Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Marathon prep with only 3 runs per week and a ton of tempo? Stupid? [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7 days no running before the race... did you bike at least? should have just done easy miles instead of 0 running
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon prep with only 3 runs per week and a ton of tempo? Stupid? [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kudos for a good effort.

I agreed, the week you felt the deep fatigue, you would have been better off just going into recovery mode. We have all screwed a good build cycle by not giving the body enough time to repair itself from the accumulated load.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon prep with only 3 runs per week and a ton of tempo? Stupid? [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
A 3:16 when the goal is sub 3 is a pretty epic ‘kaboom’. Depending on his age, it might even be almost a min per mile too slow to be able to qualify and register for Boston.

Failed miserably, depending on context, is totally a fair self assessment here.

Yeah these are some strange responses... 16 minutes off target is 23sec/km. That's more than the difference between my open marathon pace and IM marathon pace, which feels way slower.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon prep with only 3 runs per week and a ton of tempo? Stupid? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:
Or maybe he should be allowed to quantify his performance. One man's PR at 3:16 is another man's miserable failure. I "ran" a miserable 3:14 at Boston on my only attempt and I can say the walking, trudging, leg cramps were as miserable as I have ever been.
I sensed absolutely zero arrogance in his post that needed to be censured. Fast people have a right to fail and say they failed miserably.

FWIW, 12 years or so ago I totally blew up in a marathon, hit the halfway mark at maybe 1:28 or so, finished in 3:09 completely disgusted with myself. Now I'd be thrilled to finish, period. So I can see both sides on this one.

For the OP, yeah, didn't work out like they wanted but also worth remembering that some people follow all the right guidelines, do the traditional buildups with the high mileage, etc., and still blow up toward the end. Marathons are weird that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon prep with only 3 runs per week and a ton of tempo? Stupid? Update: I failed ;-( [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're sure you weren't bonking after 20 miles? I wonder this has not been discussed yet in this thread (or I missed it).
Quote Reply

Prev Next