Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Business Travel Wear
Quote | Reply
Who flies for business and how to do you dress for the travel?

I'm on business travel this week and was contacted by the group coordinator (The business version of Julie) to meet everyone for dinner last night. Typical steakhouse affair. I did not have time to go to the hotel to change, not that I considered it anyway, and showed up in blue Jeans and a button down collared shirt, and Dock Martins. I was dressed like the average person in the restaurant, but way underdressed for the group. I asked and everyone had traveled dressed like that. They were surprised I didn't.

I thought that went out in the 60's. Not my first rodeo by any means, but the first time I attended an official gathering before the actual meetings started. I'm in my normal suit and tie today.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Business Travel Wear [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If not planning on a work meeting that day, same thing I wear for personal travel. Jeans and a nicer t-shirt or polo. Our senior execs dress similar to how you would expect them to for personal travel as well.

Dressing to represent the company during travel went out decades ago. The only reason is if you happen to run into a customer in the queue at the gate and my customers are pretty casual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jean, trainers and a t-shirt. I travel most weeks. Never wear work wear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much less travel since covid-19. What used to be travel for business has shifted to virtual / online.

When I did travel for work -- i.e. defined as business is paying, and travel is during work hours, I'd dress like I'm at work ('cos I kinda am). That outfit is biz casual. Sport coat, button down shirt, .... dark/black jeans. It was also easier to wear the sport coat than to fold/pack it. And jackets look better w/button down shirts than over a t-shirt. And if I ever got pulled into a meeting w/out time to change, I'm not awkwardly under dressed. If travel was after hours, e.g. red-eye flights, then I'd go casual as it's unlikely to need be "dressed" for biz.

I wouldn't do biz travel in the same garb I would for vacation/personal travel. Which typically includes a baseball cap.
Quote Reply
Re: Business Travel Wear [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
Much less travel since covid-19. What used to be travel for business has shifted to virtual / online.

When I did travel for work -- i.e. defined as business is paying, and travel is during work hours, I'd dress like I'm at work ('cos I kinda am). That outfit is biz casual. Sport coat, button down shirt, .... dark/black jeans. It was also easier to wear the sport coat than to fold/pack it. And jackets look better w/button down shirts than over a t-shirt. And if I ever got pulled into a meeting w/out time to change, I'm not awkwardly under dressed. If travel was after hours, e.g. red-eye flights, then I'd go casual as it's unlikely to need be "dressed" for biz.

I wouldn't do biz travel in the same garb I would for vacation/personal travel. Which typically includes a baseball cap.

Based on your rule I was dressed correctly. That is what I wear to the office, unless I have a customer scheduled.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeans (denim or khaki), button-down shirt or polo, maybe a light sweater depending on time of year. Casual shoes/boots.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
40-Tude wrote:

Based on your rule I was dressed correctly. That is what I wear to the office, unless I have a customer scheduled.

Sounds like your peers dressed for the dinner event and/or treated that like a customer-is-present standard, or knew there's no time to change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:

I'm on business travel this week and was contacted by the group coordinator (The business version of Julie) to meet everyone for dinner last night. Typical steakhouse affair. I did not have time to go to the hotel to change, not that I considered it anyway, and showed up in blue Jeans and a button down collared shirt, and Dock Martins. I was dressed like the average person in the restaurant, but way underdressed for the group. I asked and everyone had traveled dressed like that. They were surprised I didn't.

I thought that went out in the 60's. Not my first rodeo by any means, but the first time I attended an official gathering before the actual meetings started. I'm in my normal suit and tie today.

Have not been in a suit or worn a tie in decades. I’ll travel in chinos, polo, sweater (if needed). Maybe a button down instead of a polo if going to an office or our HQ. Usually wear some type of desert boot.

I find the newer technical pants like lululemon are way more comfortable for travel than jeans.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Made no difference whether I was traveling during work hours or not. I wore whatever was comfortable. If I wore business attire while flying it was to save me from having to check a bag, and not because of needing to look professional. If a client saw me in the airport in jeans and sneakers, they would not care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

If your standard business attire is formal, I would have dressed formally. How I handle it is below, but this appears to be somewhat unique among the crowd here. In addition, I try and minimize my carryon so would rather wear a sport coat or similar than pack it and be forced to either gate check or fully check and this will absolutely drive my choice of attire.

For client meetings, I typically wear a sport coat or suit. If I was traveling and had a client dinner that evening, I would wear a sport coat or suit as I did last week.

For internal meetings, I typically wear dress pants and a button down shirt, if I had dinner with an internal group, I would wear dress pants and a button down shirt.

If it was just colleagues and I was grabbing something informally, then more casual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you didn't know about the meeting, I don't see how you were dressed could be a problem. When I did a lot more traveling for business, if I wasn't planning on meeting anyone and just going to the hotel, I generally wore/wear sweat pants, t-shirt/sweatshirt, and running shoes. On the plane, nobody knew who I worked for, so dressing to impress a customer was not necessary. If I would have been you, I would have had to go into a bathroom somewhere and changed.

Now if I knew what the agenda was, I would dress appropriately for that event. When I was going into an office every day, I wore khakis and a golf shirt or button down. I'm still somewhat old school and really had a problem with the kids coming in dressed in jeans and sneakers and a lot of the time, just t-shirts, as well. Once I left, they actually told them they needed to dress more appropriately for the office.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I almost never travel same day as a business event, so I’m fortunate enough not to get caught in that type of situation. I travel in what might be considered “smart casual” clothes. Nothing dressy, but nice dark jeans and a casual shirt. Mostly I just have an old guy dislike of the trend I see of people traveling in PJs, or flip flops and dirty tank tops.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't travelled for business in a few years but I always wore jeans and a button up shirt or golf shirt. I have never had a dinner that I need to get to directly from the airport. Usually travelled at night for stuff the next day.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rarely travel by air for business, but when I do it's no different than when I travel for personal reasons. Dark khakis or not-busted Carhartts, zip up fleece, often a pair of Chelsea boots because they're easy to get on and off when going through security.

I do the majority of my work in the tech sector, so even on the rare chance I were to see a client in the airport or on a flight, they'd probably be wearing jeans and a hoodie anyway. (I once showed up to a client meeting in suit and tie, and the client CFO looked at me and said, "fuck, are we getting sued...?")

If I'm driving to a meeting, I will wear what I'm supposed to wear to the meeting itself. I know one or two people who will wait to put on a button down shirt once they've arrived at the destination so it doesn't get too wrinkled on the drive, but those people are sort of anal retentive weirdos :)
Last edited by: wimsey: May 7, 24 7:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Business attire melts my brain as an engineer. I work in a product development center overwhelmingly the attire is jeans, boots, t shirt (typically our brand). Higher ups might go for a polo, but for the most part they are T shirts or shop shirts too.

It is how we congregate at airports too, just look for a branded T shirt and you found a coworker to have a beer with.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Business Travel Wear [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Since you didn't know about the meeting, I don't see how you were dressed could be a problem. When I did a lot more traveling for business, if I wasn't planning on meeting anyone and just going to the hotel, I generally wore/wear sweat pants, t-shirt/sweatshirt, and running shoes. On the plane, nobody knew who I worked for, so dressing to impress a customer was not necessary. If I would have been you, I would have had to go into a bathroom somewhere and changed.

Now if I knew what the agenda was, I would dress appropriately for that event.

<THIS>
Quote Reply