Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Lake Placid on 1x set up?
Quote | Reply
Hey folks, I am wondering if anyone who has raced IM Lake Placid can speak to the grades of the climbs? Has anyone raced this on a 1x set up? If so, do you recall your gearing? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid on 1x set up? [Flanny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1X should be fine. I've ridden around there enough on a 1X road bike. 48t front, 11-32 out back.

Nothing in LP is *that* steep. It's just relentless pedaling with very few breaks.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid on 1x set up? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
1X should be fine. I've ridden around there enough on a 1X road bike. 48t front, 11-32 out back.

Nothing in LP is *that* steep. It's just relentless pedaling with very few breaks.

doesn't this somewhat depend on the riders ability to generate power and his weight ?

Are you sure a 200lb rider with a 180 FTP would be ok on an IM ?

I never rode LP but they wouldn't be OK at Tremblant for example
Last edited by: marcag: May 2, 24 11:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be fine as long as you have a 30 or 32 on the rear. The back half of the 2nd loop will be traumatic no matter what gearing you choose...have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid on 1x set up? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

doesn't this somewhat depend on the riders ability to generate power and his weight ?

180 Watts could certainly be your target power for the bike leg at 200lbs, and in that case it's a borderline gear choice. For a 5% grade at 200 lbs with a 48-32 gear ratio you'd need to push 211 watts to grind away at 68 rpm.

Good resource for customizing this math for yourself - https://www.bicyclegearcalculator.uk/derailleurgears.htm
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid on 1x set up? [scenicRoute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scenicRoute wrote:
marcag wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

180 Watts could certainly be your target power for the bike leg at 200lbs, and in that case it's a borderline gear choice. For a 5% grade at 200 lbs with a 48-32 gear ratio you'd need to push 211 watts to grind away at 68 rpm.

Good resource for customizing this math for yourself - https://www.bicyclegearcalculator.uk/derailleurgears.htm

That is a great resource, thanks! FWIW, I am ~150 lbs and suspect I will be somewhere in the ball park of 190-200 watts.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid on 1x set up? [STRINATION] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STRINATION wrote:
You should be fine as long as you have a 30 or 32 on the rear. The back half of the 2nd loop will be traumatic no matter what gearing you choose...have fun!

Is there a single speed category?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid on 1x set up? [scenicRoute] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scenicRoute wrote:
marcag wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

exactly.

A 180 watt target probably means your FTP is in the the 275ish range if you plan to ride at 65%.

I forgot this is ST and everyone's FTP is 400 :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been saying for years that there should be a road bike category in triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid on 1x set up? [STRINATION] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also considering this — when do you think you start getting in trouble with a 1x at Placid?

Would a 56 front 10-33 rear on the bike be unwise for someone in the 220-240W range for a typical Ironman?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid on 1x set up? [Persia1921] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that 56T is a 1X set up...yeah, that probably ain't it.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
56x33 low gear would be unwise for anyone who plans to go below 9 mph on the climbs, even just on the ramps. You want to be able to spin at all times, whether or not you actually do. In a 56x33 you’ll be grinding away cross chained at speeds ~<9 mph taking away any gains from the 56t or the 1x.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lake Placid on 1x set up? [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - that was my suspicion... Looks like 2x it is. Thoughts on a 56/43 with 10-33? Seems like that would get be up a 8% hill at 250W at 70rpm in the 43/33.

Other option would be a 50/37 - but I worry I might want more for the downhills. I prefer a lower cadence 70-75.
Last edited by: Persia1921: May 3, 24 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Persia1921 wrote:
Thanks - that was my suspicion... Looks like 2x it is. Thoughts on a 56/43 with 10-33? Seems like that would get be up a 8% hill at 250W at 70rpm in the 43/33.

Other option would be a 50/37 - but I worry I might want more for the downhills. I prefer a lower cadence 70-75.

I got along fine w/ 36/25 as my easiest gear last time I did Placid, 43/33 is a lot easier than that, so it'd probably be fine. Most of the downhills in Placid are not really pedaling situations in any case.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Persia1921 wrote:
Also considering this — when do you think you start getting in trouble with a 1x at Placid?

Papa bear
Quote Reply