Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How does your family do more important adult birthdays?
Quote | Reply
Not kids, but when the adults have a milestone birthday. Could be spouse, parents, etc... Who plans, how much is the person whose birthday it is involved in the planning or setup, who would you have come? Etc...

Reason I'm asking is I'm sitting back watching mine come rolling up soon, and I remember my parent's milestone birthdays from when I was a kid. Their 40th for example. They had family and some friends, IIRC it was a rented local restaurant room or hall, etc... We've been around town locally and I've seen the balloons and groups of people.

So far, I'm seeing "nada". I was politely told if I wanted to ride with my bike folks that weekend or do something I could set that up myself and do it entirely outside the house. Otherwise, it's feeling like the typical "minor adult birthday" at home with some Indian takeout and a takeout slice of cake from the local bakery.

A guy's weekend separately was floated, but riding wise my freaking BIL poo poo'd doing the "half waffle" BWR Asheville as he thought the people would be too uppity. FFS. And I don't see anything else on the calendars near where I would want to have a weekend ride/brew kind of thing other than that.

But she basically has zero contact info or barely names of any of the weeknight group ride guys I have pal'd around with for years now. Not confirmed her BIL is even in town or not that I sometimes have some whiskey with.

Just getting the feeling I may need to be prepared for a letdown.

When the wife turned 35 I did custom year 1987 Taboo game, everyone dressed 80's, I curated music playlist, etc... For 35th.
Quote Reply
Re: How does your family do more important adult birthdays? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want a birthday party - plan one. Or ask your wife to.

ESP is a terrible language to expect others to speak.
Quote Reply
Re: How does your family do more important adult birthdays? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For my 50th, my wife and daughter rented a local club, invited a bunch of friends and threw me a surprise party. My dad snuck into town and they had food catered and hired a DJ. It was a blast.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: How does your family do more important adult birthdays? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:

This. If it matters and it's something you want, tell her. If she doesn't want to plan it, do it yourself (but tell her). At least you'll get what you want.
Quote Reply
Re: How does your family do more important adult birthdays? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:

Yeah, that was the source of the question. Basically being told to plan something myself, outside the house, on my own if I want to do something where there's more than basically the nuclear family plus one or two. I would go ahead and say "it would be nice to......." but I feel like it was made clear to me they won't be doing that.

As I would have some folks to the house for cornhole and board games and firepit time and drinks and stuff, but without an outright ban it's been made clear to me for some reason they never want folks over. And if it's "out somewhere" then it's all on me to plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Party at the house with friends and family like any other. Maybe use the "importance" as leverage to get people to come who might not otherwise come. I just use my birthday every year as an excuse to see people, drink beer, and eat cupcakes. I don't like being feted.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
As I would have some folks to the house for cornhole and board games and firepit time and drinks and stuff, but without an outright ban it's been made clear to me for some reason they never want folks over. And if it's "out somewhere" then it's all on me to plan.

Sorry, that sucks. Couldn't imagine not having people to my house. Only a few people aren't welcome in my house and they are some of my kid's friends who have no respect for anything.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my 40th birthday, I took my wife to New York for ten days and we ate at nine restaurants with 2 or 3 Michelin stars. Le Bernardin was our favorite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a kid I recall a family friend’s 40th where they bussed a group 2 hours south to a picnic area next to a lake for a bbq ‘piss up’.

My mum’s 50th was a large, catered sit down at the family home. Parents organised.

Brothers 40th was a large 80’s themed dress up at his place organised by him and his wife. Even booked a Delorean for everyone to have their pic taken with. Everyone committed to dress up.

Sister’s 40th was a Miami themed thing at her complex’s pool and bbq area she organised.

So if nothing else happens you can have a LR masked drinking session on Teams that looks like the Brady Bunch intro on steroids.
Last edited by: mv2005: Apr 26, 24 13:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Not kids, but when the adults have a milestone birthday. Could be spouse, parents, etc... Who plans, how much is the person whose birthday it is involved in the planning or setup, who would you have come? Etc...

Reason I'm asking is I'm sitting back watching mine come rolling up soon, and I remember my parent's milestone birthdays from when I was a kid. Their 40th for example. They had family and some friends, IIRC it was a rented local restaurant room or hall, etc... We've been around town locally and I've seen the balloons and groups of people.

So far, I'm seeing "nada". I was politely told if I wanted to ride with my bike folks that weekend or do something I could set that up myself and do it entirely outside the house. Otherwise, it's feeling like the typical "minor adult birthday" at home with some Indian takeout and a takeout slice of cake from the local bakery.

A guy's weekend separately was floated, but riding wise my freaking BIL poo poo'd doing the "half waffle" BWR Asheville as he thought the people would be too uppity. FFS. And I don't see anything else on the calendars near where I would want to have a weekend ride/brew kind of thing other than that.

But she basically has zero contact info or barely names of any of the weeknight group ride guys I have pal'd around with for years now. Not confirmed her BIL is even in town or not that I sometimes have some whiskey with.

Just getting the feeling I may need to be prepared for a letdown.

When the wife turned 35 I did custom year 1987 Taboo game, everyone dressed 80's, I curated music playlist, etc... For 35th.

Is there a, "birthday parties are for children" camp?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I turn Medicare eligible in August. I'm thinking of taking myself to France or Hawaii. Like others said - plan your own party!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't really celebrated a birthday since I was 16. Just not my thing. However, as 40 approached I felt like it would be fun to throw a party. We ended up having a baby 2 months prior, so, we were too exhausted to plan anything and the day came and went with little fan fare.

The year before, my wife had a miscarriage on her 40th birthday. That really sucked. A friend, who didn't even know that my wife was expecting, sent her a belated birthday card a couple weeks later that read "better late than pregnant!"

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:

Yeah, that was the source of the question. Basically being told to plan something myself, outside the house, on my own if I want to do something where there's more than basically the nuclear family plus one or two. I would go ahead and say "it would be nice to......." but I feel like it was made clear to me they won't be doing that.

Some people are party planners and some are not. Sounds like you are and wife is not.

Plan your self a party. Invite the guys over for corn hole. Get it catered. Enjoy your birthday.

It’s your house if you want to have a party.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I reached a memorable age, ending in a zero, D'Wife threw a surprise party for me that March

My birthday was the previous Halloween 🎃🖤

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you really want to do if up to you? Then ask for it.

I turn 50 in a little over a year. While I really don't care, I am taking advantage of the milestone. I laid it down that I really want to take a big trip as a family. That is my wish more than anything else. Everyone is on board, and benefits.

If you want a party, have one. Family trip, plan it. If you want take some buddies and do BWR (with or without BIL), or spend a week doing RAGBRAI, have at it.
Quote Reply
Re: How does your family do more important adult birthdays? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
For my 40th birthday, I took my wife to New York for ten days and we ate at nine restaurants with 2 or 3 Michelin stars. Le Bernardin was our favorite.

This sounds awesome.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply