Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Oceanside 1st race of the IM Series - Predictions - Mens [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Who the fook are the dudes #41-80? They really need to bump up the entry barrier to become a pro. Kind of embarrassing.

Well M55 is or was the National 3km indoor record holder for indoor track, ran at NAU and is a sub 28min 10k guy but struggled to run the high mileage that most at NAU ran (maybe 1 too many indoor in that sentence but hey it's early). he also tried to race ITU and won some development races, one with a broken seat post. Slowman wrote about him here

M60 is a former national team rider/pro cyclist who has also placed top 5 OV pro's at Oside a long time ago (maybe 3rd iirc) who was beating the F out of amateurs the last few year and still finishing with times in the top 10 OV at 70.3 so decided to race pro again.

M69 was a guy who used to beat the snot of the AG 70.3 fields are well. Poor swimmer really good runner, also typically has a poor bike set up. I once, maybe twice at races pointed out how poorly his bike was set up on IG. used to leave 1-2 minutes on the table just from that, might still, IDK

M41 is a local to Tucson pro. Poor swimmer, solid bike and run. Won't be a factor but would be near the top of the AG field

If any of these 4 raced AG they would be the top seed or one of the top in their AG and let's face it, a lot of age group athletes, maybe the majority, would rather see them race pro instead of AG.

Big props to abundant_pasta_ aka Matt for getting on here and posting a bit about himself. Same with TriSki20 and mathematics. I wish more pros would do that.

Mathematics, Matt and TriSki20, all you guys should put links to your IG or Youtube in your signature line on ST. It's a great way to develop a following and if you're a pro gain a few IG followers which sponsors are currently loving according to the pro's I've bike fit and aero tested this year.

As for my guess I'm betting on Marc the Shark Dubrick in the top 3 after his top 8 finish at 70.3 Worlds. Former XC runner in college, grew up swimming, came for the DL pathway and recently shaved about 20w of drag off his CdA. Will push >300w on the bike and seems to be really fit now.

You forgot on M60, homeboy just causally wakes up out of bed and can run a 15:15 5k with little training.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 1st race of the IM Series - Predictions - Mens [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People get butthurt that some guy who gets 50th place is racing the professional category. If that same guy was racing amateur they’d be butthurt that he’s beating them and telling him he should go pro (50th place pro would have been 5th amateur, which seems completely normal to me). My guess is fewer than 20 of the MPRO that were at Oceanside are able to make an actual living as a triathlete, the decision to race pro vs AG is largely personal for people qualified to do so.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 1st race of the IM Series - Predictions - Mens [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 49 years old. If I got offered a Pro slot, I'd take it, lol. It would never happen but I wouldn't give a shit what anybody thought and I would be last pro at every race I did. There would definitely be amateurs beating me.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 1st race of the IM Series - Predictions - Mens [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
desert dude wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Who the fook are the dudes #41-80? They really need to bump up the entry barrier to become a pro. Kind of embarrassing.

Well M55 is or was the National 3km indoor record holder for indoor track, ran at NAU and is a sub 28min 10k guy but struggled to run the high mileage that most at NAU ran (maybe 1 too many indoor in that sentence but hey it's early). he also tried to race ITU and won some development races, one with a broken seat post. Slowman wrote about him here

M60 is a former national team rider/pro cyclist who has also placed top 5 OV pro's at Oside a long time ago (maybe 3rd iirc) who was beating the F out of amateurs the last few year and still finishing with times in the top 10 OV at 70.3 so decided to race pro again.

M69 was a guy who used to beat the snot of the AG 70.3 fields are well. Poor swimmer really good runner, also typically has a poor bike set up. I once, maybe twice at races pointed out how poorly his bike was set up on IG. used to leave 1-2 minutes on the table just from that, might still, IDK

M41 is a local to Tucson pro. Poor swimmer, solid bike and run. Won't be a factor but would be near the top of the AG field

If any of these 4 raced AG they would be the top seed or one of the top in their AG and let's face it, a lot of age group athletes, maybe the majority, would rather see them race pro instead of AG.

Big props to abundant_pasta_ aka Matt for getting on here and posting a bit about himself. Same with TriSki20 and mathematics. I wish more pros would do that.

Mathematics, Matt and TriSki20, all you guys should put links to your IG or Youtube in your signature line on ST. It's a great way to develop a following and if you're a pro gain a few IG followers which sponsors are currently loving according to the pro's I've bike fit and aero tested this year.

As for my guess I'm betting on Marc the Shark Dubrick in the top 3 after his top 8 finish at 70.3 Worlds. Former XC runner in college, grew up swimming, came for the DL pathway and recently shaved about 20w of drag off his CdA. Will push >300w on the bike and seems to be really fit now.

You forgot on M60, homeboy just causally wakes up out of bed and can run a 15:15 5k with little training.

Just an aside and not particular to this guy at all (no idea who he is): as a former collegiate runner, I learned that these guys (I was basically one of the) are way more common than one might think. The thing is that most of them had great difficulty going from 15:00 to 14:00 say, no matter how talented they seemed and how much work they did. It’s like many of them never get much slower even if they stop training, but also never get much faster - regardless of their training. It’s weird. I would love to understand it better.

Some people’s baseline is very fit, but often they don’t respond to, or can’t handle, serious training.
Quote Reply

Prev Next