Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: what are we reading / listening to [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just finished "Exhalation" by Ted Chiang - kinda like a Black Mirroresque collection of sci-fi short stories which offer hope for humanity.

Now reading "Yellowface" by Rebecca F Kuang.
Quote Reply
Re: what are we reading / listening to [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am into astronomy these days. Finished reading "The realm of the nebulae", just picked up "The structure and evolution of the galaxies".
Quote Reply
Re: what are we reading / listening to [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend suggested Sally Fields book In Pieces and I really enjoyed reading it. The audio book was read by her so it seemed more real hearing it from her. I was surprised in a lot of ways with starting with her life from an early age, telling of her abuse and sharing how it affected her and her relationships.

Starting on John Lescroart’s The Missing Piece. I enjoyed going through his legal thriller books in order and once I caught up I moved on to others. Nice to see it is typically good like his others so far.
Quote Reply
Re: what are we reading / listening to [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always love listening to Sandford’s books and was sorry to see that when Richard Farone passed away.
Quote Reply
Re: what are we reading / listening to [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Quote:
My buddy's wife just published her first novel, a thriller entitled Nightwatching, so that's next on the list.

I like thrillers. Please let us know how it is.

Just to follow-up, the book was excellent. In fact it was the winner of Jimmy Fallon's March Madness book club so my buddy's wife will be a guest on the show next month.
Quote Reply
Re: what are we reading / listening to [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Masters of the Air.

I started slowly reading after the AppleTV+ series came out. Mostly reading it while on flights to NY and FL. Maybe not the best book to read while airborne ;-).

One doesn't have to be an aviation or WWII enthusiast to appreciate what those airmen went through but it helps. I had family that fought WWII in Navy (subs, Pacific theater), US Army (Clark Field, and Bataan Philippines), and the US Army Air Corps (European theater). Hearing their stories first hand, then reading a book like this one and really makes me appreciate what hell WWII was.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A crazy Dystopian adventure , to me part Heart of Darkness & Apocalypse Now where the 7 member crew have their memories erased have to work togehter on a mission using previous expertise.

Red River Seven - A.J. Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: what are we reading / listening to [HiKai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chip wars - amazing history of the microchip business

Prisoners of geography - super interesting non fiction about how countries’ geography drives cultural, economic and political behaviors.

Next on the list: life after power. Stories about how US Presidents lived and handled post presidential life
Quote Reply
Re: what are we reading / listening to [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I 2nd Prisoners of Geography,

Very eye opening and has me researching more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished another book for work - “Master of change: how to change when everything is changing, including you”, by Brad Stulberg.

I was aware of him and his books by some of the endurance sporting people that I follow on Twitter, but come to find out he’s married to one of our attorneys. When we have the discussion of the book in May, he’s actually going to call in to our meeting, which should be interesting.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get married. By Brad Wilcox. How married people are as a group happier and doing better than non married. He isn't dogmatic about it marriage isn't for everyone. But overall having a co pilot is great

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not reading it NOW, but I have read Moby Dick in its entirety three times, as well as numerous abridged versions - from the very abridged children's book edition I brought home from Mystic Seaport when I was 6 or 7 which introduced me to the story, to Classics Illustrated one which I bought (maybe I stole it?) from the comic book rack at our local drug store in CT, the paperback we read in high school, a fully annotated edition ( which adds nearly 30% to the unabridged page-count), and graphic novelizations

https://semi-rad.com/...erary-ultramarathon/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: what are we reading / listening to [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a long book. The description of flenching a whale is almost a book in itself

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: what are we reading / listening to [spockman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of people go right to that, for some reason? LOL

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: what are we reading / listening to [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
reading a reread - The Double Bind (Chris Bohjalian)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HiKai wrote:
I 2nd Prisoners of Geography,

Very eye opening and has me researching more.

This was an excellent read. Currently, I am reading "cosmology, a very short introduction".
Quote Reply

Prev Next