $2750 just in race entry. Driving to every single race + 1 night hotel minimum = 6*~$250=$1500. Consumables like tires, run shoes, tubes, gatorade, extra pop tarts, pool fees, al easily add up to $1000/yr. Total minimum budget = $5,250/yr. Even the most expensive $400 suit is setting you back a mere 7% of your budget if you replace it every year.

Given the choice I'd do one less race and use those funds to buy a good suit. Quality ones (as said above) can be found for ~$200. You can either buy it now or use an Amazon suit for your first race. Then buy a real suit later after losing a miserable race day and $40 for a junk suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last thing I would budget in an IM is kit. It’s a long day no matter how fast you are. Comfort is king.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a suit from The Black Bibs for a while. It's a comfortable suit, but the pockets suck, the head hole was unusually large, and the material is all spandex (i.e., no aero fabric texture on the sleeves like higher end suits use). It's a good suit for the money though. Much better than Aliexpress/Sparx.

I've since switched to a Nopinz suit that was on sale for around ~$150 shipped to the US. It's definitely more comfortable and has more features, but list price is more expensive when not on sale (over $200 shipped).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it need to be a new (never worn) suit?
All the team Zoot athletes usually have to get new stuff every season, so the older designs pop up for sale on various marketplace triathlon sites all the time, mostly reasonably priced, and often just worn once or twice.
I’m a big fan of the Zoot stuff. Great materials, great fit, well thought through, and fairly durable.
Ok, sometimes the color schemes can be a little, ah questionable. But that’s personal preference I guess.
I’m not a team Zoot athlete, but my wife is, and I got to love their gear. Average age grouper here as well.
What size are you looking for? Maybe I can convince my wife to rummage through her stuffed closet. Haha

I love rim brake bikes!
Last edited by: DavidNeu: Apr 23, 24 10:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it helps, code USAT2024 should get you 20% off at Zoot.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Budget tri suit? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
I wore SLS3 for years, and they are legit. No negative issues. I also wore their aero bike helmet. The guy who runs the company is an active triathlete, and they also have a Strava group. Get on their mailing list, as they have insane blowout sales every now and then, for close out stuff. I got my favorite trisuit from one of those sales for $29
Thanks for the heads up. I will keep that in mind.
Quote Reply
Re: Budget tri suit? [Kingy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kingy wrote:
I've been rocking a 2XU tri suit since 2019 and have worn it in 3-4 events (plus another 2-3 training sessions) per year since. It hasn't skipped a beat and still fits/is just as comfortable as the first time. I will admit I got the higher end suit (on sale) for around $220, but they have a lower end suit for under 200 (probably more if you shop around/wait for a sale). Obviously I can't recommend that one personally but from a brand perspective I wouldn't have an issue suggesting it.

I would say if you're planning half a dozen events this year and plan on continuing for years to come this would probably be something I would spend a few extra $ on. Not much point on cheaping out and spending <$100 only to find it doesn't fit right, or that the chamois is so crap you can't ride your bike for more than an hour without pain, or falls apart the first time you wash it etc etc. Like I said, my higher end suit is 4 seasons deep (~$55 per season) and doesn't look like slowing down any time soon.
I'll keep an eye open for that brand. This is the kind of experience I'm looking for.
Quote Reply
Re: Budget tri suit? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

I checked out the site, found a couple I like. Still shopping but those are in the running.
Quote Reply
Re: Budget tri suit? [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:

Thanks for the leads. Part of the problem is I really don't know where else to look, and that was part of my motivation for the original post. I really don't want to shop Amazon if there are other outlets better suited to the market.

I suspect that, right now, the problem is that I've started shopping at the beginning of the season. I probably would have been better off shopping 4-5 months ago. Probably was a bit more clearance stuff out there then.
Quote Reply
Re: Budget tri suit? [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
100% agreed. I can think of few places worse to cut corners than the tri suit. A cheap suit is going to be slower aerodynically, hotter on the run, more restrictive on the swim, itchy and chafy all day, and leave you with saddle sores and rubs from the sandpaper chamois. All in all it's a quick way to take a tri from fun/hard to miserable. Trust me I've used crappy suits.

Not to gatekeep, but triathlon is not a cheap sport. If moving from a $100 suit to a $400 suit "nukes your budget from space" then it's time to review your tri budget. A suit will realistically last ~3 seasons, call it $100/season. Other season coasts include "half a dozen tris" which I'll assume is maybe 4x 70.3's ($400*4=$1600) + 1 local race ($150) + IMAZ ($1000) = $2750 just in race entry. Driving to every single race + 1 night hotel minimum = 6*~$250=$1500. Consumables like tires, run shoes, tubes, gatorade, extra pop tarts, pool fees, al easily add up to $1000/yr. Total minimum budget = $5,250/yr. Even the most expensive $400 suit is setting you back a mere 7% of your budget if you replace it every year.

Given the choice I'd do one less race and use those funds to buy a good suit. Quality ones (as said above) can be found for ~$200. You can either buy it now or use an Amazon suit for your first race. Then buy a real suit later after losing a miserable race day and $40 for a junk suit.
You make a good point about total expenses... for normal people. But I'm one of those people who drive to most events and sleep in my car before the race. Not that it makes your point any less valid, but maybe does alter the value/expense ratio a bit. Plus, I pack a cooler with a bunch of stuff from home, I will often run tires on training rides until the contact surface is thinner than the sidewall. But IMAZ is the one big expense this year. No 70.3s. Only one other race not local to me (Santa Barbara) and that's the only one that's over $200. Everything else is low $100 or less. Several put on by my local tri club are included in the membership cost. For my six or seven events, my annual expense is probably less than half of your estimate.

Again, not that it makes your point any less valid. It's just how I trim expenses in a hobby that is both very expensive and difficult to justify to myself. When I say that, I've already admitted I'm not winning any awards or cash prizes here. So anything that makes me faster is really kind of a lost cause in the scheme of things. Really, what's the difference between finishing in 7th or 8th place in my age group? Is it worth an extra couple hundred dollars? For me, so long as I cross that finish line before the cut off, that's really the goal. Cutting time off in transition is all but meaningless to me. Gear that makes the ride more tolerable while not interfering with the run, that's an expense worth considering.
Quote Reply
Re: Budget tri suit? [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
The last thing I would budget in an IM is kit. It’s a long day no matter how fast you are. Comfort is king.
And that's where I am now. I'm willing to give it a try, not to make me faster, but keep me more comfortable, especially in events with longer bike routes.
Quote Reply
Re: Budget tri suit? [DavidNeu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidNeu wrote:
Does it need to be a new (never worn) suit?
All the team Zoot athletes usually have to get new stuff every season, so the older designs pop up for sale on various marketplace triathlon sites all the time, mostly reasonably priced, and often just worn once or twice.
I’m a big fan of the Zoot stuff. Great materials, great fit, well thought through, and fairly durable.
Ok, sometimes the color schemes can be a little, ah questionable. But that’s personal preference I guess.
I’m not a team Zoot athlete, but my wife is, and I got to love their gear. Average age grouper here as well.
What size are you looking for? Maybe I can convince my wife to rummage through her stuffed closet. Haha
I appreciate the offer but it's a long shot, unless your wife is a bigger girl. I often lament the fact that I do this stuff not because I have a naturally athletic build, but in spite of my build. Looking at most sizing charts I feel I could probably fit a large, but would try XL just to be safe. Biggest problem is I'm "top heavy" thanks to my vanity and plastic surgeon some time back.

I've been looking at Zoot and other brands. You're right about the colors though. I did find a Zoot suit that is almost exactly what I want at a price point within my budget, but OMG the colors are horrible. It's so bad it almost upsets my stomach just looking at it.

The thing I really want is a suit that has short sleeves. I don't want full sleeves, but I also don't want sleeveless. Mainly because I don't want to need the fuss of sunblock on my back/shoulders in transition. I got the crap burned out of me a couple years ago in Santa Barbara. Bad enough that I learned a lesson about sun exposure. I am considering a couple of sleeveless options. Although not my preference, the price is within the budget, and at least the rest of the back isn't open.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found this one the other night and I thought hard about pulling the trigger. They had my size and the price was right, but I thought I would sleep on it. Two days later and it's out of stock. Go figure.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/...524/?color=bluegreen

Anyone have any experience with that brand? I did put in a request to notify me if they get any more in stock. It fits a lot of my criteria - price, color, size, etc. Kind of wish I had jumped on it the other night but oh well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check your DMs
Quote Reply
Re: Budget tri suit? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Last week I was chasing the Zoot tri suit listed below. I did a search and found the cheapest store with the suit on special in the UK which had reasonable postage. They even offered me a %10 discount if I signed up to their mailing list and basically covered my postage. I see listed as $97 for you in the US so find a suit you like and then go the good old google search... I see Brownlee a sponsored athlete was basically wearing the same model in Singapore a few weeks ago and not what I thought would be Zoot's marque style with the front that opens up.

HUUB Commit Long Course Mens Tri Suit - Yellow – Start Fitness

This is a very different suit to what Brownlee is wearing.
This long course suit is Huub’s cheapest option with no aero focussed fabrics particularly around the shoulders.
Then there is the Anemoi line which is more aero focused. These come in a version for Sub & above 22 mph version.
Brownlee & most Huub sponsored athletes are in a new tech suit called the Sub7 suit which use twin layer fabric "Aero-Bridge". Ribbed underneath and smooth on top. This is used by lots of world tour riders in cycling and is considered the fastest style at the moment.

Full-time Engineer / Part-time Pro Triathlete
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/benwgoodfellow/
Strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/3085032
Website - https://benwgoodfellow.wixsite.com/bengoodfellow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:
jaretj wrote:

I checked out the site, found a couple I like. Still shopping but those are in the running.

Kiwami is the only tri suit I'll race in. I haven't tried the other brands in years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VegasJen wrote:
mathematics wrote:

You make a good point about total expenses... for normal people. But I'm one of those people who drive to most events and sleep in my car before the race. Not that it makes your point any less valid, but maybe does alter the value/expense ratio a bit. Plus, I pack a cooler with a bunch of stuff from home, I will often run tires on training rides until the contact surface is thinner than the sidewall. But IMAZ is the one big expense this year. No 70.3s. Only one other race not local to me (Santa Barbara) and that's the only one that's over $200. Everything else is low $100 or less. Several put on by my local tri club are included in the membership cost. For my six or seven events, my annual expense is probably less than half of your estimate.

Again, not that it makes your point any less valid. It's just how I trim expenses in a hobby that is both very expensive and difficult to justify to myself. When I say that, I've already admitted I'm not winning any awards or cash prizes here. So anything that makes me faster is really kind of a lost cause in the scheme of things. Really, what's the difference between finishing in 7th or 8th place in my age group? Is it worth an extra couple hundred dollars? For me, so long as I cross that finish line before the cut off, that's really the goal. Cutting time off in transition is all but meaningless to me. Gear that makes the ride more tolerable while not interfering with the run, that's an expense worth considering.

That's some serious cost cutting! Consider me impressed.

If time/placing is low on the list then maybe the move is just bike shorts/jersey that you can wear in training as well. A very nice pair of shorts and a crappy jersey is going to be more comfortable than a trisuit. Slower, but cheaper. Bike shorts are better than trisuits for biking, and run shorts are better than trisuits for running.
Quote Reply

Prev Next