Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wireless blip on basebar, mounting help
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I've been slowly building up my new bike over the winter and I'm at the finishing touches stage. Maybe I'm dense (very real possibility), but is there some clean and tidy way to easily mount the sram wireless blips with the included plastic bracket thingy AND easily be able to use handlebar tape on the bullhorns? I'm not super impressed with the plastic bracket, and would love to find something nicer if you've got any tips. I have the Leap Components for the end of the extensions and they're great and make bar tape an easy thing. It's the bullhorns that I'm struggling with.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Re: wireless blip on basebar, mounting help [gregkeller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plastics cement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe some JB weld and Sugru mould-able plastic?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: wireless blip on basebar, mounting help [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any 3d printed designs yet?
Quote Reply
Re: wireless blip on basebar, mounting help [Chuckie M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 2 parts epoxy cement can be mold easy and dry hard. Very easy to make a simple part quick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s the brake lever situation on your bike?
Any chance to attach the wireless blips there?
On the new SC I used 3m molding tape to stick them to the inside of the brake fluid reservoir.

I love rim brake bikes!
Last edited by: DavidNeu: May 1, 24 15:13
Quote Reply
Re: wireless blip on basebar, mounting help [DavidNeu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavidNeu wrote:
What’s the brake lever situation on your bike?
Any chance to attach the wireless blips there?
On the new SC I used 3m molding tape to stick them to the inside of the brake fluid reservoir.

I went this route for placement but used the double sided gorilla tape and they’ve been rock solid for 2 years.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: wireless blip on basebar, mounting help [DavidNeu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately i'm using rim brake levers, pretty tiny and not flat mounting area. It looks like with some careful cutting of the handlebar tape, I can actually cover most of the blip with tape and just leave the lever out. More arts&crafts than I'm used to using on my bikes, but it'll have to do.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how electronics-crafty you want to get, but some folks are opening the blips up and coming up with new enclosures that mount better in various places. Here's an example, and I think there was also a thread on WeightWeenies.
Quote Reply
Re: wireless blip on basebar, mounting help [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrfreeze wrote:
Not sure how electronics-crafty you want to get, but some folks are opening the blips up and coming up with new enclosures that mount better in various places. Here's an example, and I think there was also a thread on WeightWeenies.

seems to defeat the purpose of a wireless blip, if you're just gonna hack a wire on to it.
Quote Reply
Re: wireless blip on basebar, mounting help [Mudge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mudge wrote:
mrfreeze wrote:

seems to defeat the purpose of a wireless blip, if you're just gonna hack a wire on to it.
well, I think the Zshift he was using has wired components and it seems to need a BlipBox. Maybe this hack allows for no BlipBox? I can't quite tell. But at least for the purposes of OP, the idea would be to crack open the clic and repackage it into a better form-factor - and if I understand, almost any compatible contact-switch could be used by wiring it to the circuit board. I don't know how small the circuit board is, but if it's small enough to fit into e.g. the aero bars then an arbitrary switch could be the aero bar end-plug with short wires to the board and all be "wireless" within the aerobars, no blip box needed.
Quote Reply
Re: wireless blip on basebar, mounting help [mrfreeze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's kinda neat, but beyond what I want to attempt to do with this. I'm going to go with the moldable sugru. I figure I can make something that cradles the blip, and then wraps around most of the handlebar, and will allow me to easily tape over it, tape holding down the whole contraption. If I'm careful I should be able to make it pretty clean.

Thanks everyone for all of the ideas, much appreciated.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregkeller wrote:
That's kinda neat, but beyond what I want to attempt to do with this. I'm going to go with the moldable sugru. I figure I can make something that cradles the blip, and then wraps around most of the handlebar, and will allow me to easily tape over it, tape holding down the whole contraption. If I'm careful I should be able to make it pretty clean.

Thanks everyone for all of the ideas, much appreciated.
I like that approach! By chance when you’re done would you mind sharing a pic? May consider this approach for a project coming up.
Quote Reply
Re: wireless blip on basebar, mounting help [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think I'm gonna go this route. Have you used Sugru before? I'd never heard of it till you mentioned it, but would it work for a whole grip? Like instead of bar tape? I'm wondering if I can mold a custom thing that just holds the blip and wraps around the entire bar. I'm sure it would be pretty good for the bullhorns but wonder how grippy it would be when wet. I got enough on order to probably give it a try either way.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve used it briefly to fill some frame holes but nothing like what you’ve described

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply